U2 and U.S fans.....Whats the deal? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2004, 02:34 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 03:38 AM
U2 and U.S fans.....Whats the deal?

I'm new around these parts so can anyone answer a question that has been bugging me for ages.What is the attraction with U2 for american fans?You have plenty of bands that you could get into and U.S music seems to dominate the world at the mo so what is it with U2?
Loads of bands/singers from the UK have had a go at cracking the U.S with no success but Bono and the boys have done 'quite'well-why?
Don't think i'm having a pop at our friends from across the pond i'm just interested
ATB-LEE-U2COVENTRYENGLANDUK

Old 11-24-2004, 02:37 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:38 PM
Maybe it has something to do with U2 being the greatest band in the world, and all other music in america totally sucking these days.

Old 11-24-2004, 02:38 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 09:38 AM
UK bands have done quite well over here. Take Coldplay or Radiohead, for example. But U2 seems to do well everywhere - the US, the other Americas, Asia, etc. I think U2 taps into something that's universal, that's shared by people everywhere. They represent a hope, an idealism that life can and will get better, and their music reflects this attitude. Anyone who's been at a U2 concert when 'Where the Streets Have No Name' starts up knows why U2 is so popular the world over. There's an energy in the room that's far bigger than the band itself. This energy spills over into the hearts and souls of the people in the arena. Many have called U2's concerts, 'religious experiences,' and its not much of an exaggeration.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:41 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
Maybe it has something to do with U2 being the greatest band in the world, and all other music in america totally sucking these days.

Have you heard all their albums????
Old 11-24-2004, 02:43 PM   #5
War Child

Local Time: 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Miggy D
UK bands have done quite well over here. Take Coldplay or Radiohead, for example. But U2 seems to do well everywhere - the US, the other Americas, Asia, etc. I think U2 taps into something that's universal, that's shared by people everywhere. They represent a hope, an idealism that life can and will get better, and their music reflects this attitude. Anyone who's been at a U2 concert when 'Where the Streets Have No Name' starts up knows why U2 is so popular the world over. There's an energy in the room that's far bigger than the band itself. This energy spills over into the hearts and souls of the people in the arena. Many have called U2's concerts, 'religious experiences,' and its not much of an exaggeration.
Personally, I don't think thats any exaggeration at all
Old 11-24-2004, 02:43 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

The only decent bands making it in america these days are European anyway (Coldplay, Radiohead, Franz Ferdinand, etc.) The only American band (at least I think they are american ) that has some real talent is Interpol.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:44 PM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 09:38 AM
Lancemc - I agree.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:45 PM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
What is the attraction with U2 for american fans?
Well have you listened to any of U2s albums?
Old 11-24-2004, 02:46 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Americans, contrary to popular opinion, also listen to a lot of music from the British Isles. You're just always going to get our most popular groups, just as we're only going to get the most popular of yours.

Now if only shoegazer music had been more popular in the U.S. back in the early 1990s...

Melon
Old 11-24-2004, 02:46 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

oh wait, REM is still awsome too, forgot about the Athens boys. they've been around for so long though anyway, so they dont fall into the new music catagory either.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:47 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:38 PM
i think the love is mutual. have you listened to 'heartland' (to name but one song about the US)?
Old 11-24-2004, 02:51 PM   #12
Refugee

Jesus they were quick replies!Thanks everyone,i just did'nt think americans had such good taste
Old 11-24-2004, 03:00 PM   #13
War Child

Local Time: 10:38 AM
I've thought about that a lot actually. My taste seems to gravitate more to UK bands than local American bands. Generally, there's a distinct difference in the two approaches. American music (particularly in the 80s, 90s) had distinct solos more often than their British counterparts. The lyrics in American music are more direct and less flowery, while UK lyrics are more abstract.

Again, this is a general assessment and there are obviously exceptions. But I like the melodic nature of UK bands more than American ones. Currently, I'm really getting into The Killers (which I originally thought was a UK band).

Some American bands rated high in my list: Mazzy Star, The Killers, early REM, Evanescence, Cake, and 50 Cent.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:09 PM   #14
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by boystupidboy
Jesus they were quick replies!Thanks everyone,i just did'nt think americans had such good taste
Why wouldn't us American's have good taste? U2 has been around for 25 years, they broke into the American Music industry many years ago. They were the rock band who survived the pop of the eighties and the grunge of the 90's. Bands are now trying to follow their lead.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:11 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

no, let's face it, most americans DONT have good taste in music. Just take a look at our top 40 singles charts and that's that. I'm not saying there aren't millions of us throughout the country that do have good taste, it's just the country as a whole isn't a very good representation of the music industry.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:14 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Most Europeans don't either. I was there for a month, and they have the same kind of manufactured music that we do topping their charts. MOR/Top 40 music, by it's design, has always been disposable teeny bop crap, even back in the 1950s.

Melon
Old 11-24-2004, 03:14 PM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by boystupidboy

We have the best taste in music, when it comes to U2!
Old 11-24-2004, 03:15 PM   #18
Refugee

Americans -good taste-Mcdonalds!!!Only kidding I jealous really cos the US will get the majority of the gigs next year.oh the mighty dollar
ATB-LEE-U2COVENTRYENGLANDUK
Old 11-24-2004, 03:37 PM   #19
The Fly

Local Time: 08:38 AM
America Loves U2 and U2 Loves America

U2 seems to be one of the few bands (American bands included) that don't take every chance to bash on America and Americans.

Sure, we aren't perfect - I can't stand President Bush myself and I'm considered a "liberal" Democrat - but still, even I, am so tired of the hatred directed towards us. The US has done a lot of good for the world and still does more than other countries. America is still a land of hopes and dreams and second chances. We have our problems but we also have so much to be thankful for.

Anyway, U2 have always spoken well of this country - from the music, women, and are fascinated it seems even with "gawdy" side of the States (Vegas comes to mind).
Old 11-24-2004, 03:40 PM   #20
Refugee

Fair comment