U2 appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
Flame me or whatever, but for just a moment I would just like for one moment to have a thread where people talk about what they enjoy about U2, because for some reason, instead of everyone being happy U2 performed two songs, and one five (or six, however you look at it) grammys, they're complaining about the performance, or saying U2 didn't earn them.

Anyway, I just wanted to have a thread for those who believe that the Grammys were a great night for U2, and just appreciate U2 in any way.

Great idea for a thread :up:

What I love about U2? They are still making what to me is excellent music after over 25 years. I love how Bono gives so much of his effort to helping Africa's poorest people. I appreciate U2 for never caring what anyone else thinks. They have proved that you can create music masterpieces by both experimenting and going back to basics. They are incredibly diverse and I hope they continue for another 25 years ;)

Thanks...I couldn't really express what I wanted the thread to focus on and what you just wrote ws it cj :)

I was thinking of doing this earlier today, but I figured no one would post in it, especially on this forum :wink:

Maybe a U2 hater thread would be 5*'s heheee.

catlhere you never cease to make me laugh ;)

But I'm glad I'm not alone in my thoughts

-in before the hatred and mocking starts-

1 more post before this happy love-in ends. :takes a snapshot: Interference history! :hyper:

Say "Cheese!"
1.gif

I've got to frame this :hyper:

Ok. Well i have personally enjoyed u2 for, let me see, 25 years.

I love Larry!!!!!!:drool: :drool: :drool:

They are worthy....they are worthy....they are legends....i worship the ground they walk on...

will that do?

But Grammy's version of One wasn't all that good.

U2 are my heroes. I have been depressed for a while now. Through the hard times, I have learned to get over things because of U2. The beauty of their music is so heart - warming and I can't get enough of it.

Looking on the things that Bono has done in during his lifetime, it makes me look up to him. This has been the case since the launch of Live 8, which I had the pleasure going to (unfortunately didn't get to see U2).

Before Live 8, I have enjoyed listening to the music of U2, especially the song 'One'. I've only recently fallen in love with them (2005) and I will always be a fan!!

I would just like to say, Thank You U2, I love You Forever.

Cool thread by the way!
:up:

^U2 Beginner, same here - they're my heroes too. It is true, music can change people. So, I really appreciate U2's music and message, along with all the very good people here at interference!! :applaud: :bow: :applaud: :heart:

I've never understood the backlash against Bomb, sure it's not the emotional masterwork of the Joshua Tree or the experimental genius of Achtung Baby but it's right behind those, and "Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own" is among their best ever. They definitely deserved to win.

And I think it's ridiculous when people call Bono pretentious for pretending to be some kind of savior, well he's not doing that but what he is doing is getting much more done than any politician, he really knows how to get things done, and 2005 surely proved that, after all he wasn't Time Person of the Year just for having the biggest tour. Also Live 8 helped reinforce that music can be used to support a cause, so Bono and the boys have moved people and made a difference through song and politics.

Also he and Geldof should have won the Nobel Peace Prize (Top 10 finalist though for a rock star? Pretty damn impressive) but they didn't feel like taking a chance and gave it to another "anti-nuclear activist" not that that's a bad cause, but I certainly don't think they accomplished anything in 2005, certainly not what Bono and Geldof did.

can I just say that I was sooo psyched they performed Vertigo on the grammys?!

Some people were maybe getting undies in a bunch wishing for elsewise, but I love Vertigo, it indeed makes me want to burn my house down, and I love it that they played that and won AOTY for the album that opens with it, and I wish I had been at one of the shows where they opened and closed with it..
there, I feel better now thanks!

cheers all...

I love Vertigo too! what a rocker!

:dance: :rockon:

It makes you want to get up and mosh with Bono. :lol:

and the Unos, Dos, Tres, Catorce! makes everyone excited and cheer. Haters just don't know how to have any fun. :madspit:

ThoraSEB said:
As cheesy as this sounds, their music is the soundtrack to my life.

That's just beautiful ThoraSEB. :)

*holds up a lighter in appreciation.... er wait, make that a cel phone* ;)

Really, thank you for this thread! I agree wholeheartedly. They deserve it, every bit of it. It's obvious that the awards are a big deal to them too, and they appreciate it, and are still doing their very best to give us the best they have to offer. I've nothing but respect for them. Congrats U2!

U2 should post here!

And in case one may actually be inclined to...
Come out guys! just tell us who you are already!
:mad:

i like how they know alot of good new music and there 45 ....and how thay look so good :cough cough:adam:cough cough:...how they can still kick ass at the grammys....how they thank there fans alot...there not scared to go all out.....they give me soo much happiness just by being them....how ive met so many great people cause of them and how they made me feel every time i hear them..and that is why i love u2:happy:

Thank you so much for posting this thread. As someone that doesn’t post very much, I would like to say thank you to U2. They have always acted gracefully and appreciative to their fans. They deserve every award they receive. Why? Because their U2, the greatest band in the world.:applaud:

HTDAAB is an amazing album and will probably turn out to be the Album of the decade. Its fantastic that they they are a perfect 8 for 8 with the nominations for this album including album of the year for the first time in 18 years.

These guys are really nice and down to earth, and anyone who has met them will attest to that fact.

Here is a little piece of history that some may have forgotten or never new about. This appeared in the Evening Press, a Dublin newspaper on Monday March 20, 1978

Dublin Boys Top of Pops!

The Evening Press, March 20, 1978

Four Dublin schoolboys carried off the top prize at the Limerick Civic Week Pop '78 Competition on Saturday night.

Sponsored by The Evening Press and Harp Lager Guinness, the competition was to find the most talented and entertaining pop group or showband.

The Dublin boys who attend Mount Temple Comprehensive, and are known as U2 Malahide, headed 36 groups from all over the country and won for themselves £500, plus a trophy.

In second place was Rockster, also from Dublin, and the Limerick group Village were third. The only all-girl group in the contest, Harmony, from Tallaght, Co. Dublin, who got an enthusiastic reception, were unplaced.

The other finalists were East Coast Angels, Dublin, Graffiti, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin, Dragster, Charleville, Co. Cork and Doves, Athenry, Co. Galway.

The adjudicators were Billy Wall, Head of Light Entertainment, RTE, Jackie Hayden, CBS Records, who will select one of the groups for a recording test, Paul O'Brien, President, Junior Chamber, Limerick and Disc Jockey Mike "Rave" McNamara.

The Mayor of Limerick, Cllr. Frank Prendergast, presented the trophy to the winners, and the cheque for £500 was presented by Mr. Colm Clarke, Limerick area representative for Guinness.

Mr. Harry Roycroft, also of Guinness, presented the trophy for the runners-up, and Mr. Alan Maxwell, Sales Promotion Executive in Irish Press Ltd., presented the trophy to the third placed group. Co-ordinator of the event was Mr. Eamon Walkin of Limerick Junior Chamber.

The Mayor, Cllr. Prendergast, said it was the ambition of the Civic Week Committee to cater for as many tastes as possible throughout the week in the city and all competitions were very successful.

He thanked The Evening Press and Guinness for their sponsorship and CBS Records who "definitely had some groups in mind for recording."

Mr. Colm Clarke of Guinness and Mr. Alan Maxwell for The Evening Press replied. Mr. Maxwell said Civic Week was a tremendous effort.

Mr. Jackie Hayden from CBS, a spokesman for the jury, said the standard was a credit to the musicianship.

"U2 Malahide," the winning group, was made up of 16-year old Larry Mullen, of Rosemount Ave., Artane, an Intermediate Cert. Student at Mount Temple, Dave Evans (16), of St. Margaret's Park, Malahide, Adam Clayton (17), of Ard na Mara, Malahide, a Leaving Cert. student, and Paul Hewson (17), of Cedarwood Rd., Ballymun, who is also doing his Leaving Cert.

The group are just a year together and progressed from country music to "doing our own stuff." Paul Hewson said: "This means we can solve our money problems in a big way, particularly with regard to equipment. Now we hope to be able to buy a van."

The boys had to promote themselves. "No one in Dublin was interested in us and we came down here as a last resort," said Adam Clayton, group leader.

All the boys had praise for their school, which encouraged them, and gave them facilities to practise. In particular, they appreciated the help of Mr. Donald Moxham, History Teacher, and Mr. Albert Bradshaw, Music Teacher, at the school.

They appeared on RTE three weeks ago and they came to Limerick with the financial help of their parents -- the trip cost them £60 -- and the support of their fans who travelled with the group to see them triumph.

© The Evening Press, 1978. All rights reserved.

What a band!

Reasons to like U2?
Acthung Baby
Zooropa
Pop
Joshua Tree
New Year's Day
Electric Co
I Will Follow
Bad
The Unforgettable Fire
Slane 1
Croke Park II & III
Vertigo

AND (deep breath)

Mercy!

This is a great thread:happy:

I love to love U2. They're great and I'm a proud fan for a million reasons. There are things that are not so good but... that's normal... they're just human beings that happen to be fantastic.

I laugh at myself sometimes because everytime I listen to the first chords of a U2 song on the radio I turn up the volume our shout for someone to do it when I have the cd with the song :lol:

U2 Beginner said:
U2 are my heroes. I have been depressed for a while now. Through the hard times, I have learned to get over things because of U2. The beauty of their music is so heart - warming and I can't get enough of it.

Looking on the things that Bono has done in during his lifetime, it makes me look up to him. This has been the case since the launch of Live 8, which I had the pleasure going to (unfortunately didn't get to see U2).

Before Live 8, I have enjoyed listening to the music of U2, especially the song 'One'. I've only recently fallen in love with them (2005) and I will always be a fan!!

I would just like to say, Thank You U2, I love You Forever.

Cool thread by the way!
:up:

WOW!!!!!

i would just like to say that i too have suffered from depression for a very long time. i understand. U2 have been my saviour for 25 years and thanks to their music i have found enormous comfort, and insperation.

Thanks guys for giving me the courage and strength that i needed to keep going every day.

U2 will always have a special place in my heart.

Now THIS is a great thread!!!

STING2, thank you for posting that article. "Adam Clayton, group leader"...and all this time I thought he was just the bass player!

U2 makes me happy. They have made me smile time and time again, and I feel blessed that I am living in a world that has U2 in it.

Back
Top Bottom