U2 and R.E.M.- Michael Stipe Interviewed On New Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gotta love Michael Stipe. You do get the feeling that R.E.M. are often taking notes from U2's career longevity plan, but fair play to them... Looking forward to 'Accelerate.'

mofo82 said:
Can't wait for April 1 :yes:

same! :hyper:

I'm seeing them on May 29th i think...there's so much going on in 2008 I'm very excited...

I wish U2 and R.E.M. would do a show together...maybe R.E.M. open for them..that would be unbelievable :drool:

Rob33 said:
I wish U2 and R.E.M. would do a show together...maybe R.E.M. open for them..that would be unbelievable :drool:

While I agree that it would indeed be awesome if they did a show together, NO WAY IN HELL is REM ever gonna open for U2 or vice versa. Dude, contemporaries don't open for each other!

As for the original post, I wish I could see the video! But I cannot view it at work. :(

Zootlesque said:

While I agree that it would indeed be awesome if they did a show together, NO WAY IN HELL is REM ever gonna open for U2 or vice versa. Dude, contemporaries don't open for each other!

While it's unlikely that REM will open for U2 again, they have opened for them in the past at Croke Park in Dublin on June 29, 1985 on a bill that also included In Tua Nua, The Alarm and Squeeze.

Halup said:
While it's unlikely that REM will open for U2 again, they have opened for them in the past at Croke Park in Dublin on June 29, 1985 on a bill that also included In Tua Nua, The Alarm and Squeeze.

You're right... my bad.

http://www.u2tours.com/detail.src?ID=19850629

Isn't it true though that generally contemporaries don't open for each other? It seems it's always a smaller band opening for a bigger more well known one.

Zootlesque said:

You're right... my bad.

http://www.u2tours.com/detail.src?ID=19850629

Isn't it true though that generally contemporaries don't open for each other? It seems it's always a smaller band opening for a bigger more well known one.

yes that is generally true, however they're are exceptions, and when a band of U2's stature goes on tour, many many people would be honored to play before them...

The most unusual recent circumstance I can think of is Pearl Jam opening for U2 12/9/2006 at Aloha Stadium in Hawaii...i mean Pearl Jam is a pretty popular band, they're usually the main act of the night...but I guess that's a testament to U2 and their greatness :)

and yes, I know these days that it's pretty much hopeless to ever expect R.E.M. to open for U2 but i can still "wish" :wink:

Halup said:

You forgot the Longest Day, 22 June 1985 at Milton Keynes, with The Faith Brothers, Spear of Destiny, Billy Bragg, The Ramones and REM.

Every act except U2 got bottled. You gotta love U2 fans! :rolleyes:

Zootlesque said:

I could see a one or two time type of thing, but that's about it, if it ever happened.

U2 and REM had a very similar career for quite awhile, although REM never quite hit the JT/ ZooTV biggest band in the world thing... Unfortunately their careers have sorta divided with the last few albums.

They are both bands that started out "college" bands(something that later on got called 'alternative') and went mainstream, for the most part on their own terms. In a way these two bands opened up the doors for the alternative rock scene. They've almost been in-step except REM a few years behind. But they both had some underground hits, then the one major single, then the next album just exploded.

U2 had IWF, SBS, NYD, but then they had Pride; the next album JT.

REM had Radio Free Europe, Fall on Me, then had End of the World and One I Love; the next album Out of Time.

After they hit mainstream both re-invented themselves a few times, they both had the respect of their peers, both have played with different genres, worked with their heroes, and for the most part never had any of the typical RnR pitfalls...

Unfortunately REM had a member leave and lost a little momentum, although the new album seems to be one that will turn some things around for them.

Anyways I'm rambling...

I think it will happen, both bands playing the same bill next year. If REM's new album is as good as the live renditions have sounded and the public embraces it into 2009 when U2 tours, I believe it will happen. It seems that REM's scheduled sort of a small tour at this point and I wouldn't be surprised if they schedule more dates, hopefully next year.

Now that both bands have hit huge benchmarks with the R&R Hall of Fame inductions as well as potentially huge momentum from their upcoming releases, and the nature of the close relationships, it would be a huge nod to each other. I guess my faith in the band to be different again is growing. Since the Vertigo Tour's great setlists and opening acts - i.e. Arcade Fire and PJ, and now the Eno/Lanois songwriting collaboration, I think they are in the driver's seat and want to defy old standards as mentioned before about contemporaries co-headlining shows.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom