Two Thoughts on ATYCLB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dalton

Blue Crack Addict
Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
1. SIAM has grown on me tremendously since HTDAAB came out. I never liked it before - at all - but now I really like it.

2. In a Little While should have been a single. It is easily one of the coolest songs U2 have ever written.

I love in a little while and always have. It's so catchy and makes me want to move my hips!!

I think this new album has given me a newer, deeper appreciation for the last album. I've always enjoyed it, but I think the new songs are a bit stronger and harder. However the Pop sensibility on ATYCLB is refreshing to listen to after a listen to HTDAAB.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I think this new album has given me a newer, deeper appreciation for the last album. I've always enjoyed it, but I think the new songs are a bit stronger and harder. However the Pop sensibility on ATYCLB is refreshing to listen to after a listen to HTDAAB.
Yeah, I've come around to it recently. I don't think it's on par with The Joshua Tree or Achtung, Baby like everyone seems to, but it's pleasant and worthwhile. "Beautiful Day" and "Walk On" are future classics.

I hated "Stuck In A Moment" at first, but even it's grown on me enough (mostly due to live performances, I figure) that I don't skip it anymore. Edge's guitar part is sugary sweet and complements the main melody well. Edge had a lot of strong hooks in general around this time. Must've been saving them up.

"In A Little While" was always my favorite. Just a slick little vibe-based song. I'm told it got decent airplay on adult contemporary radio stations near the end of ATYCLB's vitality. "Wild Honey" is also underrated as a carefree and fun interlude to the doom and gloom of the rest of the album.

I always loved the airport imagery too.

I like "Grace" but think it makes a disappointing closer. It's a shame they couldn't come up with something more affecting there; I always feel a little incomplete after listening to the album.

I also think they should've squeezed "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" and "Falling At Your Feet" on there somehow (I understand that they were both considered for the album at various stages in its development), but whatever.

Last edited:
typhoon said:

Yeah, I've come around to it recently. I don't think it's on par with The Joshua Tree or Achtung, Baby like everyone seems to, but it's pleasant and worthwhile. "Beautiful Day" and "Walk On" are future classics.

I hated "Stuck In A Moment" at first, but even it's grown on me enough (mostly due to live performances, I figure) that I don't skip it anymore. Edge's guitar part is sugary sweet and complements the main melody well. Edge had a lot of strong hooks in general around this time. Must've been saving them up.

"In A Little While" was always my favorite. Just a slick little vibe-based song. I'm told it got decent airplay on adult contemporary radio stations near the end of ATYCLB's vitality. "Wild Honey" is also underrated as a carefree and fun interlude to the doom and gloom of the rest of the album.

I always loved the airport imagery too.

I like "Grace" but think it makes a disappointing closer. It's a shame they couldn't come up with something more affecting there; I always feel a little incomplete after listening to the album.

I also think they should've squeezed "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" and "Falling At Your Feet" on there somehow (I understand that they were both considered for the album at various stages in its development), but whatever.

Falling At Your Feet?
I've not heard of this song...

Falling

Falling at your feet is from the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack. It features vocals by Bono with some backup from Daniel Lanois.

I don't know if U2 wrote this song or not, but it is one of my all-time favorite songs. I burned it onto my personal "ATYCLB", and as was previously said, it would have been a perfect song on the album.

Also Falling At Your Feet features Larry too. I think it is complementary to Grace. Both addressed to God but at the same time both could be interpreted as "relaxed" love songs. I have always advocated that if one is disatisfied with Grace as the album closer then try Falling.

P.S. Have you heard the MDH outtake Jumpstart My Heart? I think it may go well with In A Little While.

Falling at Your Feet reminds me of Yahweh, in both the vocal harmonies and the final message of the song, which is to surrender oneself to God's will. The last words in Falling are, "Teach me to surrender. Not my will, thy will." It was written by Bono and Lanois, and was also featured on Lanois' last album, with Bono joining Lanois on vocals.

Dalton said:

In a Little While should have been a single. It is easily one of the coolest songs U2 have ever written.

I've always said it's a great song; I also think When I look at The World should've had more exposure imo it's the most underrated song on the whole album!

In a little while & New York are the best songs on ATYCLB. And they are A+++++!

U2_Guy said:
In a little while & New York are the best songs on ATYCLB. And they are A+++++!

I can't agree with that, as far as I am concerned Beautiful Day is the best song (Song Writting Ability) U2 have ever written.

To me ATYCLB just sounds so mature. So relaxed. Almost resigned. When listened to in the context of their whole catalgue I find it somewhat haunting.

I love ATYCLB, I think it is one of their most complete works. I think it is misunderstood, and people like to bash it because it is not as raw as their 80's material and comes off to be slightly poppy. But I think in reality is it quite a dark album. Even Beautiful Day is slightly introspective, Elevation may be the only "feel good" on the album.

I don't mind ATYCLB, either. If some people out there don't care for it, that's their business...but there's a lot of good songs on there, in my humble opinion. Heck, it was some of those songs that actually made me pay more attention to U2.

Dalton said:
1. SIAM has grown on me tremendously since HTDAAB came out. I never liked it before - at all - but now I really like it.

I've personally always liked that song...it's cool that it's grown on you :).

Originally posted by Dalton
2. In a Little While should have been a single. It is easily one of the coolest songs U2 have ever written.

:yes: times infinity. One of my all-time favorite U2 songs. I hear it on occasion on this one radio station in a nearby town, and it's always a treat when it gets played :D.

Angela

Dalton said:
I can't agree with that, as far as I am concerned Beautiful Day is the best song (Song Writting Ability) U2 have ever written.

"It's a beautiful day, don't let it get away" is better than One Tree Hill's poetic beauty?

In A Little While is only saved by the "a man takes a rocketship" verse, otherwise it would be bland, aimless crap. I still think it's on the level of other poor songs like Wild Honey, Ultra Violet, and Red Light (and yes, I do like aspects of all those songs).

1. Yes, I always loved Stuck in a moment.

2. YES, along with Kite, instead of Elevation/Walk on combo. Sometimes they make weird singles choices...

ATYCLB is heavily overbashed here. The first 6 songs are one of U2's strongest first half of album ever. While the second half is weaker, Wild honey and New York don't get enough credit IMO.

It has the big themes, yet it keeps an optimistic feel, more than any other U2 album. WILATW, POE and New York are darker but that's it.

ATYCLB is, along with Rattle and Hum, U2's disappointing album. Terribly produced, lifeless and boring. The Ground Beneath Her Feet is by far the best song from 2000 and they haven't even put it on the album(except on some versions). Peace on Earth and Grace are disaster. Wild Honey and Elevation are embarassments. A live masterpiece like Kite is destroyed in its studio format.
HTDAAB is to me everything that ATYCLB should have been and failed to do. A return to the 80's, with some remarkable guitars. Now I am full of hope for U2's future.

After listening to In a Little While, It made me want to pick up a guitar and learn how to play it. I've been obsessed ever since, and just recently learned the acoustic version of Stuck which I like better than the album version (agree, it takes a few listens to grow on you).

Further, I don't think HTDAAB will have the same impact as ATYCLB. That isn't to say it's better or worse or that it won't be a success but they're different albums at different times with different stakes involved. U2 said they would quit if they put out two "crap" albums in a row (hence, their verdict on Pop) so if ATYCLB bombed they would be inducted into the R&R hall of fame without a new album and tour to support it.

I love the new album and think it's stronger than ATYCLB from start to finish, but I'm finding myself skipping over SYCMOYO. I thought Kite tapped into the same theme much more effectively and personally.

Dalton said:

A song is not simply lyrics, they call that a poem. BD kills One Tree Hill in the musical department and it has very fine lyrics itself. The bridge is wonderful.

Beautiful Day is a wonderful song, but One Tree Hill slaughters it in every way possible. Beautiful Day = wonderful song. One Tree Hill = one of the best ever made. The 26 December 1989 performance proves my point. Best live performance of any song by any band ever.

Hey Axver, do you have a copy of that performance on video or mp3? Me mights be interested?:wink:

Axver said:

Beautiful Day is a wonderful song, but One Tree Hill slaughters it in every way possible. Beautiful Day = wonderful song. One Tree Hill = one of the best ever made. The 26 December 1989 performance proves my point. Best live performance of any song by any band ever.

Beautiful Day is so far above One Tree Hill I am not even sure how to begin arguing the point. From chord composition to song structure - the two are not even close. OTH is a personal favorite? Fine, I get that, but let's not go crazy.

I have to agree that Beautiful Day is a much better song musically. Lyrically it's very close. One Tree Hill is beautiful in it's subtlety and interpretation, but Beautiful Day has layers of meaning, and a beauty all its own. I prefer Beautiful Day over One Tree Hill personally. It's just a better song.

Back
Top Bottom