U2 At Their Peak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevilsShoes

War Child
When do you think U2 were at their creative peak?
Does anyone think it was 1987 with the release of the Joshua Tree? When the band produced some of their greatest and most famous songs. Its certainly some kind of pinnacle, musically, lyrically and vocally the band seemed to vault into a whole other level, they'd never sounded so accomplished and confident in their abilities before.

I should think quite a few forum members will look at 91 with AB as the bands greatest achievement, when they not only produced what many believe to be their finest song ever in One (as well as a handful of other classics), but also managed to totally reinvent themselves and give their career a fresh shot in the arm, securing their survival in the nineties.

Dors anyone think the whole Pop/Popmart campaign was U2's most inspired moment, the album certainly had its share of inventive moments and the tour was ground-breaking n 97.

Anyone think they are riding a high right now, or about to hit an all-time peak with the new album?

What do you think?

they were at their creative best between 1991-1997
AB - ZOOROPA - HMTMKMKM - PASSENGERS - POP
:applaud:

gman said:

Agreed. I would say between UF and the end of the ZOO Tv tour, inc Zooropa. That is quite a long peak!
If I had to choose a specific year, I would be torn between 87 and 91, my personal fave would be 91 because Achtung Baby and ZOO TV are my favurite U2 album/tour. Though I would have to say that The whole Joshua Tree era was probably their most creative time.

I've been thinking a lot about this recently due to Coldplay's "new sound". I'm trying to remember what it was like to hear The Fly for the first time on the radio, and i seem to remember that it completely rocked my head off. It's hard to believe that from their last gigs in 1990 to late 91 that this happened. I think for them that was the most creative period. Not the easiest period but something REALLY special happened. Now days when indie bands try and be weird, like Coldplay, it sounds really forced and not that different. Adding strings doesn't make you sound like the Beatles. But what U2 did in that early 90's period was properly creative and they needed that to survive as a band. Sometimes artists just make music that is bigger than the sum of it's parts, AB is that moment for U2. I honestly believe that they probably wouldn't be able to recreate that or even understand it....

So, you're trying to convey to me that U2 were at their creative peak 21 years ago?

I believe that U2 are a group where the term "creative peak" gets thrown out of the window. They're still making relevant music and the creatvity is still flowing. I see no peaks or valleys.

Irishteen said:
The band's 3 best albums all came from different decades, they have no single creative peak

Completely and 100% agree. Eventually this thread is just going to turn into 20 pages of people arguing about how much the other person's opinion sucks :shrug:

Probably J. Tree era.

But, yes, you could say that the peak lasted through the early 90's too.

Super Glass Half-Full Comment of the Day:

Or maybe they haven't even hit their creative peak yet!!! :hyper:

bono_212 said:

Completely and 100% agree. Eventually this thread is just going to turn into 20 pages of people arguing about how much the other person's opinion sucks :shrug:

And the way people talk about U2 reaching their peak in the 80s, that's so untrue; I mean I think TUF was their best album but there's no reason why their next one couldn't top it.

A band's gonna have weaker albums, every band does. And U2 have always bounced back from weaker albums, War followed October, AB followed Rattle and Hum.

U2 have never made a bad album in my opinion, they've all been pretty much at least great, even HTDAAB; the only fault of that album is that it feels like a collection of songs and not much more.

And for all those who want U2 to experiment again, would you really want a crap experimental album over a brilliant pop one (ATYCLB)? I'd take good songs over failed experiments any day.

And while I'm on this rant, if Pop was a hit album it would of been their sell-out album :wink:

87-95............amazingly eclectic and diverse songs during that period. Band firing on all cylinders. That said, I do appreciate the 2000-present era for different reasons that reaches even beyond the scope of the music that they have released. I believe their relevance should never be questioned. 97 stands on it's own...and I loved that as well.

Creative peak was Achtung Baby.

Performance peak is ongoing. In terms of guitar, bass, drums and vocals, they just keep getting better.

MrPryck2U said:
So, you're trying to convey to me that U2 were at their creative peak 21 years ago?

I believe that U2 are a group where the term "creative peak" gets thrown out of the window. They're still making relevant music and the creatvity is still flowing. I see no peaks or valleys.

:yes:

U2 is at their peak every time they release an album.

Though, if U2 in the 90's didn't exist, they probably wouldn't be my favorite band. So, creatively I say 91-98 (including the Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack) was their peak. I have a hunch that the next album will be their best since then.

I always talk about how I rank the albums, but honestly, even my lowest ranking albums (UF & ATYCLB) still blow away most music that was out during their respective eras. U2 can basically do no wrong. Their entire career is their peak.

Back
Top Bottom