U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NamelessStreets

The Fly
Ok, before I start, I'd like to say that ive just had seven pints of stella, so if this thread ends up being rambling bullshit, then I apologise now. Recentley, ive been thinking, ive got to get in to some other bands because im so boring, all i listen to is U2! If people at work talk about music, the only comments I can say is : "U2 this", "U2 that", "have you seen any U2 live stuff", the majority just shrug their shoulders and say "yeah". One guy, who is a Rock band freak, has played the electric guitar for over ten years, and never shuts up about gigs that hes been to said to me U2 are o.k! So I asked him what about the U2 gigs he had been to, and he replied, "oh, I havent seen them, but didn't they once play at Live Aid? HHEEELLLOOO, where the fuck have you been for the last decade? You will be amazed about how many people out there that are rock band mad, judge U2 on a few songs that they have heard on Radio 1. Ive been on a small mission to educate a few people at work the difference between relativley good rock bands of today, and U2. Ive burned a CD off to give to them, of various live tracks that ive ripped off the DVDs that I own , and a few Mp3s. The Cd has the following tracks:
1. EXIT (Rattle & Hum film version)
2. BAD (Rattle & Hum film version)
3. W.O.W.O.Y (Rattle & Hum film version)
4. Please (Popmart Helsinki)
5. U.T.E.O.T.W (Elevation Boston)
6. Elevation (Elevation Slane)
7. Beautiful Day (Elevation Boston)
8. Running to Stand Still (Zoo Tv, Sydney)
9. W.T.S.H.N.N (Rattle & Hum Film version)
10. New Years Day (Zoo Tv Sydney)
11. The Fly (Elevation Boston)
12. In Gods Country (Rattle & Hum film version)
13. Pride (Rattle & Hum film version)
14. All I Want is You (Rattle & Hum)

I tell you what, ive converted alot of people into fans by simply giving them what they have never heard before. Ive been typing for so long I cant remember what my point was now! Oh yeah, I.M.O, what seperates U2 from any other band is the fact that they never repeat. Every gig is different, no guitar rift is the same, the vocals change, the set changes, every intro, every ending, theres an infinate number of versions of all of their songs. They have made mistakes, but they have had the confidence in themselves to experiment (Yeah Im rambling now, I must admit) The whole point of this post is that im saying I cant get into other bands because thay just dont make me feel like U2 do, ive tried and tried. I must be pretty boring, I mean im happy to nod along to loads of bands but, they dont make me walk round house pretending to play the guitar, or other things that would make me kill myself if anybody caught me! Anyway, the stella is starting to act like two Rangerovers parked on my eyelids, so I bid you all good night.

I bet that sounds like a complete load of pissed up Bollox doesn't it?

:drool:

Last edited:
Actually, it makes sense to me. I feel the same way.

And your typing is really good considering how hammered you are. Well done!!:D

I could go for a few pints :drool:

I get what you are saying.. I try to get into other bands too, but the only other band i really like is Crowded house / Neil Finn solo. And ofcourse Radiohead...

I feel the same exact way. I try to get into other bands, but I just can't. I have worshipped U2 for 20 years now, since I was 12. The four of them are my idols.
That compilation you did is awesome. I would add Please from Popmart Mexico City, One from Popmart Mexico City, and Walk On from Slane.

Windmilllane said:
I feel the same exact way. I try to get into other bands, but I just can't. I have worshipped U2 for 20 years now, since I was 12. The four of them are my idols.
That compilation you did is awesome. I would add Please from Popmart Mexico City, One from Popmart Mexico City, and Walk On from Slane.

I would have added loads more but I wanted to fit it all on one CD, the reason I used Please Helsinki version is because it was on the bonus DVD that came with The Best Of 1990-2000, so It was much better quality than the VHS only Mexico City. (If they dont bleeding release this and Zoo TV soon on DVD, Im going to go on hunger strike on top of a tall building in Dublin somewhere) :mad:

I find it easy to convert people to U2 basically convincing metal fans that Edge's guitar sounds like nobodyelse they have to agree and a Bullet The Blue Sky afterwards they become fans:wink:

NamelessStreets said:
Bullet The Blue Sky Zoo Version I take It? Its probably the one rift that beats The Fly, and thats saying something, if it doesn't beat it, its on a par.

Oh yea, you just have to make it like you said a less famous song usually a live version like that open them up to U2 and suddenly most people stop being musically narrow minded

Most rockin' version of BTBS

Nameless,

Do you think the Zoo TV version of BTBS is really that superior to the POPMART version from Mexico City? Personally, I never liked BTBS until they really stretched the sound during POPMART. I do appreciate other versions, now, but I guess I'll always go back to the POPMART version since it forever changed my opinion of the song.

As for "do you want to listen to other music than U2...", I don't understand the question. I don't care what others think...I've been a fan since 1986. After the JT tour & catching up on their back catalog...only to then see the brilliant ZooTV shows, no other band/artist has gotten a shot, sans Pink Floyd.

Last edited:
Nameless

I'm in the same position. I have converted 2 rappers to u2.
I'm boring myself with u2( What am i saying, no i'm not)
I'm boring others.

I really listened everything, except techno and trance which i think is best music for dancing, and when i hear Streets, One, Bad, BTBS...(i can go till tomorrow) i have a catharsic feeling.

Just bought best of 1990-2000 dvd, and nothing but wow.
All videos are perfect, Gone from Mexico is great.

U2 is great
U2 is more than great
U2 is perfect and there's nobody who can prove me wrong.
U2 is best rock band band now.
U2 is noworded(no words can say what i mean)

Re: Most rockin' version of BTBS

beLIEve said:
Nameless,

Do you think the Zoo TV version of BTBS is really that superior to the POPMART version from Mexico City? Personally, I never liked BTBS until they really stretched the sound during POPMART. I do appreciate other versions, now, but I guess I'll always go back to the POPMART version since it forever changed my opinion of the song.

As for "do you want to listen to other music than U2...", I don't understand the question. I don't care what others think...I've been a fan since 1986. After the JT tour & catching up on their back catalog...only to then see the brilliant ZooTV shows, no other band/artist has gotten a shot, sans Pink Floyd.

Just had a listen to the Popmart version, its ages since ive watched it, I dont think there is much init, but I think the zoo version is better shot, where it goes into black and white and you get a really good view of edges fingers working their magic.
Though I must admit, im not a huge fan of the song itself, its just the awsome rift. When the rift is over I fast forward to RTSS, which Is definatley the best version of this song. Haleluja! :ohmy:

Last edited:
Hehe, yes im ok now, though I have just cracked open a can of fosters! Luckily theres only three cans in the fridge! Im never drinking Stella (or Wife Beater as we call it), again. (I say this alot). You wake up and it feels like you have just been hit with a bat. One of those hangovers where you wake up and need to go for some water, but if you try to move ur head half an inch, its like some small person is inside ur brain swinging a sledge hammer at ur forehead! So you are stuck in bed coz you daren't move! :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

haha fair play mate, 7 pints of the old wife beater, couldn't hack it myself personally lol

I think the BTBS version from slane is the best, esp with edges solo and when larry does the slow drumming and bono has the searchlight out and everyone is clapping. great stuff

Bullet the blue sky rose from the gutter of the JT album to its pinnacle during the Wembley Nights. It has since made a resurgence during the Elevation Tour beginning with the Hartford Connecticut date.

Which has since made that town more famous than once hosting the Whalers.

.Nostradamus

The Rattle & Hum search light version is pretty good too, the way he shines it on and off edge to the rythmn of the guitar! I hope they play it at Twickenham. What im absolutley praying for, is the U.T.E.O.T.W guitar kicking antics. I really hope they play this song simular to they did on the Elevation tour. (If they play it), ive just got to see this with my own eyes. Gives me goose bumps just thinking about it! No matter how many times I watch it on DVD, Im just completely amazed by it every time. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom