U2 and international fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
I know U2 has a long range of fans across the world. And I've always wondered how can some fans, who English isn't their primary language, understand U2?

I mean, we can listen to music with a different language, and not know what it means. But if you take some fans, for instance, like Mexico, they sing along to songs like "Still Haven't Found..." and "All I Want Is You" granted they may know (American) English.

Or does the music sound good, and the words from Bono, they really don't know what it means, but just sounds good too? How do they understand?

I think the music itself sounds good. But I'm sure that every fan cares about the lyrics because thats really important. How can you enjoy songs like Love Is Blindness when you don't know what it is all about?
English is not my language but I can tell you that the lyrics are all very important to me and are one of the main things that make me love U2 so much.
I don't know any U2 fan who doesn't care about the lyrics...

The first thing that drew me to U2 was the guitar and Bono's voice, but later on, I knew what the lyrics meant.

theu2fly said:

I mean, we can listen to music with a different language, and not know what it means. But if you take some fans, for instance, like Mexico, they sing along to songs like "Still Haven't Found..." and "All I Want Is You" granted they may know (American) English.

Why American english ..... :| The last time I heard I knew , U2 wrote irish english or something like that , a north-american fan is as international to U2 as a south-american who knows english for instance .

Anyway Kinda didnt have this problem , coz more or less the time I was really diggin into U2 I had already 3-4 years of english

Though of course 1st thing that caught my attention was Edge's sound and voice .

I think that's because music is as important as lyrics. English is not my native language and sometimes I have trouble to understand Bono but I can feel what he/they wants/want to say. I got into U2 because of their music and Bono's voice, I wasn't really interested in what Bono sang (now I am tho).
:scratch:

English isn't my first language, and still I can perfectly understand whatever they sing/say/write...

you don't need to know a language to sing along with it... everybody can sing words they hear, there's no big deal about that... :eyebrow:

My first language is spanish, but I understand the meaning of all the lyrics, I 've improved my skills in english language , just trying to figure , what the lyrics mean.

Nowadays , I can to read almost any text in english.

Some day of 1987, I bought Joshua Tree album, and I started to take my own lessons, (besides school ones), just for the music, just for U2.

Thanks to U2 !

And yes, I sang at the top of my lungs in Estadio Azteca.

Back
Top Bottom