U2 are a disgrace.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unchainedmalady

Babyface
An analogy: If Ford decide to market a new car and subcontract the making of the brakes to an *OUTSIDE* company that fail.....then the buck stops with Ford. Period. They are the ones answerable. That is the same with this f*cking scandalous/illegal/disgraceful mess that U2 have created. The buck stops with them. Period.

We have just been informed by a very nice ladyat TICKETMASTER that the tickets I ordered AS A PAID UP MEMBER OF THIS F*CK UP OF A SITE HAVE BEEN CANCELLED AS THE RULE IS *NOW* ONLY ONE SALE PER HOUSEHOLD!

Where the f*ck did it say that in the info we were given? I have picked through all the b*llocks they sent us and find that there is nowhere that that is the case.

U2.com told the fans they were *LIMITED TO FOUR PER PERSON*

Not four per *HOUSEHOLD*.

I met and live with another U2 fan through the old Zootopia....and now I'm being penalised for it.
No tickets for me because I found love through this band who are forever telling us to be nice to each other. Bono, your turning into a w*nker.

I hope that all the w*nkers involved in this shambles are hanging their heads in shame.

But all is not lost.

What we were able to do was TRANSFER the details to another credit card at another address. So now my brother/mother/sister/ are getting delivered tickets to shows they are not even attending. You couldn't make this shit up. No f*cking wonder the tickets are appearing on ebay, for christs sake.

So hopefully we will get the tickets that we should by law, as I see it, be entitled to.

All that goodwill that U2 gained by playing the US after 9/11 when all else cancelled is in serious danger of being lost.

And before anyone attacks me as bitter for not getting tickets, I still HAVE them. Its just the way that I HAD to get them that goes up my arse like a baseball bat. Sideways.

No amount of apologising by the U2 organisation can right this sorry f*ck up.

Re: Re: U2 are a disgrace.

Lara Mullen said:

So, why are you still going to see him?
:huh:

I was just about to ask that too. I find it amusing that people are harping on about how much they now hate and disrespect U2 ... and are yet still going to a concert. Or even worse, multiple concerts.

Re: Re: Re: U2 are a disgrace.

Axver said:

I was just about to ask that too. I find it amusing that people are harping on about how much they now hate and disrespect U2 ... and are yet still going to a concert. Or even worse, multiple concerts.

And complain about the ticket prices too, but they still pay for what they call "crappy nosebleed seats"

Put the money towards a cause you don't feel so bitter about, it's not like U2 won't fill that "crappy" seat anyway. :shrug:

Ha ha! Yeah...all these people whinging about how the hate and depsise U2 now could easily sell their tickets to someone else (perhaps for charity) but they choose to totally invalidate their whole argument by saying "I hate U2....but am still going to see them...!"

Lara Mullen said:

Because I live in HOPE that I'm wrong. Thats one of the things that I get from the MUSIC, hope.

I still love the band, and the music, its just that like a marraige, we are having problems!

And I know when the stadium comes into view at the show all the fears and anger will be replaced by love and adulation.

Its just that I feel U2 are not treating the fans the way we expect from them. At the moment.

blahblahblah said:
Ha ha! Yeah...all these people whinging about how the hate and depsise U2 now could easily sell their tickets to someone else (perhaps for charity) but they choose to totally invalidate their whole argument by saying "I hate U2....but am still going to see them...!"

I don't understand both sides, those who don't go: ok, fair enough, ticket prices were to high for you. Why keep on screaming about it on the forum?

Those that go anyway: if you REALLY thought tickets were too expensive you wouldn't be going. And you had better not be posting "LOVED THE SHOW" in two months' time.

Please, find another band to follow and leave us solid U2 fans in peace!

Re: Re: Re: U2 are a disgrace.

unchainedmalady said:

Because I live in HOPE that I'm wrong. Thats one of the things that I get from the MUSIC, hope.

I still love the band, and the music, its just that like a marraige, we are having problems!

And I know when the stadium comes into view at the show all the fears and anger will be replaced by love and adulation.

Its just that I feel U2 are not treating the fans the way we expect from them. At the moment.

Your first words in this thread were: An analogy: If Ford decide to market a new car and subcontract the making of the brakes to an *OUTSIDE* company that fail.....then the buck stops with Ford.

If somethat like that happened with a company like Ford, would you ever buy their cars again? If you did, you'd be asking for trouble. When I go to a shop and I get a bad service or the clothes are very poor quality and I do not get any sort of apology or am not treated nicely, I would never go back to that shop. I doubt you would start using Ford cars again in the "hope" that the next Ford car you buy has reliable brakes.

Have U2 apologised yet to their fans. No. I really think they should have said something by now. You would be demanding to be treated properly in a shop if you got treatment like this.

I still love U2's music too, I loved seeing them during the Elevation tour too. I have no doubt that when I am older I will still love U2's music just as much as I do now. Will I ever see them live or pay music towards the U2 company in the future? No. In my opinion, I think recent events have highlighted how greedy U2 really are and I stick by my principles. I don't shop in a place I have complained about in the past. The money that was going towards this concert will be going towards better causes because I have no interest in seeing them live anymore. I hope that other people who still genuinely think U2 are a great band and really care about their fans get the tickets and enjoy the show, I don't understand why people who think like me are still paying for tickets, it boggles me.

Val said:
Please, find another band to follow and leave us solid U2 fans in peace!

Shit remark,,,, let the guy / girl or whatever blow off some steam.

Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 are a disgrace.

Lara Mullen said:

Have U2 apologised yet to their fans. No. I really think they should have said something by now.

U2.com put Ticketmaster's apology (that's more than enough for me) on their site. Paul McGuiness apologised for the trouble with New York show pre-sale and U2.com apologized in that same article. U2 is getting the tickets from EST to put them on sale for fans, and they are adding additional shows on first leg.

People are also confusing services with products with the analogies.
(Ford headquarters will not fix the brakes on your car, the outside company will - even though officially you will complain to Ford company)

I don't think 4 tickets (potentially 4 shows, then) - with help from friends and family it's not hard to overcome that - on this tour is that bad, some people got none.

And let's not start with the idea that those who will not go are somehow better people than those who will.

Last edited:
unchainedmalady said:
An analogy: If Ford decide to market a new car and subcontract the making of the brakes to an *OUTSIDE* company that fail.....then the buck stops with Ford. Period. They are the ones answerable. That is the same with this f*cking scandalous/illegal/disgraceful mess that U2 have created. The buck stops with them. Period.

We have just been informed by a very nice ladyat TICKETMASTER that the tickets I ordered AS A PAID UP MEMBER OF THIS F*CK UP OF A SITE HAVE BEEN CANCELLED AS THE RULE IS *NOW* ONLY ONE SALE PER HOUSEHOLD!

Where the f*ck did it say that in the info we were given? I have picked through all the b*llocks they sent us and find that there is nowhere that that is the case.

U2.com told the fans they were *LIMITED TO FOUR PER PERSON*

Not four per *HOUSEHOLD*.

I met and live with another U2 fan through the old Zootopia....and now I'm being penalised for it.
No tickets for me because I found love through this band who are forever telling us to be nice to each other. Bono, your turning into a w*nker.

I hope that all the w*nkers involved in this shambles are hanging their heads in shame.

But all is not lost.

What we were able to do was TRANSFER the details to another credit card at another address. So now my brother/mother/sister/ are getting delivered tickets to shows they are not even attending. You couldn't make this shit up. No f*cking wonder the tickets are appearing on ebay, for christs sake.

So hopefully we will get the tickets that we should by law, as I see it, be entitled to.

All that goodwill that U2 gained by playing the US after 9/11 when all else cancelled is in serious danger of being lost.

And before anyone attacks me as bitter for not getting tickets, I still HAVE them. Its just the way that I HAD to get them that goes up my arse like a baseball bat. Sideways.

No amount of apologising by the U2 organisation can right this sorry f*ck up.

I phoned Ticketmaster and they confirmed that if you have two subscriptions for the same address, you can purchase two sets of tickets. :huh:

Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 are a disgrace.

Lara Mullen said:

Have U2 apologised yet to their fans. No. I really think they should have said something by now. You would be demanding to be treated properly in a shop if you got treatment like this.

Thanks to everyone who took part in our first U2.Com ticket presale for the European and North American 'Vertigo Tour'.

We know that subscribers experienced difficulties buying their tickets and we're pleased that those problems are now being ironed out.

Most of you have now be able to book tickets for these shows and we appreciate your messages of thanks and support. Sorry that demand exceeded supply for Madison Square Garden NY and Wachovia Centre, Philadelphia shows. We went way over the original allocation.

We really appreciate your patience as this is the first time we've attempted an online presale. New technology ­- including U2.Com - helps us stay in touch with you but also reveals its drawbacks when everyone tries to do the same thing at once.

Don't forget, if you have a subscriber code it will still be honoured when the band plays more dates. There will be more tickets for U2.Com subscribers.

We are very aware that some people seem to have abused the system to scalp on Ebay or similar sites. We are currently looking into the possibility of identifying these people and withdrawing their tickets. Any help you can give us on this would be gratefully received.

I don't mean to focus in on you Laura, but since you made the comment, I am replying.

Maybe the above is not an outright, "I'm sorry, we f'ed up" apology that you were seeking, but I think this is as close as we are going to get (for legal reasons). In the age of lawsuits, saying more would not be advisable.

Still, while an apology is nice, as a wise woman said to me once, "don't say sorry, just don't do it again". The alternative is, "don't say sorry - fix it!" I hope that U2 do both. I hope they learn from this mess and I hope they fix it. And based on that message on U2.com, it appears they are. U2 admit they are aware of the U2.com and Ticketmaster problems, they know of the scalpers and - most importantly - they are trying to correct these issues. U2 are even retracting GA tickets from certain services (like ETS) to make them available to the fans. And U2 are adding more shows. So they are working on the problems. I think this is apology enough.

As for ticket prices, they aren't that much more than the last tour. And they are still well below industry standards. Madonna may have "only" charged $70 for her nosebleed seats, but her floor seats were $300+! In contrast, U2 fans can get floor tickets for $49.50 - which isn't a whole lot more than the ZOO TV tickets ($35).

It seems to me that fans will complain about anything. And your Ford car analogy was perfect. I have a Ford - I like them. But if my brakes failed, I wouldn't be buying another. Same with U2. If they disappointed me so badly, I wouldn't keep buying their CD's or going to their concerts. However, for me, this disappointment hasn't occurred. I think a lot of fans live in some naive world. Maybe I'm a cynic, but I never expected a lot from this presale - just some hope. And maybe U2.com over-extended themselves. Live and learn. But to have this type of uproar seems a bit ridiculous. If you hate them so - good, see ya. :wave:

As someone who has followed U2 since 1981 and as someone who has seen many ups and downs with this band - I SIMPLY CAN'T AGREE WITH THOSE WHO ARE CRITICIZING U2.

Be upset with Ticketmaster. Fanfire and even PM if you must, but leave the band out of this! :yes:

Until we know more than we do now about the intricacies of the presales debacle (I got nosebleed seats), let's give this band who has given us all that they could through their 25 years in the music industry the benefit of a doubt.

I HAVE NEVER KNOWN U2 TO TURN THEIR BACKS ON US - and I don't think that they're going to start now.

WE have shown our lack of judgment and our lack of rational perspective by our constant whining and complaining (which is reaching the ad naseum point with me) and we show NO Love and Respect for U2 and their music by our ungratefunessl and selfishness. :ohmy:

I would seldom say this but I think it is apprpriate now: if you no longer want to show U2 the Love and Respect that they deserve from us - then it behooves you (and me) to find another band to follow.

This ONE obviously isn't for you!

I WILL continue to FOLLOW U2. :wink:

There is much more to this that just a busy server, or too much demand. U2.com didn't provide access to decent seats like they promised. The seats that were available sucked whether the server was availalbe or not.

Is there anyone out there that can tell me why, if U2.com had in fact secured choice seats solely for the pre-sale, why was it that the best seats I could find were behind the stage?

Why in the hell were they supplying "behind the stage" seating for a presale for their paying members? The limited number of seats U2.com offered to their paying fans should have all been good seats, PERIOD.

U2.com ripped us off.

OKay, U2 are the best live band ever. That's a given.
But why are people so desperate enough to pay 40 bucks just so they have a shot at getting good tickets. To me, that's just being naive. I have never been so desperate to get tickets. When the tickets go on sale, I usually wait a few days or a week to try to get tickets. I am not one of these people who waits overnight on line or is spending hours on the phone to get tickets. If tickets are available, great. If not, so what?
I have been in love with this band for 20 years since I was 12 years old. I am the biggest U2 fan in the world. There is no bigger U2 fan than me. But I have never been to their concerts. Sure, I get disappointed when I tried to get tickets for Pop and Elevation, but I don't get upset.
I'm a big Yankee fan, but I don't pout just because I never been to a playoff game or the World Series. And Yankee Stadium is only 20 minutes away from where I live.
My point is, you have to be skeptical of these services that promise you tickets, especially if this so-called service cost 40 bucks.
It ticks me off that these people who were die-hard U2 fans who wanted to shell out 40 bucks are now saying fuck U2. Give me a break. You're either a fan or you're not a fan. If you got dicked, then suck it up and try to get tickets. If you can't get tickets, or well, it's not the end of the world.
BTW, I enjoy my videos of PopMart Mexico City, Slane Elevation and Boston Elevation. That's how I get my U2 live fix.

Lara Mullen said:

U2 use shady unethical business practices nowdays through their website membership and ticket presale fiasco. But that doesn't detract from the fact that they make good music. So I guess the original poster is going to see them because they make great music.

I think the Ford analogy is not the correct analogy. A better analogy would be Nike. They make their shoes through kids in sweatshops in Vietnam - so they are using borderline illegal and unethical methods - nevertheless their product is good. So people want to buy their product because there is no better alternative.

Same thing for U2. They employ bully tactics and shady strategies to sell themselves and ripoff a few people. But let's face it - you won't get a better live show than U2, and their music is still better than anything out there. So you have to live with U2.

Right now, I don't really care if they ripoff a gazillion fans. At least I saw through the facade and wasn't gullible enough to fall for the U2.com bait. So I didn't get ripped off. And so far, the music is good and I still enjoy listening to HTDAAB. So I am not really affected. Although lately while I listen to HTDAAB, I always get this urge to grab my wallet and count if all my money is still intact. But that's just me...

Cheers,

J

unchainedmalady said:
[And before anyone attacks me as bitter for not getting tickets, I still HAVE them. Its just the way that I HAD to get them that goes up my arse like a baseball bat. Sideways.

No amount of apologising by the U2 organisation can right this sorry f*ck up. [/B]

This is just an absolute classic! Funny stuff.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 are a disgrace.

U2girl said:

And let's not start with the idea that those who will not go are somehow better people than those who will.

Maja, I don't want to see them & I think those who are angry with U2 and think they are "w*ankers" are better leaving their seats to someone who genuinely wants to go. I hope that everyone who gets a ticket throughly enjoys the show (I don't think a person is better for not going). I don't think any concert will beat the Slane show for me. I still love U2's music & I will still continue to enjoy their music :)

unchainedmalady said:
Bono, your turning into a w*nker.

Yes - because BONO personally refused to sell you a ticket. Bono personally runs ticket sales. All by himself. He never expected Ticketmaster to do thir job; he should have done it himself, because that's what he does for a living.

That's effectively what all this is saying: and it is just daft.

Oh, incidentally, in this context it's 'you're', not 'your'!:wink:

i am going to chime in as well and say i do think it's rather ludicrous as to how many people are bitching and moaning about how horrible the presale went and complained about how U2 are selling out, they're a disgrace, people have lost respect for the band...and then they go buy tickets anyway.

also, just wanted to let you know you *can* say fuck and wanker here. if you don't believe in saying fuck then why say f*ck?

I don't understand the "Love U2 Unequivocally or Go Fuck Yourself" set on Interference.
You guys are a little weird--or maybe a little pathetic.

I don't love The Rolling Stones unequivocally but I've seen them on two of their last three tours. I know that they're not as good as they used to be. I know that they overcharge for their tickets. I know that they don't really give a rats ass about me.
I know that they started the exciting trend of charging $40 plus dollars to take part in an online "presale" that gives you absolutely no shot at good tickets that already cost too much anyway trend that U2 have so perfected.
I know that every waking moment of their (probably brief) remaining time here on earth consists of finding new ways to charge their fanbase for stuff they already have three copies of.
I know a lot of things but I also know that they're still a very good live band and that a lot can be forgiven when they tear into Tumbling Dice or Gimme Shelter. It's a great nostalgia trip.

I'm sure I'll (briefly) feel the same way when U2 play One or Streets this time around. U2 shows are such a nostalgia trip for me now. A reminder of when they were something a little bit purer. A little richer (thematically if not in the wallet).
A little truer if you will.

So don't act like my attending a show this time around makes me a hypocrite. It's no different from seeing any oldies act.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 are a disgrace.

Lara Mullen said:

Maja, I don't want to see them & I think those who are angry with U2 and think they are "w*ankers" are better leaving their seats to someone who genuinely wants to go. I hope that everyone who gets a ticket throughly enjoys the show (I don't think a person is better for not going). I don't think any concert will beat the Slane show for me. I still love U2's music & I will still continue to enjoy their music :)

I still don't see why any side feels the need to scream, going or not. Pages after pages, side after side...all over the forum. :huh: it's getting crazy.

Your use of "principles" line made me, as someone who might see them, feel like you were suggesting those who go didn't have principles. :shrug: My bad.

You'll never know if anything will top Slane unless you try :wink:
I really hope you still like U2's music, despite your anger since the pre-sale mess.

it's all wrong

I've been a fan for over 20 years - but this ticket mess has left me with a very sour taste in the mouth.
The prices are a scandal.
In the UK - general admission tickets are £60 - that's $113 !!!
How can Bono go on about how a billion people are living on less than a dollar per day when they are charging over a days wages to see them !!!

I don't hate U2 - they are still the greatest band to ever grace this earth. That doesn't mean that everything they do is RIGHT.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 are a disgrace.

doctorwho said:
And maybe U2.com over-extended themselves.

A bit more than over-extended themselves. They were deceptive and even lied in order to rake in $40 memberships. Though I place the blame for this mostly on PM and U2.com, as there is a slim possibility that u2 were unaware of the tactics used to get these memberships.

However, let's face it. $40 is an outrageous amount to pay for any fan club, and this amount had to have been sanctioned by the band. Had they charged half of that, they still would have profited nicely, but $40 bespeaks of pure greed in my opinion. In this my confidence in the bands integrity is sullied, but perhaps I have been naive about them far too long.

According to a recent story in the Chicago Tribune, U2 have apologized for the ticketing debacle, but the decent thing now to do would be to offer refunds for memberships because of U2.com's false claims. I doubt we'll see that happen as most people even on this forum have forgotten (or are willing to overlook) that false guarantees were made to those who bought memberships.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom