U2 and Television (the band!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SamanthaPuff

War Child
I bought Marquee Moon by Television, which was one of Bono's favorite albums when he was a teenager. If you listen to it you can tell how it influened Bono a lot, especially his early vocal style. Some of it reminds me of Boy. Does anybody else have this album or have you heard it? Do you agree it heavily influenced U2 in their youth and had a hand in creating what they became?

Gee, I stop reading this forum for a week and look what happens -- someone asks a totally legit question about that great NYC band Television and no one responds! Yep Samantha, I sure do know Marquee Moon; it's one of the seminal albums of the punk era. Just as essential as anything by Patti Smith, Talking Heads, or the Ramones.

Television was a true "guitar band," featuring the double axes of Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd, and they veered towards that same, very white (that is, *not* blues-based) style that typifies the Edge's playing -- exclusively electric (not an acoustic guitar in sight), often minimalistic, earthy and lyrical at the same time.

I wouldn't naturally think of Tom Verlaine's very eccentric singing as being a big influence on Bono. In his case, I think the big influences are Johnny Lydon (when he was doing Public Image Ltd.) and of course Bowie, whose influence on Bono is enormous. But, you never know.

All the bands who grew up on punk knew Television. I actually had the chance to talk to Michael Stipe after an REM concert in '85 and I asked him what all those strange songs were that they played during their encore (I was just a teen and didn't know squat), and he said, "Oh, those are songs by this band called Televsion." I bought the album the next day.

I think I've mentioned this before but I work with Richard Lloyd's mom. She tells stories of Richard and he sounds like a cool guy!

I told her that my favorite guitar player is The Edge , and to tell him that Edge has acknowledged Richard as one of his influences.

I'm sure he was very flattered

:)

Recently Television did a small tour with some other bands. They were at UCLA as part of a festival.

Also they did some dates in Europe.

Back
Top Bottom