U2 and the RED campaign

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ur i's make a O

The Fly
Hi folks,

I've already tried opening this discussion/debate but it seems that either my original post was a little too cryptic for some people or some people don't really give a shit what goes on outside their little worlds

Anyhow, the jist of it is:

As we know, Bono and others are passionately promoting the very worthy RED campaign with Bono using his status very effectively to round up various high profile people/organisations to support it. Long may Bonos fight for the Worlds oppressed contine(and may he and the lads also continue to make music to inspire millions for years to come).

My discussion centres on the release of a new U2 ipod and the fact that U2's first commercial(& in U2's case non-financial) adventure following the start of the RED campaign does not allow
for any RED. Ignoring the fact that a RED ipod may not be to everyones liking(the RED campaign afterall is not so much about Sales as awarewness), surely this was a good oppurtunity for both Apple/U2 to make an obvious statement for the benefit of the cause/emergency. There might be a number of very good reasons for not using this opportunity to back the RED campaign but I would like to know: do you think that U2 should have actually considered this project in line with the RED campign and if you think they should have, why do you think they went down the road of having another black one? If you think that U2 should not have considered this project to support the RED campaign, what do you think they should do to make their contribution(in addition to the current calls from Bono on the people of the world to join the cause)?

This is not meant to be a controversial post just an open discussion to get to know what we, as people and U2, as OUR
group think we can do more of. What more can we do to highlight the RED campaign and the plight of African people who have HIV/Aids, poverty, global warming, preventable diseases etc etc to deal with? I considered the ipod a good chance....if not, please say why

I don't believe Apple is one of the Red campaign companies - not sure why. But they obviously have a say in the color of the iPod.

http://www.joinred.com/products.asp

Don't see anything about Apple being part of their product line.

Unless you're saying you don't get why they wouldn't be? Maybe it's in the works. There's only like 5 products right now and some of them aren't even available yet, so I don't want to start knocking the campaign/Apple already...

RED isn't about awareness, its about companies helping the poor and using that as a selling point, so for example Apple would use the iPods high capacity, stylish looks as selling points, if it was RED it would also use the AIDS issue as a selling point... its not about awareness.

I am disappointed that the iPod wasn't red, I read a rumour, i think it was in a Sunday newspaper, that a red iPod would come out, so maybe we will see one in the future.

Here's hoping, its a great system!

I too am disappointed in the fact that Apple didnt release the newest iPod as part of the Red campaign. From what I've read on numerous Apple forums the percent of customers who would buy a Red ipod is higher than those who would purchase the newest U2 ipod. It just seems that from Apple's standpoint it would not only be more profitable for business but also beneficial in helping the campaign's success to have launced a red ipod, but apple does this sort of thing all the time, for all I know we'll see a groundbreaking product released next week...

Thanks folks. At least there are rumours and others who feel this was an opportunity. I was not aware of these rumours untill now.

Heres hoping that something is pushed soon...something that high profile would certainly up the ante across the World in creating awareness and of course in raising money for AIDS and the poor in Africa.

Back
Top Bottom