U2 and TIVO - aka: what to record

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
I love U2 enough to watch TRL - I'm not ashamed of this.
Marketing blitz - how I love you:)

Thanks for the info!

Hey, at this stage, marketing blitz is allllll good. I wonder if the band purposely waited until Vertigo cracked the Top 40 to debut the video? Wonder if they would have waited until Nov to premiere it if it took longer?

MTV's updated/fixed their listings now...That message the TRL site was giving about getting ready for Monday is now on Friday, and Vertigo is listed properly for Thursday now. Also final times for U2 Makes A Video. Schedule is:

Thursday, Oct. 28
5PM ET Vertigo premiere on MTV TRL

Friday, Oct 29
12AM (Thurs. into Friday) MTV U2 Makes A Video
10AM & 5PM MTV2 U2 Makes A Video

Saturday, Oct 30
2:30AM MTV U2 Makes A Video

Monday, November 1
1AM & 1:30PM MTV2 U2 Makes A Video

Teta040 said:
Hey, at this stage, marketing blitz is allllll good. I wonder if the band purposely waited until Vertigo cracked the Top 40 to debut the video? Wonder if they would have waited until Nov to premiere it if it took longer?

The word is that the editing got behind schedule and they only just finished it last Thursday, which is why everything got pushed back.

Pop Artist said:
MTV's updated/fixed their listings now...That message the TRL site was giving about getting ready for Monday is now on Friday, and Vertigo is listed properly for Thursday now. Also final times for U2 Makes A Video. Schedule is:

Thursday, Oct. 28

Friday, Oct 29

Saturday, Oct 30

Monday, November 1

:hyper: thank you for posting this!

Great times for people who are working overtime to save money for tickets (the things I do for this band!) and thus have no time BUT night to record:)

swandiver said:
THese are really crappy times for people who work during the day and can't stay up half the night. :madspit:

The problem is that the video channels usually only play videos now between 3AM-10AM, when nobody can watch!

Pop Artist said:

Thursday, Oct. 28

Friday, Oct 29

Saturday, Oct 30

Monday, November 1

Now Rock On tv has taken U2 makes a Video off the schedule.
wtf's going on now!! :eyebrow:
I was looking forward to this nearly as much as the video.:madspit: :madspit:

sue4u2 said:

Now Rock On tv has taken U2 makes a Video off the schedule.
wtf's going on now!! :eyebrow:
I was looking forward to this nearly as much as the video.:madspit: :madspit:
it is still on my Digital cable reminder so there is still hope....

I just turned to MTV2 and it says U2 Makes a Video on my satelite but it is NOT U2. This sucks!:mad: :madspit:
I did catch Vertigo at the beginning of CSI tonight, nice...playing over a swingers party :ohmy:

Last edited:
I have MTV on now (momentarily!) and no, it's not on. Just looked on the MTV site at both MTV's and MTV2's schedule and now it's not on either schedule for any of the times that was on the schedule earlier in the week! Either the special got delayed again or eMpTy V (to coin a phrase from the past <g>) decided not to air it at all. :mad: Well, it's a good thing I had set the timer to record TRL, I'll just record over the 42 mins. before Vertigo with other U2 stuff as it happens...:wink:

Last edited:
Would you believe this..

My TV shows in the bottom sidebar....

"Now showing: U2 Makes A Video"

BUT do you want to know what's on?????

"High School Pranks, Scandals, And Conspiracies."

Does MTV even have programming with a bit of intelligence anymore????? Is there some conspiracy to keep them off the airwaves Bad enough they were ghettoized to midnight.

NOW they will be showing it 5 times more but I won't be able to record any of it. I went to my mom's for nothing.

Is there anybody who would be willing to send me a copy when they record it?? PLEASE?????

I don't want to watch it on the computer. I want to purposely have a video copy I can own.

I'm so heartbroken. Tabulating the things I will need to ask people for..

So far: This special, and 2 British programs: the BBC performance, and Bono's recent radio interview.

If anybody can help, mail me at: Spindle40@hotmail.com

Last edited:
Now it says on the bottom of my TV screen:

"Now shwoing: Viva La Bam" (What the heck?!?)

And that's what's on, Viva La Bam.

I've checked other channels...Why is the U2 program the only one that was still mislabled,even though another program was on?

"CSI" Investigates New U2

by Charlie Amter
Nov 2, 2004, 5:45 PM PT

Pity the television fan who doesn't like the music of U2.

After a blizzard of Apple iTunes commercials featuring the band's new single, "Vertigo," blanketed television screens nationwide in October, the band is once again turning to the tube to usher in a second wave of exposure.

To promote their new record, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, which drops Nov. 23, the Irish foursome will pull musical guest duty on NBC's Saturday Night Live later this month. And, in an even more novel strategy, the band is teaming with CBS' runaway hit CSI to will roll out tracks from the album over the next few weeks, E! Online has confirmed.

A snippet of "Vertigo" played in last week's CSI, while the show's 100th episode on Nov. 18 will feature a special remix of the single. Another track, to be determined by the band, will appear on the Nov. 25 episode.

Meanwhile, in a sign that the band is reaching out to a different demo, a mix of the new song "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" is slated to air during the Nov. 25 episode of Fox's The O.C..

While the soundtracks to many TV shows feature modern rock acts to cross-promote the music and sell the show's hipness (see: The O.C., Felicity and even The West Wing), never has a band of U2's caliber taken advantage of the tactic.

Precious few bands wield enough clout to cherry-pick shows for their promotional purposes, especially when the show of choice is the top-rated on television and will air during the high-stakes November sweeps.

"I think that U2 and their manager Paul McGuinness have been extremely smart," says music supervisor G. Marq Roswell of 35 Sound. "The show [CSI] is a proven success and this is a way to expose them to an entirely different demographic that may or may not be aware of their new release."

Roswell, who has worked as a music supervisor on films like Auto Focus and Spy Game, thinks U2 knew exactly what it was doing when the band agreed to license its music to CBS' number one drama.

"When a group like U2, who are so notoriously careful with licensing their music, agrees to rollout three tracks on a show like CSI, that's huge," he says. "That's the McGuinness way. As a manager, he's always been extremely smart in realizing how the music business is changing--and I would have to say he's usually been right about it."

Roswell says U.S. television viewers can expect to see more bands attempting to promote their new records via partnerships with television shows in the future.

"Managers are starting to realize that TV has such a huge audience," he says. "They know the demographics of the shows, and they see immediate sales spikes right after the show airs whether it is CSI or even a WB series."

Aside from the TV blitz for the band's old media fans, U2 is also using the Internet in hopes of enticing some younger music fans who may not be down with the lads from across the pond.

Last week, the band announced it has teamed with Apple to release a special-edition black iPod. "Vertigo" has been available on Apple's iTunes Music Store for weeks and is currently the most-downloaded track on the music service.

And, as if November couldn't get any busier for the biggest band in the world, U2 is considered a lock to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this month in its first year of eligibility. The band, now almost 30 years into its career, was nominated for the Hall of Fame in September.

Ive set my Tivo 3 or 4 times to record it and each time MTV2 puts on something different. I did get to see Video Mods though. The Evanescence one is brilliant.

11/19/04
10:00 pm ET MTV2 Viewer's Choice U2

What ever this means and if this will actually happen is anyone's guess but tivo is set:wink:

Back
Top Bottom