U2 3D premier - sat. 19.5.2007, 0.30 in Cannes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

perrypickwick

Acrobat
Yes!

On the 19.5.2007 – „U2 3D“ has it’s premier in Cannes (0.30). They will show a 55 minutes version

– some sides say that there will be a fall release of „U2 3D“ with a 90 minute-version.

Perhaps they show in Cannes a version hat will be shown in IMAX theaters (most IMAX-3D-Film have a runtime of 55 minutes) – and a 90 minutes maybe seen on RealD-screens (they have a picture of "U23D" on their website).
http://www.reald.com/

I have high hopes –

„Regal recently "quietly tested" a 20-minute version of the U2 concert film. "It was outstanding. We were just blown away," Campbell said.“
(Campell is Chairman and CEO of Knoxville-based Regal Entertainment Group)
Source:
http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/business/article/0,1406,KNS_376_5528885,00.html

„And that was a day before a preview of footage from concert film "U2 3D" left exhibs buzzing."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117962958.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

What we know right now:

Director: Catherine Owens (video to Original of the species) and Mark Pellington (Arlington Road)

3-D director of photography: Peter Anderson

2-D director of cinematography for the film's 2-D footage: Tom Krueger

Producer: 3ality Digital Entertainment

Soundtrack: Carl Glanville (did also the Chicago DVD sound)

Cutter: Olivier Wicki (it's said 700 hours of footage to be cut)

cameras used: Sony Cinealta 950
Buenos Aires was shot with 9 3D-HD cams (Vincent Pace and James Cameron developed them)

filmed through seven shows during February, March - and a half year later some additional footage in Syndey.
Main event: the two concerts in Buenos Aires (with all cams)

Premier: Cannes-Film-Festvial on 19.5.2007, 0.30

Trailer: is out: as a 2D-Version to find on youtube - here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwWFDFQxn7Q
and on U2.com in a better quality (would be great if someone can posts this better quality version here)

The 3D-Trailer is also out and might be show before "Meet the Robinsons 3D" - but that depends on the particular theater.

Which theaters does it show?
long time it was said the IMAX-Theaters, but now it seems that theaters with the RealD-technology will show the movie. Perhaps both…

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

:drool: :drool: :drool:

and I'm pretty sure that all guys will show up in Cannes

Last edited:
Zooropa man said:
when it is out on theaters, do we have to use those silly 3D glasses?

Yes – you have to. But not the headache-glasses – the technic finally has come to the point that 3D is a wonderful experience. In Hollywood a still revolution is on the way. Most major studios are in the production of 3D movies. Dreamworks for example has announced from 2009 – all movies will be in 3D. James Cameron (Titanic, Terminator) will release a 3D-movie called „Avatar“ in 2009. Robert Zemeckis (Forrest Gump) later this year Beowulf 3D. And also „Journey 3D“ with Brendon Fraser is on the way in 2008. George Lucas has said he will re-release all Star Wars movies in 3D etc. etc.

I really like this sentence from an interesting article : :drool:

"Well, early industry reports are that it's [the U2-3D-movie] amazing, and Real D's Greer describes it as "without doubt the most mind-blowing, incredible capture of 3-D we've ever seen — and we've seen just about everything."

Schklair puts the difference between U2 3-D and Meet the Robinsons this way: "Think of this as, whatever 3-D you saw in that film, think of this as that film on steroids."

http://movies.ign.com/articles/784/784033p3.html

151899973_9f0a8e703f.jpg

grande theater lumiere - that's the theater they will show the movie.

that's the red carpet (o.k. not exactly - picture form last year) Bono will be walking - I just love it. I'm such a big fan of "Rattle and Hum" and now finally - nearly 20 years has passed - U2 will be seen again on the big screen - and in 3D!!!! :dancing:

Cannes? This doesn't seem like something they'd do. Although then again they've been hosting very Hollywood premieres outside of competition for the past few years, like Revenge of the Sith, Da Vinci Code and this year Ocean's Thirteen, which I don't quite understand.

kingofsorrow said:
how do find a 3d theaters in your area?

In the thread someone linked to above, there's a site that lists the cities that have the "Real-D" technology or whatever they're calling it. Apparently those are the cinemas that could (and would, I hope) show the U2 flick.

wow , thanks for all the info , 90 mins . :drool:

as for posting a link for a better quality clip , I don"t
think we can because the official material thingy .

powerhour24 said:
Cannes? This doesn't seem like something they'd do. Although then again they've been hosting very Hollywood premieres outside of competition for the past few years, like Revenge of the Sith, Da Vinci Code and this year Ocean's Thirteen, which I don't quite understand.

?????
of course they will show up - at least Bono - that's just for sure.
The film will play in the main theater of the Cannes-Festival - what do you think? that U2 3D will be the only film where the "main characters" of the movie does not show up...???

I really look forward to the guest list...

kingofsorrow said:
how do find a 3d theaters in your area?

- to find a RealD cinema near you:
http://www.reald.com/
on that side is a link - and also the Trailer in a very good quality (but I have problems with that flash player -
:( - the picture is shaking all the time)...

What I would give to be there.

From U2.com

Tickets to ‘U23D’ in Cannes

Preparations are well underway for ‘U23D’ at the Cannes Film Festival tomorrow night. U2.com can exclusively confirm today that all four band members will attend the special advance screening of 'U23D'.

Tomorrow promises to be a star-studded night at the Palais des Festivals in Cannes with the premiere of the new Coen Brothers flick ‘No Country for Old Men, followed by Michael Moore’s ‘Sicko’ . At midnight the band and invited guests will attend the first screening of U23D and, who knows, maybe someone will persuade them to bring a guitar or two?

U2.Com have two tickets to the screening - if you can be in Cannes by 6pm tomorrow evening. The winner will be chosen at random later today and will be notified this evening, Friday. Send an email, with 'Cannes Tix', in the Subject Line, to content@U2.com

‘U23D’ was shot when the band took the Vertigo Tour to South America last year. The 3D film is directed by Catherine Owens, with additional direction from Mark Pellington – click here to look at some of it again

Wow, I hope this is true and all four of them will be present.
I cannot wait to see reports and pictures.

But why do I get the feeling that they might not find it very pleasant to watch themselves playing in 3D, Bono in particular?

I think I would hide somewhere. I wouldn't want to see myself in 3 D. :lol: And we all know how Bono feels about watching himself perform.

WE HAVE A FIRST REVIEW - IT'S ALSO TOLD WICH SONGS ARE INCLUDED:

"'U23D': Triumphant concert film

May 18, 2007 06:15 AM
Peter Howell
Movie Critic

CANNES – It’s often been said, and has been for decades, that 3D is the future of film.

That still remains to be seen for most movies. But one thing is certain after today’s unveiling of rock band U2’s third-dimension triumph at the Cannes Film Festival: this is the future of concert films.

U23D, shown to journalists at the ungodly hour of 8 a.m. in advance of its official world premiere tomorrow, is a 55-minute tour de force of music and technology. The film is expected in theatres later this year.

It’s going to be hard for conventional 2D rock films to make a splash after people get a look at this.

Filmed during the band’s 2005-2006 Vertigo world tour during a series of dates in Mexico, Brazil, Chile and Argentina, U23D is at once understated and in your face.

There is no narration, subtitles or pompous statement of purpose.

Just straight music from the Irish band that is second only to the Rolling Stones for global rock acclaim: vocalist/guitarist Bono, guitarist/keyboardist The Edge, bassist Adam Clayton and drummer Larry Mullen Jr.

Opening with tour theme song “Vertigo” and its distinctive (and numerically incorrect) Spanish countdown “Uno, dos, tres, catorce!” the film immediately delivers the same spine-tingling feeling you get at a live shows when musicians are really connecting with their audience.

The band proceeds in a workmanlike fashion through songs drawn from a career that now spans more than three decades. The members of U2 remain a rarity in that they don’t use backing musicians for their stage show, although they employ a powerful set of video screens that hammer home themes of love, peace, confusion and resolve.

The set list includes “It’s A Beautiful Day,” “Sunday Bloody Sunday,” “Bullet The Blue Sky,” “The Fly,” “Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own,” “Miss Sarajevo,” and the anthemic show closer “With You or Without You.”

The band members make good use of the third dimension, moving towards the camera in such a way that it seems they are literally standing before you.

The technique works particularly well during the acoustic part of the show, when the four musicians move separately around the stadium.

New-style 3D glasses that look like sunglasses and that work much better than the old red-and-blue models are handed out to audience members. They resemble the glasses currently being used for the 3D presentations of the animated comedy Meet the Robinsons.

U23D blessedly refrain from the slapstick antics that too often have made 3D films an exercise in tolerance rather than a pleasing experience.

But it doesn’t stint on the political messages. One particularly powerful moment comes from when Bono dons a headscarf bearing the word “Coexist” written in the symbols of major world religions. The same word appears on the giant screen behind him.

I saw the Vertigo tour when it made a stop at Toronto’s Air Canada Centre in September, 2005, and U23D is more than just the next best thing to it. In many ways, it’s superior to a real concert. This time, I didn’t have to put up with the rowdy drunks who blocked my view at the ACC.

U23D is not a greatest hits show by any stretch. Many U2 favourites aren’t heard, including “Pride (In The Name of Love)” and “Where The Streets Have No Name.” You can’t do everything in a 55-minute movie.

But extra songs will surely be included on the DVD that will follow the theatrical release. "

source:

http://www.thestar.com/artsentertainment/article/215389

Thanks for the article!

I wonder if 55 minutes is the actual length of the movie or if it's only so short in Cannes.

I cannot imagine that they did not include Streets. Streets of all songs has to be included in a 3D concert movie. :huh:

last unicorn said:
Thanks for the article!

I wonder if 55 minutes is the actual length of the movie or if it's only so short in Cannes.

I cannot imagine that they did not include Streets. Streets of all songs has to be included in a 3D concert movie. :huh:

the film which comes out in Fall will have a runtime of 80 minutes.

I also think - Miss Sarajewo, Bullet, Sometimes - there could have chosen better -
New Years Day, Streets, Pride, One - they all must look cool in 3D.

By the way I simply just hate Bono singing the Pavarotti part.

interference-perrypickwick = u2tour.de-colaniloani = u2tour.de-ich-will-nicht-mehr-auftauchen-perrypickwick?

:rolleyes:

perrypickwick said:
But extra songs will surely be included on the DVD that will follow the theatrical release. "

A dvd :drool:

According to washingtonpost.com (check here) the movie should be 90 minutes, so let's hope it's true! They just can't omit COBL, UTEOTW, LAPOE and Zoo Station!

Zooropean103 said:

A dvd :drool:

According to washingtonpost.com (check here) the movie should be 90 minutes, so let's hope it's true! They just can't omit COBL, UTEOTW, LAPOE and Zoo Station!

I don't think they should omit anything, I want it all!!!!

But I agree, 90 minutes doesn't sound bad, and neither does a DVD release. :drool:

"There is no narration, subtitles or pompous statement of purpose.

Just straight music from the Irish band that is second only to the Rolling Stones for global rock acclaim:..."

WTF? second to the RS? Please... i don't know why these guys are acclaimed so highly. They are great but definately not better then U2.

Zooropa man said:
"There is no narration, subtitles or pompous statement of purpose.

Just straight music from the Irish band that is second only to the Rolling Stones for global rock acclaim:..."

WTF? second to the RS? Please... i don't know why these guys are acclaimed so highly. They are great but definately not better then U2.

Thank You :up: :up:

and here is another quote from another source....

""U2 3D" documents U2's wildly successful "Vertigo" World tour. Armed with 3D glasses, viewers will now have the opportunity to see U2 in a concert atmosphere without enduring sweaty crowds and high ticket prices. The full-length version of "U2 3D," featuring 15 songs drawn from over 700 hours of footage, will debut in the fall of 2007. The film was directed by Catherine Owens and Mark Pellington and produced by 3ality Digital, Los Angeles."

Looks like the final cut (to be shown in theaters later this fall) will be longer. Cool! :wink:

the glasses aren't as bad as they used to be. Saw Meet the Robinsons and they were alot better than the paper ones. Just clear with black frames and not the blue and red.

Maybe Bulgari could make some 3-D glasses for Bono and then market them so we don't have to use the cheapo ones in the theaters.

saw this today, just thought I'd post:

Jay Stone, The Ottawa Citizen
Published: Saturday, May 19, 2007
Here's what the Cannes film festival has been talking about in the first week of its 60th-anniversary party:

U2 in 3D

At 8 a.m. yesterday, an hour when most self-respecting journalists would be staggering home from an all-night bacchanal that usually pops up on their expense accounts as "entertaining Jean-Luc Godard" -- did I type that out loud? -- a full house gathered to see the latest example of the newest trend in cinema, the three-dimensional film.

The occasion was the premiere of U2 3D, a 55-minute concert movie that floated realistically off the screen, poking you in the eye with microphone stands, guitar necks and, perhaps most alarmingly, Bono. There's a point in Sunday Bloody Sunday when the U2 singer sends his hand out over the audience like a 120-decibel benediction which gave me an irresistible urge to forgive Third World debt.

The movie, filmed live in Buenos Aires, calls for those new black plastic 3D glasses that make the theatre look like what would have happened if Buddy Holly had lived to populate the world. The realism is astounding: it's the fullest concert experience since the Rolling Stones were cavorting in Imax a few years ago. When the camera moves behind the huge stadium crowd, there are even raised arms that block your view, just like in real life, except with less pot smoke.

U2 3D is being shown out of competition at Cannes, and Bono is supposed to be around: there are constant rumours that the band is going to play at this or that party. I wouldn't know, because I've been busy entertaining Jean-Luc Godard.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom