U2 beats up on Playmates...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the_rehearsal

The Fly
Taken from espn.com -

"Viewership was high throughout Fox's broadcast Sunday, including a 40.7 rating for a halftime show featuring Irish rock band U2. That's more than six times the 6.2 rating NBC got for its attempt at halftime counterprogramming, a special edition of "Fear Factor" featuring scantily clad Playboy playmates doing stunts such as walking a tightrope between two buildings."

[This message has been edited by the_rehearsal (edited 02-04-2002).]

Oh, that is nice.

------------------
"I still can't play guitar
How the hell did I get this far?"

~Bono, Detroit

There is no way we could possibly do infinity push-ups.

I asked a guy in my class today if he saw the half-time show... he replied "no I watched Fear Factor instead"

Now it begins to make sense

it's just a good thing that he's the minority... U2 has got the goods
biggrin.gif

And the ratings are in.....
http://money.cnn.com/2002/02/04/superbowl/superbowl_ratings/

cap_u2.jpg

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - One of the most exciting finishes in Super Bowl history lifted the game's ratings by about 7 percent, according to preliminary numbers released Monday by Fox.

Fox said it scored a 42.5 rating in the nation's 51 largest television markets, giving it a 61 percent share of homes watching television in those markets. Last year's Super Bowl on CBS got a 39.7 rating and a 58 share in the same preliminary measure of ratings, known as "overnights."

The game was not the only ratings winner for Fox Entertainment Group (FOX: down $0.60 to $20.30, Research, Estimates). The half-time show held on to 96 percent of those watching the game just before the break. That blew away NBC's attempt to woo football viewers with an episode of its show "Fear Factor" featuring former Playboy playmates.

The close Super Bowl game Sunday ended with a winning field goal by the New England Patroits and a ratings win for Fox.

Fox puts its half-time rating at 40.7, with a 50 percent share of homes watching television. NBC said that its 8 p.m. episode of "Fear Factor" had a rating of 6.8 and a 10 percent share, when adjusted for the show airing at different times in different time zones.

NBC said the "Fear Factor" rating was not bad for the network in that time slot. For example, the previous week the quiz show "Weakest Link" got a 6.5 rating and a 9 percent share.

The Super Bowl half-time show, featuring rock group U2, beat NBC's "Fear Factor" featuring former Playboy playmates.

"This would have been a good night for us against regular competition, let alone the Super Bowl," said Tom Bierbaum, an NBC spokesman. "When the final national numbers come in, they will be better than we normally do."

Fox said its Super Bowl ratings gain was impressive in view of the greater effort by competitors to offer original programming. Fox said half the network programming from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. was original, compared with 11 percent last year and none two years ago.

The ratings were helped by the closeness of the game, which led to rising viewership during every 15-minute block measured by Nielsen Media Research.

By the 10 p.m. to 10:15 p.m. ET block, which included the two lead changes at the end of the game, ratings reached 46.8 and a 68 share. A year ago, as the New York Giants lost a blowout to the Baltimore Ravens, ratings fell continually during the second half and ended up at 37.7 in the final half-hour of the broadcast.

The late-game ratings gain was a boon to some advertisers, such as candymaker Mars Inc. and drugmaker Roche Group, which picked up spots well below the average $1.9 million Fox got for each 30-second commercial. A history of blowouts in the Super Bowl generally makes the fourth quarter the least attractive time to advertise.

The game got a 56.1 rating and a 78 percent share of television viewers in the Boston market, home of the champion New England Patriots, and a 52.4 rating and an 81 percent share in St. Louis, home of the much-favored NFC champion Rams, who lost the game

wooooohoooo, down with plastic people!
up with actual real human beings!

yay!
biggrin.gif

------------------
' I want to run
I want to hide
I want to tear down the walls
That hold me inside
I want to reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name. . .'
.:. U2: Rock's Unbreakable Heart!

Love is...cold steel/Fingers too numb to feel/Squeeze the handle/Blow out the candle
Love is blindness.../A little death/Without mourning/No call/And no warning...

[Thanks M.P.]

Still wondering what Bono has done with his hair. There's about twice as much of it now as a couple of years ago. Rogaine? Plugs? What can it be?

Those Playboy Playmates never had a chance to beging with!
wink.gif

Glad U2 kicked their butts!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Love will make you mine...
Creep up from behind...
Get you jumping out of your skin...
Angel, it's sink or swim.

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

sorry bout the double post!

[This message has been edited by kariatari (edited 02-04-2002).]

Just read on atu2.com, in their news section, where The Mirror is reporting that the superbowl, including halftime, was the 4th most-watched event in television history.

Viva U2!

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

The people who watched fear factor arent that smart. It came on again at 10.

------------------
Please,
Evil
Acts
Can
End

BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA!
Those loser dumbass ugly pieces of human debris died a quick and humiliating death thanks to U2!!!!
Hooray!!!! Good defeats eveil once more!

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

AAH YES-U2 Rocked that SuperBONO!!!! Who CARES about his hair, playmates or those stupid commercials(i did like the one where the gal kicked that guy side ways!lol)Thank God Britney wasn't on!! Whew-and that boyfriend guy I REALLY don't like now! I have never been so excited and proud of them-in front of 800 million viewers and they thought they wouldn't be able to hold up so add playmates?? U2 ROCKS, Enuff said!

Back
Top Bottom