U2 and 9 11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw two Elevation concerts in 2001. One was before 9/11, and the other one was after it. The post 9/11 shows were supposed to be a morale booster to the U.S. and the American people. There was a scroll of the dead lit up on the stage, from all the flights. Bono waved American flags and even wore a NYPD hat at one point. NYC firefighters got on stage with the band at Notre Dame, a show they did exactly a month after 9/11. And the Super Bowl show was a 9/11 tribute. 9/11 had a huge impact on U2 and it showed.

u2bonogirl said:
its too bad that people think their religion is a reason to go and kill people. its like the crusades all over again.
why would somebody even think that god would want them to massacre a different religion than a certain group believes in. if they believe in the loving god then how could you think he would want terror raised in his name?
it boggles my mind. it saddens me to see people torn apart by "religion" like in ireland with protestants and catholics. in fact it happens in my family to this day. my grandma wont have anything to do with my church or even speak of it because im not catholic. she wouldnt see me play guitar for the first time or the piano because it was held in my church

If you look back through history most wars, conflicts, or whatever you want to call them were started because of religion.

RademR said:
I thought the way u2 honored 9-11 in the concerts was great, with his speeches, flags, and bringing on the FD squads.

One thing I thought was really cool though was the way Bono also talked about Islam and muslims in the States here and how they shouldnt be targeted, he compared it to the problems Ireland had. I thought that was great of him, especially because Islam took a hit after the 9-11 attacks. In the concert I attended, he said "The Quran is a beautiful book, the people of Islam are beautiful people, and they have nothing to do with these religious lunatics." I think that got the biggest response from the crowd. I'm Catholic but do have some muslim friends so I thought what Bono said was great.

Bono waxed poetic about religious fanatics and fundamentalists before playing "Please". One thing he said that really has stuck with me was this, "These fanatics take the person of God, who is awe inspiring and immense, and recreate Him in THIER image--which is tiny and pathetic. Now it's a revolutionary with a really good heart that gets me off" That quote inspired my song on Dream Out Loud called Anthem. We need a revolution of the heart...what we need is a desire to go beyond our incular nature and reach out to others in love--that's the kind of revolution I pray for. He is so true it is love that is the only thing strong enough to change the world and it is being in awe of the idea of God's grace that will make an impact.

Last edited:
u2granny said:
gallery4.jpg

Not to be flippant or anything but Bono looks like he is part of the Full Monty in this picture. :wink:

This is turning into an FYM thread :yikes:

That Koran quote is brilliant, puts it into perspective.

That picture though, I am having flashbacks to Discotheque.

Sorry, but whenever I hear about September 11, i always get frustrated because we always hear about the 3000 americans who died on that one day, but not the 3000 african kids with aids who died on that day and every other.....

Just the way I am I guess....

The worst thing about September 11 for me is that its seemed to be the first germ of this horrible west vs islam thing which is growing into something quite disturbing.....could this west vs islam thing grow into something which could result in a third world war? Gee, i hope not, but you never know do ya?

intedomine said:
Sorry, but whenever I hear about September 11, i always get frustrated because we always hear about the 3000 americans who died on that one day, but not the 3000 african kids with aids who died on that day and every other.....

Actually it's double...more like 6500 Africans a day. I like the way you think-alot. We need more like you in this world. :heart:

starsgoblue said:
Yeah, it was a great concert. Very spirtual and emotional. BostonAnne had seats behind the stage and when they got off she saw Bono turn around and say "Wow" to Edge. They felt it too I am sure.

It was a very spiritual and emotional concert. You did a great job pulling out the highlights! :wave:

I didn't see Bono say "Wow" to Edge, but I remember reading that somewhere too.

Attachments

• 3702-6.jpg
    3702-6.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 45
intedomine said:

Bono's prayer that night opened my eyes to the rest of the world.

I want to make a prayer,
just want to make a prayer -
that these times that

we’re living in,
that they pass quickly,
and we get onto the next chapter of our lives
where America and Europe is safe
where the rest of the world is not living on less than a dollar a day,
That's our prayer...

Bono's prayer and reading this speech made by Bill Clinton changed my life.

The Struggle for the Soul of the 21st Century

I've followed Bono into
Jubilee and then to DATA since.

Last edited:
intedomine said:

The worst thing about September 11 for me is that its seemed to be the first germ of this horrible west vs islam thing which is growing into something quite disturbing.....could this west vs islam thing grow into something which could result in a third world war? Gee, i hope not, but you never know do ya?

They weren't all Americans. They were from nearly 60 different countries.

BostonAnne said:

Bono's prayer that night opened my eyes to the rest of the world.

Bono's prayer (starsgoblue edited for content) changed my life.

That concert changed me too. I was in tears and for the first time in my life I felt God's presence. As dramatic as it may sound, I became a beliver after that show. Every time I hear Bono recite Psalm 116 during the Boston DVD, I get choked up. Bono's heart is so beautiful...it must be pure light inside. His spirit moves me to strech my hand out to people that I've left behind--the poor, the weak, and the marginalized. He's my angel...my modern day prophet who pierced my heart. :heart:

Back
Top Bottom