U2 and the Irish tabloid media - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:30 PM
U2 and the Irish tabloid media

Stupid and offensive story today in one of the tabloids here about Bono's daughter allegedly attending a party in some nightclub.

One of the reasons that has been advanced for all four members of U2 continuing to choose to live in their home country when they could of course live pretty much anywhere in the world, is public figures/celebrities aren't bothered as much as in other countries and are more or less left alone.

That might have been true in the 1980s or 1990s but now, the Irish tabloid media is frankly every bit as intrusive as the US or UK equivalent.

When interviewing U2 for his 1987 book, Eamon Dunphy allegedly predicted that, eventually, they'd be driven away by the media.

Thoughts?

Old 01-19-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:30 PM
No, I don't believe they will ever be driven out by the media, that's ridiculous. The Irish media is still very gentle compared to US or UK tabloids. Occassionally some stupid story will occur, but it's more out of boredom or because they need to fill their pages. There is definitely some Bono-bashing going on from time to time, but compared to other celebrities, he and the rest of the band aren't suffering real abuse by the media. To be honest, they don't give the media much ammunition, in fact they are quite boring guys. And it's good that way. I wouldn't bother with any stupid stories, really.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:30 AM
My only thought is an eye-rolling: "Oh noes! College-aged girl goes to party! There's something you don't see everyday ... oh, wait."

I take it they don't show up in the tabloids too often? Maybe it's a slow celebrity news day/week. Should we send Britney over there to help you out?
Old 01-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: If the moonlight caught you crying on Killiney Bay oh sing your song let your song be sung
Local Time: 04:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
My only thought is an eye-rolling: "Oh noes! College-aged girl goes to party! There's something you don't see everyday ... oh, wait."

I take it they don't show up in the tabloids too often? Maybe it's a slow celebrity news day/week. Should we send Britney over there to help you out?
Ya, Paris too.
On second thought, I love Ireland too much, wouldn't do that to them!