U2 and Younger People

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zootlesque said:

LMAO! That goes against the quality of the song, don't you think? :wink:

:wink: Yeah, but at least it suits the music. Native Son was too complicated. :shrug: A mindless rocker is fun every once in a while. :dancing:

Screwtape2 said:
Most middle and high schoolers don't take the time to understand music. Unless you are willing to understand and give in to the lyrics and soundscapes of U2, you're not going to like the band. Notice the difference in the way teens on Interference talk about music as opposed to the average kid in high school. It's always been about exploring music and what it means to you, the decade in which you grew up doesn't change that.

:yes: good point. Sure the music of U2 drew me in, but the lyrics really get to you once you listen carefully. U2 lyrics can relate to things in your own life, which make them so likeable.

I've always noticed I talk differently about music then my friends :lol:

dietcokeofevil said:
U2 is the most loved and hated band on the planet.

Exactly...but the love isn't blind, whereas the hate is. I can see if you listen to their music and it's just not your cup of tea, but the people who bash them for the most part know a few singles at the most, or their image, they don't know anything about music and what U2 has done over the years.

WCF said:
I go to high school, and it seems nobody here listens to U2. People have dozens upon dozens of artists in their iPods, but never do they have any U2. In fact, a lot of people I know hate them. It's always something like "they're too old" to "they just suck" to "Bono is the biggest hypocrite ever" to "they're a bunch of old white guys trying to rock".

I wonder why no young people like them anymore? Is it because they don't have those rippin' guitar solos? Maybe they don't rock enough? Or maybe they just can't appreciate them? It's not like everyone here listens to Fallout Boy or Panic at the Disco, they're no stranger to older music, but it seems U2 doesn't fit into that category. It even gets me thinking, what so unique about U2 that gets people into them in the first place?

Same thing over here! I'm practically the only person in town that listen to U2. Last year, I was laughed at for listening to U2. And now when I wear my U2 Joshua Tree t-shirt, most of the people look at me and go : Ha, U2...

Like what's the deal? Everyone listens to rap around here, I'm not a fan a rap but I don't complain...

In 92/93 when I was in high-school hardly anyone I knew liked them. This was in Southern California as well. I think a lot of my friends and people in high school liked grunge and Metallica and just stuff that didn't seem as weird and flamboyant as U2 were at that time.

I remember it got worse when they put out Zooropa.

I would go out on a limb and say that U2 might have been the high school kids darling band right before the Joshua Tree came out. Back then they seemed to have the cool somewhat mysterious band thing going for them.

In my year I know about 3 other people who like U2.. the others well:
1. Some would be like, "Who's U2?"
2. And others would be like, "Yeah that song One is good, but I don't like anything else."

I don't think people my age although they have heard of them, have never sat down and listened to their albums. Basically they like what they hear on the radio/tv. I wouldn't have liked U2 if it wasn't for my brothers who introduced me to them. The One thing annoys me though, because usually they haven't listened to anything else but that song!

WCF said:
what so unique about U2 that gets people into them in the first place?

My first response was "well if you have to ask".

I talk to different age groups all the time, who say "they aren't really in to U2",
But "sure" they would go see them.
That's where U2 are different. It's obivious, a great deal of the
"I don't really like them" regardless of age, are the very ones who fill the stadiums"
There is something powerful about this band that draws people to them. :heart:
Even the ones who don't want to admit they like them.
(for some odd ball reason):rolleyes:

music.u2 said:
In my year I know about 3 other people who like U2.. the others well:
1. Some would be like, "Who's U2?"
2. And others would be like, "Yeah that song One is good, but I don't like anything else."

I don't think people my age although they have heard of them, have never sat down and listened to their albums. Basically they like what they hear on the radio/tv. I wouldn't have liked U2 if it wasn't for my brothers who introduced me to them. The One thing annoys me though, because usually they haven't listened to anything else but that song!

It's funny you should bring up 'One'. I'm a prefect to a first year class at my school, and last week a couple of them started talking to me about music. When I told them I liked U2, it was the first instance in my school life that I'd heard someone call them 'old' (everyone else just concentrates on the '10 things I hate about Bono' rant). They said they thought the Mary J Blige version of One was not just good (which is highly debatable, IMO) but that it was better than the original. They called the original 'boring', and then proceeded to call the rest of U2's music boring as well. The worst part is that they love the band Westlife - who are rubbish, by the way - and said they were the best band on earth.

Hopefully they'll learn as they grow up, because I remember nearly everyone loved Westlife when I was in first year as well. A total of about 1 person still likes them. Maybe they'll like U2 when they're my age, but until then, I am avoiding hard, flat surfaces for fear of banging my head repeatedly against them in frustration!

evillaurd said:
but until then, I am avoiding hard, flat surfaces for fear of banging my head repeatedly against them in frustration!
^:lmao: yeah thats exactly the same at my school, when it came out last year everyone was like that song is amazing way better than the first one.. and I was like, "Yeah ok, moving on..!" I don't even think some of them had heard the original and so they wouldn't have been able to compare the two.

I don't know any U2 haters or anyone that would dismiss them as "Old" or "Boring" or anything like that. I just wish more people my age would like them :(

Most people at my school listen to rap. Inner-city school.

but it's true, even a lot of the people that listen to some rock music don't like U2 :shrug: still, I remember when Vertigo came out, a lot of people seemed to like it initially. it was only later after overexposure I guess that people got tired of it.

Luckily I've converted some people to U2dom... and there are some casual U2 fans at my school too, which is nice. I've only met a few people that really hate U2. Most just don't care for them, or are indifferent, or don't know anything beyond Vertigo or maybe a couple of the other latest singles.

I've also noticed that the black people at my school tend to give Bono props for his work for Africa, even if they don't like U2 at all. The white people are the ones that call him a hypocrite :| guilty conscience?

U2girl said:

Yeah. Forget stuff like One or WOWY or ISHFWILF or BD, Vertigo FTW.

:yes: Everyone can relate to a loud song about nothing with terrible Spanish count-offs.

:hmm:

And they can't relate to any of the above songs, who have endured the test of time and which years after their release have more universal appeal than Vertigo ?

LemonMelon said:

:yes: Everyone can relate to a loud song about nothing with terrible Spanish count-offs.

REGGAETON

miguelito.jpg

I didn't really appreciate u2 until I was in my mid 20s. I really think it takes somewhat of a mature listener to "get it." I bet when they get older and realize that most "popular" music on the radio is complete crap they will go searching for some good music. I'm sure they will rediscover u2 as well as many other talented bands out there!

Re: Re: U2 and Younger People

sue4u2 said:
My first response was "well if you have to ask".

Well, like I said my knowledge of music is pretty limited. I'm in High School and have only been "in to" music for a couple years. Was never really too attracted to the other stuff.

drdre12 said:
I didn't really appreciate u2 until I was in my mid 20s. I really think it takes somewhat of a mature listener to "get it." I bet when they get older and realize that most "popular" music on the radio is complete crap they will go searching for some good music. I'm sure they will rediscover u2 as well as many other talented bands out there!

I like this explanation, it makes me feel more mature. It must be the themes that U2 sing about, maybe the less mature kids can't relate to them, or don't understand them. Could anyone tell me how the lyrics of U2 compare to others?

It annoys that a lot of kids here only know U2 by Vertigo. But hey, at least Vertigo is considered "alright" here :)

Last edited:
I agree a lot with that two, while U2 can make some amazing sounds, it's the poetry of the lyrics and the mutability over time that make them so compelling to me. Bono's lyrics over the past 30 years have really had something to say about the world around them and have done so in such a deep fashion, at the same time the music around them has complimented them in so many different ways. Their lyrics are usually not very blatant, and no they're not loud, it does take a patient, mature listener.

I am 16 years old, love U2 to death, and have completey given up trying to persuade people about U2. Everyone hates them. But ah well. They missed a kick ass show.

One of my mates said that U2 were 'pussy rock'. I asked him what songs he had heard and he said 'oh that vertigo song.'

I just turned and faced the other way.

I'm 16 and in high school and i love U2 i live and breathe them, their music and lyrics are just incredable but none of my friends appreiciate them, a lot of them haven't even heard of them or a few will say oh that vertigo song, that crap!!! I don't understand why people my age just don't get them at all! I tried to let them listen to some of their best songs but they just reject it so i've given up and i hope they will learn how amazing U2 really are as they grow up.

This is a very interesting thread to read...
I got into U2 when I was 13, about a year after Achtung Baby came out. So over the course of that year I bought all their albums and it became known around school that I loved U2. At this time, i was the only true U2 fan in our group but a couple of mates seemed to get into them almost for something to do, went out and bought most of their albums, then didn't listen to them after a few months. Oh well, at least helped their record sales!
At this time the big U2 fan base was the 16-17 year olds, it seemed every girl that age was into them, and indeed when I went to the Adelaide concert that year they were everywhere.

Through the Pop era I can safely say I didn't have any friends or really know anyone that liked them, but nowadays they are a LOT more accepted in my parts. Most people love some songs by U2, whether its the old-school fans who still claim their peak was in the 80s or the newly converted who love the last few albums.

But like some other people who have posted here I quite often get remarks shot at me for liking them. If i'm wearing a U2 shirt or hat sometimes my friends will say "ohhh U2". Whatever man, I couldn't care less if someone doesnt like them. They've made a big impact on my life for the past 14 years and I am very grateful for that.

It says something about U2's enduring popularity when they set the record for biggest concert ever held in Adelaide last year. What i found interesting was the diverse range of ages, from 10 year olds up to 60 year olds, of all different types of people.

U2 make great music and should be held in high regard and with great respect. Even if someone doesn't like their music there is no reason to go around bad-mouthing them. Although, having said that, I do kind of shoot my mouth off about how I hate emo music and emo kids!

I'm 20 in college and I'm still "the U2 fan" as I was in middle and high school.

I have friends who like Vertigo and Beautiful Day, and occasionally those who know With or Without You, but beyond that I know very few people who actually enjoy their entire catalogue. It's too bad...people are missing out on the good stuff! Their loss.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom