"U2 7" CD to be released by Target stores

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MixingBliss

The Fly
It seems like the guys are really putting their heads over the parapet with this one.

A 7-track CD will be released in U.S. Target retail stores called "Rare and Remixed." It features a handful of tracks that were B-sides from the ATYCLB singles.

If I were a casual U2 fan, I'd be wild about this. As it is, though, I'm a bit hot and bothered. I was really proud of myself for collecting these hard-to-find B-sides by buying import singles or stealing them (shamelessly) off FTP Internet sites. I've even compiled them onto homemade CDs and given them as Christmas presents.

It miffs me, just a little, that now they will be available to everyone. I'm being one of the selfish, exclusive fans, I know. All in all, this is a good thing. What do you guys think? The tracks on this $7 disc are:

Always
Summer Rain
Big Girls
Elevation (influx)
Beautiful Day (Quincy-Sonance)
Stuck (acoustic)
Walk on (Nigel mix)

Now, granted, a lot of the Elevation remixes and other two Beautiful Day mixes are left off, as well as those precious early live B-sides. So there's still some that will remain "rare."
This will be a nice item for fans who were too lazy to chase after these rarities on their own.
wink.gif

Also, I'm not one to go around accusing bands of selling out. And I'm not doing so now. But the idea that there's a disc being sold only through Target, possibly with a fat Target logo on it, makes me a bit uncomfortable. It puts U2 in a highly marketed arena that seems unprecedented for them, much like halftime performances at the NBA champs and Superbowl. Not that I mind.

((For non-Americans, Target is an "upscale" discount retailer in the U.S. that sells a variety of items ranging from girls platform heels to heavy-duty power tools. Some stores even include large grocery areas. Despite its improving image, it would be considered a decidedly uncool place by most young music fans to buy records.))

[This message has been edited by MixingBliss (edited 01-18-2002).]

Originally posted by MixingBliss:
This will be a nice item for fans who were too lazy to chase after these rarities on their own.
wink.gif

It will be nice for those who can't really spend the money on all of those singles (though I am guilty of spending money anyway).

I think it's great...the more U2, the better! I also think it's great that casual fans may pick this up and get to hear some great tracks they may have otherwise missed.

------------------
"Baby...can we still be friends?"

Quite frankly I am one of those offended "Lazy" U2 fans who simply does not have the time, funds, or the equipment to track down these "rare" B-sides and remixes. I am very glad that you are proud of yourself for compiling all of these items, I have other things in my life to be proud of.
As far as U2 being a sell out for doing the things that they are doing, (imo) there is a demand for the music they produce so they put it out there. If they didn't put it out there what would they be instead of a sellout?

It's okay. I said I *wasn't* calling them a sellout. I merely said I was a bit "uncomfortable" with it.

And don't be offended. I'm just being playful. My conclusion was I'm glad it's beeing done -- I just wish the band had checked with me first.
wink.gif

(again, being playful)

I think U2-7 is cool but I think MixingBliss's post is a prime example of just how far we are from reality we are in our little U2 world here on the net.

U2 sells MILLIONS of albums. The people that buy it like it. Hundred of thousands of people liked them enough to see them on the Elevation tour.

Web based U2 fan sites like this one or mail lists like Wire only represent a small percentage of the people who liked U2 enough to pay to see them on tour.

This is actually a great thing for the normal U2 fan, the thing we tend to forget is that we are not normal U2 fans.
wink.gif

Hehehehe!!! Sorry I just work with the most horribly onery IT guy and he ticked me off at 6:30 this morning and I've been in a fighting mood ever since...

To be honest, my biggest complaint, if it could be called that, is that there seems to be a corporate sponsorship of this particular title. And I don't understand why.
I'm surprised that the band, if it wanted to widely released these precious tracks, wouldn't put together a rarities compilation, even if it's designated only for the U.S. (since there were no domestic singles) and release it through any CD retailer, so that all music outlets could benefit. Why is Target the only one that gets the rights to sell this title? Perhaps everything is cool and I've just been misinformed.
But, it seems very un-U2like.

I think U2LA is right on the money on this one. Lets face it, most of us here are the die hards and we make up a small percentage of the total U2 fan base. That being said, I cant wait to pick up the Target disc. I dont have the Stuck acoustic or Walk On remix yet (my Best Buy has never sold the imports with those, trust me I check all the time
smile.gif
) so it will be great for me personally and I think it will be for most other U2 fans both casual and die hard.

Regarding why does Target get to offer it? Because they do this with alot of artists and are probebly footing alot of the bill for manufacturing these discs. It is no different really than Best Buy having the Elevation DVD exclusively except Best Buy didnt pay to produce the DVD. Most likely Target helped in this case. Why does it matter anyway? More U2 CD's out there, I cant believe some U2 fans see that as a bad thing.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 01-18-2002).]

Mmmhhmmmm.... OK, sure, sure. Good stuff. Selling more CDs is good... Having more CDs for fans to buy is good. No argument there.

Part of my reaction goes like this:
When I get ATYCLB, I'm thrilled to see a bonus disc. Then I learn there's more than one. I see it as a challenge. U2 is saying, "We're playing with you -- we're hiding little treasures for you, and if you're dedicated enough, you can enjoy them."
I pursue the gems and am happy to get them.
Next, U2 puts out singles with more beautiful material on them. However, they're slightly out of reach from the U.S. market, except at higher prices. Okay, cool, U2 is saying, "We want you to know what it was like when we were kids, running through Dublin chasing after music we loved." So I'm a sport, and with technology on my side I have an upper hand. I continue to enjoy the rewards of this "game." My friends all think I'm the keenest, coolest music collector around. It feeds my Bono-esque ego in disgusting ways.
Now, with this U2-7 release, it's almost like saying, okay, the game's over. Here's the treasure map for everyone.
Again: I think it's cool that now everyone can get this great stuff in one complete little package, and at a great price. But understand my disappointment in realizing that my little game has ended.
... or has it?

Now, of course when I refer to U2's "game," I'm being totally theoretical. Obviously this is all in my head.
Am I a sick fanatic? Yes. Does that matter when I'm grinning my ass off like the only little boy on the block with a new toy? No.
Am I willing to share my little toy with my friends and loved ones? You betcha.

Maybe I'm the only serious collector who feels this way. But I'm willing to bet there were a lot of '80s fans who were a little bummed that they had chased down a dozen or so Joshua Tree-era singles with wonderful B-sides only to have the "Best of" compilation include all those songs. In a psychological way, it almost devalues one's efforts.
((However, I'm also willing to bet many of those same collectors still bought said compilation.))
So, no big deal. I'll just have to dig deeper to find those precious gems.

Disappointed? Even just a little disappointed?

Not at all. Actually, I am quite excited about this cd.

1- I am Canadian. So, even though these B-sides were easier for me to obtain than my fellow Americans, there is still the challenge of getting an American exclusive cd.

2- When the 2 Elevation cd singles were released here in Canada, I only chose to buy one. The one with Last Night On Earth from Mexico of course!
biggrin.gif
So, I currently don't have the Influx Elevation mix and, from what I hear, this remix kicks ass! This means that there will be one song that I do not own a copy of on the Target cd. That is a lot better than none.

3- Perhaps the most important reason I am happy about this new Target cd is that my 6-cd changer has more room for other U2 cds now. Instead of putting 6 cd singles in the cd changer, I can put the Target cd in there, a couple of other cd singles and keep All That... in its permanent home where it should be forever! (right beside the Joshua Tree of course!) In the end, more U2 on the cd changer means more U2 period!
biggrin.gif

So, no I am not the slightest disappointed.

As far as Joshua Tree B-sides go, Race Against Time and Deep Into the Heart (or inside?) are not on the Best Of 80's B-sides. Those are still not easy finds on cd. Not all is lost. Besides, U2 fans of the Joshua Tree-period in the 80's generally purchased 45's and cassettes. The cd format was still in its birth back then. Many fans of U2 then, like me for example, were thrilled to see these B-sides all remastered and on cd. The 45's were great to hunt for back then. The Joshua Tree B-side hunt began in 87. The remastered Best Of B-sides was released in 98. Over 10 years apart. It is a lot different than discussing about hunting for import cd singles in 2001 only to see then domesticated and collected together in 2002.

Sorry, I found that example to be a poor one.

[This message has been edited by Roland of Gilead (edited 01-18-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Roland of Gilead (edited 01-18-2002).]

Originally posted by MixingBliss:
Again: I think it's cool that now everyone can get this great stuff in one complete little package, and at a great price. But understand my disappointment in realizing that my little game has ended.
... or has it?
In a psychological way, it almost devalues one's efforts.

Don't feel too disappointed. Just think of it this way, whereas most people are just now getting to hear these gems, you have been enjoying them for quite some time. You had the head start.

------------------
"Coke does not add life. It might be a nice fizzy drink but it does not add life." - Bono
"Well, it could have been an artichoke, but we wanted a more practical fruit." -Larry
?This is when the band became Depeche Mode!? ? Steve Lillywhite plays some tracks that didn?t make it to the final cut of WTSHNN.

Don't know about any of you. But I sure hear alot of $$$$$$$ singing loud and proud.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

As a collector, the release of this promotional Target item in no way detracts from the purchase of the CD singles that contained those b-sides.

Yes, now "everyone" will have access to those b-sides that you "worked so hard" to obtain. Of course, that's the very motivation for releasing this item. Since U2 did not release CD singles in the U.S., most U.S. fans did not have access to these U2 treats - now they do.

However, just because the songs now appear in another format doesn't mean the imported CDs you worked at obtaining are decreased in value (not that there's much value to them other than their purchase price). These CD singles are still valuable, due to their format and the fact that they do feature other b-side material - namely the live tracks you discussed.

So don't feel bad. You did your friends a wonderful service by creating CDs for them with those songs. Now U2 is doing that same service.

I don't blame the band. I just feel bad for all the independent music retailers who get stiffed again. First Best Buy, now Target.

Target no doubt fronted a fat wad of cash for this "exclusive" release...in the hopes that you'd come in for the CD, and maybe pick up some trash bags and some air fresheners for your car on your way out. It's marketing. I just hate to see my favorite band in the fray.

Selling out? Probably not. But it kind of waters-down that "irony" thing they tried with that K Mart press conference a few years back. Not to mention a little tour called "POPMart." What message were they trying to send back then, anyway?

------------------
"Good night. God bless you. Fuck off."

They were trying to mock pop culture, waltzing around in glitz as if to be products in their POPMart. If the general public knew anything about the band they'd pick up on the irony.

I agree with sula... ollld news lol--but I just wanted to throw in my thoughts on this. I'm cool with it... if there were to be some sales pitch like "U2 should shop at Target", then that may be different (you know... U2/you too)
biggrin.gif
but it doesn't seem to be directly marketing Target. Well, it's a fine line, because it is only going through Target stores...but it's a bit easier for me to swallow without the cheesy line. Anyway, I saw a Burger King commercial last night... it went "BK with BB" or something.... BB King! eek! He was actually walking around the Burger King burger!
biggrin.gif
If U2 shows up in a fast food chain, then I'll be the first to object.
tongue.gif

Wooohoooo!!!!!

Guess what? I went to my nearest Target store about 15 minutes ago. I had to go to buy stuff. I went to the CD section just to see what's up and guess what? I went to the section where they have the new CD's and nothing. HOWEVER, I just went to where the U2 CD's are at and I found them!!!!!

MY TARGET STORE HAD 6 COPIES OF THE U2 "7" CD TODAY!! OH MY GOSH, I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!!!
So you guys guessed it and I bought all 6 CD's!!!! The CD is AMAZING!!

I hadn't heard Summer Rain and Always so that was cool!
I love "Big Girls are Best" and and the remixes are great!!! But the one I really loved and hadn't heard till a few minutes ago was Stuck (acoustic) What a great, great song!!!

You guys are going to love this CD!!!
Anyway just wanted you guys to know this and get ready for a good listen to it Tomorrow when you guys get it!!!

Until Later!!!

Just came back from my Target and they didn't have any. The kid looked and looked in the back, but couldn't find them. He said they should be on tonight's truck and the paper works showed they are expecting only 50 of them.

*sets alarm clock*

------------------
"See, the rock star gets his way! Thank you very much. This feels very Elvis. Thank you."

Bono ~ Houston, Texas 4-02-01

I've got all those songs already
smile.gif
No importing needed because they were all on UK release singles
smile.gif
I don't think ppl not owning them is lazy because some ppl might need the money for other more important things like rent/morgage or food or something like that so it's not fair to call everyone who hasn't got the songs lazy. U2 have started releasing 3 or 4 different CDs for each single now which if luck you can get on an offer for ?10 (not $10 about $15) but most places it is about ?4 per CD so that is ?12 about $18 and $18 is alot of money. Anyone who thinks it isn't remember stuff costs more in England than in the USA and not all ppl are as rich as you anyway. Sorry for babbling

Back
Top Bottom