U2 Album drops to No. 2 on the charts= Another IPOD commercial? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2004, 06:50 PM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:53 AM
Big Grin U2 Album drops to No. 2 on the charts= Another IPOD commercial?

HTDAAB dropped to number 2 on the top selling album charts in the United States with a huge 67% drop. The third week might see another huge drop for HTDAAB considering the much anticipated Lindsay Lohan album and a whole slew of rap albums (usually rap albums open big their first week) will be released on week 3. Hmmmm.... out of the top 10 already?

Considering I never ever see Vertigo being played on any of the VH1/ MTV channels as much as I see Green Day, Yellowcard, etc. (even on the extra MTV/ VH1 stations), could another IPOD commercial be in the offing? We know how relatively successful the Vertigo commercial was and how it helped boost album sales to record levels.

Anyone up for another go of U2 IPOD commercials? How about another IPOD commercial with the words- "All Because of You by U2" at the end of it. For some reason I look foward to it.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:55 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 10:53 AM
The Vertigo video was played almost on the hour on VH1 for quite awhile. It's also the number one video this week.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:58 PM   #3
New Yorker

I always miss it then... Like I said, for some reason I always get Yellowcard

How about seeing U2 do another IPOD commercial with the next single?
Old 12-08-2004, 07:10 PM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu

Hwo about seeing U2 do another IPOD commercial with the next single?
More claims of sellout. More exposure at a time where people are saying too much U2 already. I'm scared of the backlash another iPod commercial may cause.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:11 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by AquariumDrinker

More claims of sellout. More exposure at a time where people are saying too much U2 already. I'm scared of the backlash another iPod commercial may cause.
I love the backlash. You get to tell people it's not 1985 anymore.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:19 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:53 PM
The reality was while the sales drop was a big one, the album is outselling what ATYCLB at this same point by a very wide margin this is nothing to panic about.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:23 PM   #7
New Yorker

I dunno... I always remember POP opening big and then dropping off the face of the earth... I'm sure the boys remember that too... maybe a little something to worry about?
Old 12-08-2004, 07:24 PM   #8
War Child

I would love for them to do a commercial about their 25 years of existence. It could be a montage of videos, concerts, and other footage for the past 25 years. C'mion, don't you guys want to see Adam with the blond fro? I think America would love to see Adam when he was like that.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:28 PM   #9
New Yorker

They could do the montage and discreetly place the IPOD in the montage... interesting concept.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:30 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:53 AM
Please, not another iPod commercial! It will just make them look desperate.

I wish people would just be happy with U2 getting to be No. 1 for a week. I hate this obssession with having to the No. 1 all the friggin' time. It has nothing to do with relevance or the quality of music. Lots of amazing artists never make it to the top of the charts at all. U2 should be counting their blessings.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:43 PM   #11
The Fly

i bet once the tour announcement is made and people are in a panic to buy tickets in the coming months, album sales may increase.....i can't see them doing another IPOD commercial and NOT get paid for it. i think it's important for them not to do it, and i'm sure they realize that.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:55 PM   #12
musicidalist

Local Time: 10:53 AM
what also wasn't said is that the #1 record this week (the Jay-Z/Linkin Park thing) sold 368,000 to HTDAAB's 288,000 units which is not horrible. Was anyone really expecting to another 800,000+ week?

I can't believe I have ever been called negative before. I am a fluffy bunny compared to some people
Old 12-08-2004, 07:56 PM   #13
The Fly

They've sold more than a million in two weeks. What are people complaining about?!
Old 12-08-2004, 08:00 PM   #14
New Yorker

Who's complaining? The only thing I'm complaining about is being over-exposed to Yellowcard as opposed to U2 on video channels...

Also talking about future U2 promotional strategies...
Old 12-08-2004, 08:01 PM   #15
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:53 AM
Sales are likely to go up with Christmas approaching. I imagine this week at 288,000 will be the slowest until past the 25th.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-08-2004, 08:20 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:53 AM
Once you start out on top the only place to go is down.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:24 PM   #17
New Yorker

So are people against another IPOD commercial to help promote HTDAAB?
Old 12-08-2004, 08:26 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm sure that I'd survive if the band did decide to go in that direction...but I wouldn't LIKE it, you know? It has no bearing on the music for me, but I guess I'd just be sort of leery about ANOTHER on-TV promotion by U2 not just for U2....also for iPod/iTunes. Does that make sense? U2 commercials don't bug me...U2 selling themselves AND something else just sort of unnerves me. Again, I'll still dig on the music and the band...but I won't like it.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:50 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

POP dropped off the billboard charts fast because from the get go it was being hailed as crap by critics and fans in the USA. POP did just fine everyplace else in the world...still ended up selling 7 million copies 1 million of that from the USA...who would rather listen to babbling rappers that have nothing to say or guitar that is bad enough to give you a headache. I would love to see U2 sell 7 or 8 million in the US with an album again I just dont think its going to happen, no matter how much promotion they do for a variety of reasons, mainly because of their age.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:56 PM   #20
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Yahweh
POP dropped off the billboard charts fast because from the get go it was being hailed as crap by critics and fans in the USA. POP did just fine everyplace else in the world...still ended up selling 7 million copies 1 million of that from the USA...who would rather listen to babbling rappers that have nothing to say or guitar that is bad enough to give you a headache. I would love to see U2 sell 7 or 8 million in the US with an album again I just dont think its going to happen, no matter how much promotion they do for a variety of reasons, mainly because of their age.
Time Magazine, Rolling Stone, Spin Magazine, etc... are US publications and that hailed POP. I believe a lot of US publications gave POP sterling reviews when the album was first released, so the hailed as crap thing is IMO off. As for the fans... outside of CD sales, I never got the notions that the fans hailed it as crap.