U2 at Dem Convention ? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-28-2004, 03:54 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Polish-American Stronghold PA
Posts: 4,144
Local Time: 02:48 PM
U2 at Dem Convention ?

This rumor doesn't sound very credible. Bono goes out of his way to not be partisan in his efforts to gain AIDS funding in the U.S. Congress. I don't think he will jeopardize those efforts by favoring one convention over the other.
__________________

Oregoropa is offline  
Old 06-28-2004, 03:58 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life
 
MrBrau1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Verplexed in Vermont
Posts: 10,436
Local Time: 02:48 PM
It's Bullshit.
__________________

__________________
"If you needed my autograph, I'd give it to you." Bob Dylan
MrBrau1 is offline  
Old 06-28-2004, 05:15 PM   #3
War Child
 
The Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 564
Local Time: 07:48 PM
Where does this rumor come from?
The Sage is offline  
Old 06-28-2004, 05:46 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life
 
HelloAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: new york city
Posts: 14,534
Local Time: 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Where does this rumor come from?
One of our readers/posters heard a Boston radio station (WAAF) remark that U2 was going to show at the DNC. Beyond that and what is stated in the news blurb, we don't know anything else. We contacted the radio station to see what was up and all they did was cite "U2's love for Boston" as a reason so far, and indicated they were still working on the story themselves.

Personally, I think the story is far-fetched, but I decided to report on the rumor because it was interesting enough.
HelloAngel is offline  
Old 06-28-2004, 09:33 PM   #5
Refugee
 
wolfeden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
Posts: 1,347
Local Time: 02:48 PM
note from another Bostonian...
AAF is well known to be full of crap...
on just about everything...
they are ClearChannel-corporate-owned-radio and frequently uses misogynistic hateful terms and outright bigotry to up its "popularity" with its target audience - Limp Bizkit-listening 19-22 year old white guys. These guys wouldn't know U2 if Edge walked into their studio and played Streets.

If you want real U2 news listen to Keith Dakin on WFNX 101.7 or 92.1.
wolfeden is offline  
Old 06-28-2004, 09:38 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Rachel D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: At the Lettuce Bar
Posts: 6,180
Local Time: 02:48 PM
Radio stations! Bah!
Rachel D. is offline  
Old 06-28-2004, 11:55 PM   #7
War Child
 
Katey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 719
Local Time: 03:48 PM
Ya actually the radio station was first to clarify no they did not have any sort of confirmation but they were looking into it..

I think it was on the radio stations part a case of thinking U2 has an affection for Boston and we heard someone mention this so it makes sense that they would play it.

For all we know it could have been someone mentioning they were going to play a recording of Beautiful Day at the convention and through broken telephone it was twisted into this as U2 performing and the rumour broke out..

But ya far fetched I would say still an interesting note though as for it being Bullshit well that's what all rumours are and they will continue to get better and better .. we do our best to find out if it's fact or fiction and let you know either way
Katey is offline  
Old 06-29-2004, 01:44 AM   #8
genius of compression
Forum Moderator
 
neutral's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: forty miles from atlanta, this is nowhere
Posts: 13,030
Local Time: 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Katey

For all we know it could have been someone mentioning they were going to play a recording of Beautiful Day at the convention and through broken telephone it was twisted into this as U2 performing and the rumour broke out..

That's what I was thinking. I know Kerry has used Beautiful Day as he makes an entrance at a campaign stop. But you guys probably already knew that.
__________________

neutral @ interference.com
neutral is offline  
Old 06-29-2004, 09:59 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,927
Local Time: 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by neutral
I know Kerry has used Beautiful Day as he makes an entrance at a campaign stop. But you guys probably already knew that.
To me, that is the same as an endorsement of Kerry Look, how many times have people tried to use songs and the artist made them stop, saying they didn't want their song associated with the candidate because they didn't support them? So, since U2 hasn't said a word, or might even have approved this, I take it they are not upset about it, even happy about it, and therefore are supporting Kerry's campaign!

I am unhappy with this for 2 reasons:

1. As many of you have said on the thread on the news forum, it is best for Bono not to play partisan politics because no matter who wins, he will need their support for his AIDS battle! Suppose Bush wins, and knowing Bush was for Kerry, he might not be so friendly to let him in the White House next time. Bono has done an excellent job worming his way into Washington and I don't want that to change. It's too important to his cause!

Even if they haven't officially given their permission, their silence allows him to continue using it, which to me is the SAME AS AN ENDORSEMENT!

2. U2 was so upset by the idea of one of their songs being used in a car commercial, they rejected a $23,000,000 bid! They said their music was too special to them and their fans to have it associated with commericals! Yet, they go and allow a politician to use it?? I would much rather see my song connected with a car flying down the highway, or through mountainous terrain, on a happy joy ride than to be associated with a politician, and all the negative things that come to mind with politics!
U2Kitten is offline  
Old 06-29-2004, 10:17 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 05:48 AM
I havent heard Kerry use it since the primaries but I guess we won't know, I would be dissapointed if U2 allowed him to continue using it or didn't allow the Republicans or Independents to use U2 songs.
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 06-29-2004, 12:13 PM   #11
Acrobat
 
OnFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 386
Local Time: 07:48 PM
Republicans will use "Until the End of the World" at their convention.

Sorry, it was there and I couldn't resist.
OnFire is offline  
Old 06-29-2004, 03:36 PM   #12
Refugee
 
wolfeden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
Posts: 1,347
Local Time: 02:48 PM
wolfeden is offline  
Old 06-29-2004, 05:54 PM   #13
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,682
Local Time: 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
knowing Bush was for Kerry
don't we all wish!
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 06-29-2004, 06:37 PM   #14
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,216
Local Time: 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten


To me, that is the same as an endorsement of Kerry Look, how many times have people tried to use songs and the artist made them stop, saying they didn't want their song associated with the candidate because they didn't support them? So, since U2 hasn't said a word, or might even have approved this, I take it they are not upset about it, even happy about it, and therefore are supporting Kerry's campaign!

I am unhappy with this for 2 reasons:

1. As many of you have said on the thread on the news forum, it is best for Bono not to play partisan politics because no matter who wins, he will need their support for his AIDS battle! Suppose Bush wins, and knowing Bush was for Kerry, he might not be so friendly to let him in the White House next time. Bono has done an excellent job worming his way into Washington and I don't want that to change. It's too important to his cause!

Even if they haven't officially given their permission, their silence allows him to continue using it, which to me is the SAME AS AN ENDORSEMENT!

2. U2 was so upset by the idea of one of their songs being used in a car commercial, they rejected a $23,000,000 bid! They said their music was too special to them and their fans to have it associated with commericals! Yet, they go and allow a politician to use it?? I would much rather see my song connected with a car flying down the highway, or through mountainous terrain, on a happy joy ride than to be associated with a politician, and all the negative things that come to mind with politics!
Politicians don't have to ask for permission. They are not using them for commericials or anything else, there are no licensing issues involved at all. The only time musicians ask politicians ask to not use their songs is when they absolutely oppose this persons politics. i.e. when Bruce asked Reagan to stop using Born in the USA. THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSMENT OF ANY KIND.

And here are the reasons it would be bad for U2 to ask Kerry not to use the song.

1. It's introducing the song to people who may not be U2 fans, to an audience that would have no negative connections. People at Kerry rallys are probably Kerry fans therefore there isn't the stigma of attaching something negative. And face it even though U2 don't play partisan, we all know they don't absolutelty disagree with the Democratic party.

2. If they asked to remove the song you may burn those bridges to a future president.

3. Bush is not informed enough or even intelligent enough to know it's a U2 song, therefore there's no risk of burning bridges. Even if he did know it's their song, he really should be worrying about other matters.
BVS is online now  
Old 06-29-2004, 07:27 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,927
Local Time: 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


Politicians don't have to ask for permission. They are not using them for commericials or anything else, there are no licensing issues involved at all. The only time musicians ask politicians ask to not use their songs is when they absolutely oppose this persons politics. i.e. when Bruce asked Reagan to stop using Born in the USA. THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSMENT OF ANY KIND.
I still think it is, by their silence, considering how many artists take songs away from candidates.

Quote:
And here are the reasons it would be bad for U2 to ask Kerry not to use the song.

1. It's introducing the song to people who may not be U2 fans, to an audience that would have no negative connections. People at Kerry rallys are probably Kerry fans therefore there isn't the stigma of attaching something negative.
Not everyone considers Kerry to be something positive.


Quote:
And face it even though U2 don't play partisan, we all know they don't absolutelty disagree with the Democratic party.
I know but you're not supposed to be that open about it if you hope to stay friends with both sides no matter how things turn out.

Quote:
2. If they asked to remove the song you may burn those bridges to a future president.
By the same token, allowing him to keep it could also piss of a future president. Don't forget, this isn't a done deal, Bush might win!

Quote:
3. Bush is not informed enough or even intelligent enough to know it's a U2 song, therefore there's no risk of burning bridges. Even if he did know it's their song, he really should be worrying about other matters.
That is a rude assumption.



Khanada- I meant Bono sorry for the goofup. You can fix it if you have time.
U2Kitten is offline  
Old 06-30-2004, 11:02 AM   #16
Refugee
 
wolfeden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
Posts: 1,347
Local Time: 02:48 PM
look people...

U2 has always been, and always will be political, whether people like it or not. Going on long diatribes about it here is not gonna change that.

In the words of Adam Clayton --
"People say you shouldn't... mix music and politics... I think that's bullshit."

If U2 get word that someone they don't like is using their music at political rallies, they'll put a stop to it right quick, just as Springsteen did, just as Tom Petty did.
And by their silence, you can be certain of their tacit approval, or at least of their tolerance thereof.

There is some fascinating information on the history of "campaign songs" and politics in music here:
http://parlorsongs.com/issues/2002-1...th/feature.asp
wolfeden is offline  
Old 06-30-2004, 11:35 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,927
Local Time: 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by wolfeden

If U2 get word that someone they don't like is using their music at political rallies, they'll put a stop to it right quick, just as Springsteen did, just as Tom Petty did.
And by their silence, you can be certain of their tacit approval, or at least of their tolerance thereof.

My point exactly. By allowing the song to be used, even if only by not stopping its use, is an open endorsement of the Kerry campaign.

Speaking of them being 'political', you know, if Bush had more sense he could see that Bono didn't really like him and he was only being used for whatever good he can get out of him for his causes. If it were me, I'd be pissed. Once you get involved in politics, the two faceness and ass kissing must kick in.
U2Kitten is offline  
Old 06-30-2004, 11:40 AM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 32,748
Local Time: 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
My point exactly. By allowing the song to be used, even if only by not stopping its use, is an open endorsement of the Kerry campaign.
And what would you say when Bush starts using U2 songs too?
Popmartijn is online now  
Old 06-30-2004, 11:48 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,927
Local Time: 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn


And what would you say when Bush starts using U2 songs too?
If he did, I would be certain the band would put an end to it.

If Bush wins, we are in for a boring inagural ball since no hip celebrities will dare risk their name in Hollywood or the music world being associated with him What did he get last time, Ricky Martin!
U2Kitten is offline  
Old 06-30-2004, 11:51 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 32,748
Local Time: 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
If he did, I would be certain the band would put an end to it.
Why?
__________________

Popmartijn is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×