U2 anectodes in a magazine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Most of it was things already known (the lemon not opening, ordering pizzas, Adam missing out a show, Macphisto's phone calls, Greg Carrol and One tree hill connection, Stuck meaning, Bono meeting the Pope etc...), but there were a few I haven't seen yet :

About the Live aid - it mentions Bono dancing with a fan, and than apparently he drove away on his motorbike for a few days, because he thought it was a mistake. "I questioned the point of rock'n'roll when there are millions dying," he said.

The following four were my favorites :lol:

In 1980, the record label CBS payed them a studio for a day to record eight demo songs. They only did three, because Larry's father came to pick him up, as he had to go to bed.

In 1979, Edge's parents gave him an ultimatum: make it to the top in music business in a year, or go to college.

When U2's career started, Adam's mother had a serious talk with Paul McGuiness as she wasn't sure her son had any talent for a musical career.

Bono is a fan of the band Oasis and everytime he sees their show, he gives them a present appropriate fo their name - a cactus!

Bono on other members:
Adam: "Adam is the most well-mannered member of U2. A man whose bass guitar has mysterous power over women and the only member cool enough who could afford a yacht for all of us to spend a vacation there."

Edge: "The Edge doesn't know all the chords he plays. He makes them up as he goes along. Those chords don't have names. Bob Dylan once said to me: Your songs will live forever, but no one will know how to play them."

Larry: "Larry is the core of U2. He never does interviews. He just lives his life as he'd always done. He's not into fame, because his long time friends from Dublin are still most important to him."

U2girl said:
In 1980, the record label CBS payed them a studio for a day to record eight demo songs. They only did three, because Larry's father came to pick him up, as he had to go to bed.

Bono is a fan of the band Oasis and everytime he sees their show, he gives them a present appropriate fo their name - a cactus!

:lol:

Our local magazine called Stop.

*edit* That anecdote about CBS should be "in 1978", not 1980. And it should read "They only did three because his father came to pick up the 15 year old Larry, as he had to go to bed".

Last edited:
lmao at the Larry going to bed one. That sounds like something my dad would pull on me!!! How embarassing!

U2girl said:
Our local magazine called Stop.

*edit* That anecdote about CBS should be "in 1978", not 1980. And it should read "They only did three because his father came to pick up the 15 year old Larry, as he had to go to bed".

:lol: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :lol: that and the other one of how Larry wanted to be in a jazz band 'cause of his father (and the whole candles around them when they were playing) always crack me up!

Last edited:
U2girl said:

In 1979, Edge's parents gave him an ultimatum: make it to the top in music business in a year, or go to college.

When U2's career started, Adam's mother had a serious talk with Paul McGuiness as she wasn't sure her son had any talent for a musical career.

:lmao: that is so cool..it just shows how young they were when they started! Daddy stops a recording session for bedtime! LOL thanks! I hadn't heard of some of these!

Last edited:
OMG!! how embarassing and SO not rock and roll @ Larry!!!!:lmao:

My lord Adam's mother is mean!! LOLLLL

I'm in tears..my god..

Thanks U2Girl for this info! It made my day!!

"the lemon not opening, ordering pizzas, Adam missing out a show, Macphisto's phone calls, Greg Carrol and One tree hill connection, Stuck meaning, Bono meeting the Pope"

can some1 explain these?? i only know the ordering pizzas one...:censored:

BrownEyedBoy said:
"the lemon not opening, ordering pizzas, Adam missing out a show, Macphisto's phone calls, Greg Carrol and One tree hill connection, Stuck meaning, Bono meeting the Pope"

can some1 explain these?? i only know the ordering pizzas one...:censored:

Ok, I'll try:

the lemon not opening - the 40 ft lemon from the Popmart tour didn't open one night, in Oslo, Norway, I think.

Adam missing out a show - this was on the Zoo era, in Sydney, Australia. Adam went drinking or whatever and he didn't make one of the gigs, Adam's roadie had to play instead of Adam that night.

Macphisto's phone calls - also during the Zoo era, Bono made "prank" calls as Mr. MacPhisto, sometimes to the president of the US, sometimes to call a taxi or to order pizzas, etc...

Greg Carrol and One tree hill connection - Greg Carroll was a man from New Zealand that the band hired as a stage assistant or something, he became very good friends with Bono and he died in a motorbike accident while driving Bono's bike, if I'm not mistaken. One Tree Hill is a place in New Zealand, the song is dedicated to Greg.

Stuck meaning - all I know about this is that the song is dedicated to Bono's good friend Michael Hutchence, from INXS, who committed suicide.

Bono meeting the Pope - he met the Pope in 1999 or 2000, I'm not sure, and I think this was due to Bono's DATA related efforts. Bono gave the Pope a book of Irish poetry, and since the Pope seemed interested in them, he also gave him his sunglasses. Bono relates that the Pope put them on and gave a "devilish" grin. :laugh:

Hope this is of help and I'm not way off on any of these... :wink:

Last edited:
Those are so cute! I especially love Bob Dylan's words about Edge. So cool.

Brown eyed boy: from what I understand, Greg Carrol was a personal assistant to Bono. I remember reading on this forum that he'd often take Ali dancing, and everyone in the U2 crew really made good friends with him. He was killed in a traffic accident while doing an errant for Bono. I read a quote from Edge once how even years later, he'd still feel as if "he was to walk into the room any minute now". Bono sang Let it be and Knockin' on heaven's door at his funeral.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom