U2 & The Editors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onyourkneesboy

The Fly
Listen to the tracks:

Escape The Nest, An End Has A Start, Bones, Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors, Spiders, (the album versions, not live..)

From the album "An End Has A Start" by the Editors.

I was pleasantly surprised that such a young band (this is their 2nd album) could sound so heavy.. The sound is full, it has speed and balls.. gets one pumped up!

Especially "Spiders" has a lot of U2-like melancholy in there... The intro is a little deceiving but when the song is really going, it's turns out to be a real grow-diamond..

Sure some songs have a little "Joy Division"-feel to it but in complete fresh way.

The whole album was produced by Jacknife Lee btw ! I think he did a great job here!

Maybe "rock" really has to do with age/youth?

Aside from Vertigo, there's not much on HTDAAB that sounds so consistantly full of speed as this album does.

I'm not saying that "An End Has A Start" is a better album than HTDAAB, though !! And I'm also NOT saying that U2 should sound like The Editors on their next album...
I would just be cool to find some of the same power, speed and dark atmosphere of this album on U2's next album!

Tell me what you think, (after listening to these tracks)

I love the Editors, and I really enjoy listen to their tracks. But I have to say that they do sound a bit like themselves already in the second album.

And... they don't have much to say: how many times do they repeat "you don't need this disease?"

The singer is hot tho!!!:drool:

I like their first album best I think.
"Lights" sounds a helluva lot like "Wire" to me. I think they remind of Joy Division, Echo and The Bunnymen and early U2 all rolled into one.

I saw them live a little over a week ago. I really like them, and I think they've got a great career ahead of them.

mandrake said:
I can also hear a lot of R.E.M. influence on the Editors, they even cover the song Orange Crush I believe.

Ooh. I'd like to hear that.

I've only heard a couple songs by them, but I agree, definite U2 influence in there (I even see the lead singer striking some young Bono-esque moves in the video for "An End Has A Start". Excellent song, too, by the way). The other comparisons are spot on as well-I really like that there's some bands out now that are going back to that early '80s new wave/post-punk/whatever sound.

I wish these guys the best of luck with their career-will be interesting to see where they go from here.

Angela

i agree, i love EDITORS they are a great new band. definitely a u2 influence which i love. i saw them live in San Diego in september and will see them in San Francisco in February. * they are on a USA tour and tickets are on sale, go see them *

The Orange Crush cover is pretty cool, they played it heaps during SBS coverage of Tour de France

Editors have their moments. My favourite of theirs is Blood off the first album.

Editors are great, both albums are great -- if I had to describe their sound, their songs are very "I Will Follow" ish, fast, packed with a punch and great vocals/lyrics.

I've enjoyed the two Editors records, but how come no one here has mentioned Interpol?

I mean, the similarities are pretty striking, especially in the lead vocals.

For my money, Interpol is the more interesting band. Not that it's an either/or proposition...

I love Editors, their new album is my favorite of 2007, and when I first heard "Bones" I definitely thought of "I Will Follow."

ahittle said:
I've enjoyed the two Editors records, but how come no one here has mentioned Interpol?

I mean, the similarities are pretty striking, especially in the lead vocals.

For my money, Interpol is the more interesting band. Not that it's an either/or proposition...

Actually if you go to interpol's forum on their official site, and editor's forum on their official site, you'll find people annoyed by the comparisons, and both get compared to Joy Division too. However Editors and Interpol don't seem to have ill feeling towards each other, like say the Killers and the Bravery had a few years ago.

The similarity stops at the singer's voices really. Editors lead guitarist uses more effects than Interpol's lead guitarist.

Back
Top Bottom