U2 At The Oscars - Post Your Thoughts Here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The "some father's son" line is pretty interesting. "Some Mother's Son" is the name of the story of Bobby Sands, and IRA memeber who went on a hungers strike and died in the early '80s in prison, in Ireland. So, I wonder if they changed it to "father's son" intentionally to avoid any possible symbolic empathy with the IRA? Eh?

Discuss.....

pukebreath said:
The "some father's son" line is pretty interesting. "Some Mother's Son" is the name of the story of Bobby Sands, and IRA memeber who went on a hungers strike and died in the early '80s in prison, in Ireland. So, I wonder if they changed it to "father's son" intentionally to avoid any possible symbolic empathy with the IRA? Eh?

Discuss.....

Good point. I thought it was strange he did not say "mother" as he usually cites a mother in these instances (like POE & MOTD). But then he said "is it yours or is it mine" in which case that makes sense b/c he is a father (not a mother, obviously). But I think Bono is quick enough to think of a ending line if he had used mother- so pukebreath, I'm gonna go w/ you in saying he used father to avoid the IRA implications, and it fit nicely (eerily) with Bono being a father to two boys now. :|

U2Kitten said:

336%3B739523232%7Ffp67%3Dot%3E2327%3D366%3D%3C49%3Dxroqdf%3E232338373%3C366ot1lsi

:cute: aww such a happy family. i just wish adam had a S.O. to pose with. :(

and here is my ultra-girly remark: I :heart: ALI's shoes!!!! :yes:

The change of lyrics was beautiful, echoing the sentiment that a life lost on either side is as equally tragic. Colin Farrell, bless you, a brilliant piece of hero worship. Michael Moore also made the night special. Maybe the academy feared a Moore like attack from Bono in an acceptance speech and gave the award to peroxide boy as a safety measure.

u2popmofo said:
Anyone else notice how moved Daniel Day Lewis was by the performance of "Hands"?

Almost looked like he was crying.

more people have said that he looked like he was crying...i thought i was imagining things...apparently i was either imagining things with a large population of interference, or he actually was crying.

jinn77 said:
Maybe the academy feared a Moore like attack from Bono in an acceptance speech and gave the award to peroxide boy as a safety measure.

I don't agree with that at all. I truly believe Eminem's song was worthy of the award.

I don't believe Eminem's song was worthy, but I don't think they didn't vote for Bono because of anything they thought he'd say. Come on, NO ONE is more volatile and outrageous than Eminem, he might have done anything for shock value up there- grab himself, cuss, threaten his wife and Mom- they knew he wasn't coming, but if they were at all worried about someone's actions they never would have taken a chance on Eminem.

Personally, I don't consider his type of stuff real music. Entertainment, yes, poetry, chanting, okay, but not MUSIC. I'd hate to see the sheet music, LOL! No tune! Any of the nominees were better than him, even that Spirit the horse song by Brian Adams that was up for a Golden Globe is better than Eminem. I mean, no offense to anyone who enjoys him and his music, but an Oscar? No, I just can't accept that as legitimate :down:

Interesting dress, morleigh... and as for edge goes, it's definately cool to wear jeans to the oscars.
they all look cute.

Uh, I think if the Academy was truly determined to avoid controverisal acceptance speeches they NEVER would have awarded an Oscar to Michael Moore. I believe voting for Eminem was just a desperate attempt on the part of the Academy to appear "with it" and "hip." Eminem just pisses me off. I admit, he's got a knack for rhyming and a few of his songs aren't bad, but he would never, ever get the amount of attention he does if it weren't for his shock tactics.

Last edited:
Damn Ali is gorgeous.

Someone really has to start dressing her though.

The black lace has to go.

I am going to make some calls...

The SBS thing was my favorite thing about the Oscars. I screamed when I heard it and my friend was so impressed, saying I had to be the only person in the world who got that. I laughed and said, you don't know the fans on Interference...they're probably talking about it right this minute. :)

No date for Adam?

God, they are all beautiful.

jinn77 said:
Hey Blue room, it was pure supposition so.....eat me

Aww.. let's not say derogatory things to each other just because someone doesn't agree with your assessment. It's not personal. This is a message board, and it's open for free discussion, and people may or may not always agree with what you have to say.

The SBS thing was pretty cool- it was like Larry's mini-protest. Probably not very many people noticed, though (except for us interlanders, of course).

And about the mother's/father's son thing, I assumed that it was a reference to George W. Bush and George H. W. Bush. A father and a son, both involved in wars in the Gulf, etc...

Giant Lemon said:

And about the mother's/father's son thing, I assumed that it was a reference to George W. Bush and George H. W. Bush. A father and a son, both involved in wars in the Gulf, etc...

:hmm: great point

im a bit late in replying about Hands...but I've never really dug the song when it first came out. When they played it live last night, it changed my mind completely. I LOVED it. Very moving, Bono sounded awesome, and I dug Larry's mini SBS tribute at the end. U2 was in fine form.

Me=Happy:yes:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Ann and Larry look cute. (Yes, record this, it's not often I am nice about Ann, hehe ;) ) I really like her shoes. A co-worker really dug Ali's, too. LOL

Yeah, they look good but Morleigh looks amazing!

Giant Lemon said:

Me too. :yes:

You beat me to posting it though. :|

"Is it his or is it mine" Dubya's war, or *our* war? Very sly.

I, too, was excited to hear SBS start. My observations..

I was wondering if the opera part in "Hands" is kind of like "Red Mining Town" for Bono. He got it right in the studio, but can't repeat it well. That's why he sings over the studio recording. .

I thought the Edge's shirt didn't look right solid colored. A design of some sort wouldn't have met dress code though, I suppose.

The cameramen should have spent a little more time on Larry and Adam. I think they were panned for almost a second.

My thoughts: I definitely liked Hands more in this performance than the studio version, which I like but don't love. I missed any SBS reference...But my main thought is that Bono's voice sounded simply exquisite.

I think he's sounding the best he has in something like fifteen years.

HelloAngel said:

He didn't - he sang along to a background tape. He definitely wasn't lip-syncing.

He stuffed up. He partially closed his mouth at once stage during the operatic sequence. It looked appalling. Just like Paul Macartney slipping up in the Hello Good Bye music video.

His mouth definately wasn't in sync for a couple of seconds.

And personally I didn't think it looked that convincing anyway.

JimmyChicken said:

He stuffed up. He partially closed his mouth at once stage during the operatic sequence. It looked appalling. Just like Paul Macartney slipping up in the Hello Good Bye music video.

His mouth definately wasn't in sync for a couple of seconds.

And personally I didn't think it looked that convincing anyway.

Maybe it was intentional. Many artists sing along to backgroud tapes to enhance the overall sound and don't try to pretend they are actually singing.

edit: I mean, they don't try to pretend that they are are not singing without the tape. They're not trying to 'fool' you, in other words.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom