Two Separate Bands? Nah. My Theory - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2002, 04:28 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:08 PM
Hehehe...All hail the weirdness!

Anyway...I became a fan with POP, but that's not my favorite album (it's up there, definitely, but not #1). AB came to me in a VERY emotionally stressful time in my life, and the words just spoke to me. It was healing for me.

I've been thinking a lot about spirituality and stuff like that lately, and October just seems to speak to that. And, hey, the guys were around my age when they recorded it.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Old 04-07-2002, 05:09 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GypsyHeartgirl:
Thank you 80'sU2isBest. I am so glad someone understands how I feel and will post it. I know a lot of people feel this way. I like Zooropa now too, but never Pop. My husband gave up on them at Zooropa, like I said when he couldn't deal with the Lemon video, and Discotheque was the last straw. He is still and 80's U2 is best guy, he won't listen to anything past JT. Most other people I know came back with ATYCLB, like me. I had a tape of the 2001 Grammys right after they were on, and I tried to show it to my brother and his wife. He used to love U2 in the 80's and his wife had big into AB, but they had given up on U2 and when I mentioned them they said, no, they didn't want to see them. I showed them the Grammy performance of BD, and they were pleasantly surprised! He said "hey look they're not freaky anymore!" They bought ATYCLB and loved it and are into U2 again. Bless your heart, 80'sU2isBest.

GypsyHeart-
Wow.
Enjoyed your story.
I felt exactly the same way when I saw the Lemon vid and Discoteque vid.
I said esp during the Lemon vid-'
look at Bono prancing around like a little fruit-cake' to myself.
And I wasnt in love w/the Pop record or Zooropa record-but-
songs such as-
"Do You Feel Loved"
"Gone
and
"Zooropa" sustained me thru these "lean" times
AND
a new flock of fans were starting to clamor towards U2 so I looked for the 'good' in it.
When ATYCLB came out I knew they were back "home".

When I was speaking to Carter Alan in Providence, R.I. I told him this tour reminded me alot of UF tour , he agreed.

I wished you would of taken Bono's cue- but in turned out well for YOU anyway-when he found you later!

Your Friend-
Diamond

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 04-07-2002).]

Old 04-07-2002, 06:29 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

You got to talk to Carter Alan? I'm jealous!

------------------

Old 04-07-2002, 06:57 PM   #24
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie:

Yeah werstie.
He goes ,"Oh I recognize you from the pictures".- at Prov #2 in the Heart.

Cool cat.

Diamond

Old 04-07-2002, 07:10 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
Quote:

Yeah werstie.

Cool cat.

Diamond

Yeah, from reading "The Road to Pop" I got the impression he was a really cool guy. He made me wish I was living in Boston in the early 80s...Man!

------------------

Old 04-07-2002, 11:38 PM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 11:08 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot
Yeah werstie.

Cool cat.

Diamond
That's pretty neat Diamond! Where at Prov 2 did you meet Carter Alan? I used to listen to him on the air in the 80's. It was neat to listen to a DJ that was such a big U2 fan.
I also saw him at a few WBCN events back then.

I was at Prov 1 and have the bootleg. I remember you mentioning that Bono acknowledged you at the end of "Kite", and it's cool to know what's going on when he does. My daughter is the girl that says "I Love You" when Bono asked her her name.

I am reminded of a thread I posted awhile back that included pics of all the kids that Bono reached out to, put the pic of your girls is gone. Check it out:
http://forum.interference.com/u2feed...ML/018097.html

Oh, and I went to the Jun 6th show in Boston, so I missed your special night.

------------------
"There's a lot of real rubbish going on about new music & old music, can I just say we play U2 music? Is that OK?" - Bono, Us Festival 5/30/83
Old 04-07-2002, 11:57 PM   #27
Refugee

Quote:

See, the thing is, I grew up with U2 always evolving. I came to expect and appreciate that evolution. There are so many bands out there where maybe one or two of their albums are good, but then it seems like they keep trying to do the same stuff over and over again, and it grows stale quickly. Can't think of any right off the top of my head, but you get the picture, right?

Not trying to cause any arguments or anything here. Just thought I'd share...

I totally agree that U2's music is always evolving. I wasn't in love with what it evolved into for a period of time. When you look at the history of the Beatles, not everyone likes "The White Album" that likes "Help" or "Rubber Soul". It's a great difference in musical style, even if it is the same band.

I became a fan in 1983. I got up to speed on the first 3 albums and waited for UF to be released. I LOVE all albums except R&H, Zooropa & Pop. When Zooropa came out, I played it over and over again, but within a year I never put it back into the CD player. All of the older albums got first pick to be played! Pop got very few plays and was put away. There are a few songs on Pop that I really disliked and never figured out how to program my CD player to skip them. The other songs got lost because of the ones I hated! (Gone & Please).

It's funny though, Boston area played "Staring at the Sun" quite frequently, perhaps because there was an acoustic version of the song released on WBCN's compilation CD (When Bono says "Let's face it, without BCN we'd all be F**ked" - so I used to talk over him when my kids were around so they wouldn't hear him say it!)
Because of the airplay, I like that song a lot. But for the most part, I just stuck all my old stuff back into the CD player when I needed a U2 fix during that time!

I really wish I didn't miss the Popmart tour (due to bad timing!). I may have gotten the whole era better.

Old 04-08-2002, 12:01 AM   #28
Refugee

Thanks for sharing your story GypsyHeartgirl.

Oh, and Wertsie, I think Bono's remark in my signature line matches your thoughts quite well!!

------------------
"There's a lot of real rubbish going on about new music & old music, can I just say we play U2 music? Is that OK?" - Bono, Us Festival 5/30/83

[This message has been edited by BostonAnne (edited 04-07-2002).]
Old 04-08-2002, 12:20 AM   #29
Refugee

Anne-
I was in the Heart both nites in Providence.
That was really really cool what happened to you and your little girl that night..Prov#1.
I bumped into Carter at Prov#2.

Your Friend-
Diamond
Old 04-08-2002, 02:23 AM   #30
POP for GIRLS

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
GypsyHeartgirl,
It's amazing how very much alike both of our reactions to POP were. But I have to admit I gave up on them during Zooropa, a CD I now like.
Thank you 80'sU2isBest. I am so glad someone understands how I feel and will post it. I know a lot of people feel this way. I like Zooropa now too, but never Pop. My husband gave up on them at Zooropa, like I said when he couldn't deal with the Lemon video, and Discotheque was the last straw. He is still and 80's U2 is best guy, he won't listen to anything past JT. Most other people I know came back with ATYCLB, like me. I had a tape of the 2001 Grammys right after they were on, and I tried to show it to my brother and his wife. He used to love U2 in the 80's and his wife had big into AB, but they had given up on U2 and when I mentioned them they said, no, they didn't want to see them. I showed them the Grammy performance of BD, and they were pleasantly surprised! He said "hey look they're not freaky anymore!" They bought ATYCLB and loved it and are into U2 again. Bless your heart, 80'sU2isBest.

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"
Old 04-08-2002, 02:58 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by GypsyHeartgirl:

I can understand where you're coming from. I wonder if I would have felt that way too had I been in your position. It's highly probable. I became a fan during a time period many fans would like to forget. lmao...I'm always a weirdo, no matter what.

Oh, and I'd like to thank both of you for giving your opinions in such a kind way. It was not my intention at ALL to piss people off with this thread, and I'm sorry if I made anyone angry.

------------------

Old 04-08-2002, 08:02 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne:
Thanks for sharing your story GypsyHeartgirl.

Oh, and Wertsie, I think Bono's remark in my signature line matches your thoughts quite well!!

Yeah, actuaally it does! hehehe

You know, I used to kind of scoff at people who were like, "I only like the 80s U2" or the "new U2." But after this thread, I feel like I really understand where people are coming from more. Thanks a lot, guys! I'm really glad we could discuss this in a way that wasn't offensive to either side. I'd come across so many people who were like, "Look, POP just sucked, okay? End of story!" And that didn't really help me understand them at all. It just seemed like they were being sticks in the mud!

I think the Popmart Tour helped me understand POP a lot more. I don't think I really even noticed the goofy costumes or anything that much. I just saw those four guys playing up there on stage together, and it was like a religious experience, it really was!

I guess one of the reasons why the "2 separate bands" thing has bugged me is because POP always seems to be the target of ridicule, and this was the time period when I became a fan, so it was special to me. It always will be.

I just want to bring this up again, and I'm really curious what people think. Arguably, the change from R&H to AB was a lot more drastic than the one from Zooropa to POP and yet by and large, people don't seem to have as much of a problem with the FIRST transition...Why do you think that is? I mean, I look back at the Mirrorball Man and Mr. MacPhisto, and those guys were SCARY! I'm NOT attacking it by any means, I just want to know what you think...

------------------

Old 04-08-2002, 08:21 AM   #33
*Stormy*

Since my post disappeared, I will have to stick my two cents back in. I disagree that the change was more drastic between JT and AB. I think the AB to POP was a much bigger change in every way, and a less desirable one for many.

U2's 90's evolution reminds me of the movie The Fly: (oh the irony)

The man's molecules were fused with the Fly, but he was still a man.

AB was U2 incorporating a new sound into THEIR natural musical style.

The man began to show flylike characteristics.

With Zooropa, U2's music was fused with the new and different sound, but U2 was still there.

The man totally morphs into a fly.

With POP, U2 (as I knew and loved them) were completely overcome and destroyed by the new sound and became something else, something that wasn't 'them.' They were officially consumed and gone.

ATYCLB was a magical antidote. No, they are not what they were back in the 80's but they are more true to themselves. I remember reading a story back when ATYCLB came out. U2 were in the studio, and Edge came up with a guitar riff. Bono refused it, saying it sounded too much like The Edge, too much like U2, try again. But Edge persisted. He said, "I AM The Edge, and we ARE U2, what's wrong with that?" Yay Edge! Bono was so hung up on trying to change and do different things that he was running from what U2 really was and what they did best, and Edge could see that. It was a good thing.

The thing that bothers me the most about the POP arguments is that it seems those who like it want to force you to like it, accuse you of 'not getting it' if you didn't, accuse you of not being a 'true fan' and that is ridiculous. I really dislike Pop and the entire era, and I try hard to see how it could be someone's favorite because it is so bad to me. So I will go back to the food analogy I've seen before- we all like different things on our pizzas and burgers, and we all put different things on our plates at potluck dinners, and no one holds any of those decisions against us, so why should we rag each other over music? Just let everyone enjoy what they like and ignore what they don't and leave it behind!

------------------
"I DO go on, don't I?"-Bono, MCI Center, DC, June 14, 2001

Old 04-08-2002, 08:23 AM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I just want to bring this up again, and I'm really curious what people think. Arguably, the change from R&H to AB was a lot more drastic than the one from Zooropa to POP and yet by and large, people don't seem to have as much of a problem with the FIRST transition...Why do you think that is? I mean, I look back at the Mirrorball Man and Mr. MacPhisto, and those guys were SCARY! I'm NOT attacking it by any means, I just want to know what you think...
Well, I think taht you are right in your assertion that R&H to AB was a much bigger change in U2. And to be honest, that was the start of teh slide for me. I liked several of the songs on AB, but I didn't like anything at all about the live shows, so my interest certainly started to wane. When Zooropa came around, I just stopped listening to them.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:27 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by *Stormy*:
Since my post disappeared, I will have to stick my two cents back in. I disagree that the change was more drastic between JT and AB. I think the AB to POP was a much bigger change in every way, and a less desirable one for many.

U2's 90's evolution reminds me of the movie The Fly: (oh the irony)

The man's molecules were fused with the Fly, but he was still a man.

AB was U2 incorporating a new sound into THEIR natural musical style.

The man began to show flylike characteristics.

With Zooropa, U2's music was fused with the new and different sound, but U2 was still there.

The man totally morphs into a fly.

With POP, U2 (as I knew and loved them) were completely overcome and destroyed by the new sound and became something else, something that wasn't 'them.' They were officially consumed and gone.

ATYCLB was a magical antidote. No, they are not what they were back in the 80's but they are more true to themselves. I remember reading a story back when ATYCLB came out. U2 were in the studio, and Edge came up with a guitar riff. Bono refused it, saying it sounded too much like The Edge, too much like U2, try again. But Edge persisted. He said, "I AM The Edge, and we ARE U2, what's wrong with that?" Yay Edge! Bono was so hung up on trying to change and do different things that he was running from what U2 really was and what they did best, and Edge could see that. It was a good thing.

The thing that bothers me the most about the POP arguments is that it seems those who like it want to force you to like it, accuse you of 'not getting it' if you didn't, accuse you of not being a 'true fan' and that is ridiculous. I really dislike Pop and the entire era, and I try hard to see how it could be someone's favorite because it is so bad to me. So I will go back to the food analogy I've seen before- we all like different things on our pizzas and burgers, and we all put different things on our plates at potluck dinners, and no one holds any of those decisions against us, so why should we rag each other over music? Just let everyone enjoy what they like and ignore what they don't and leave it behind!

I don't want to force people to like it. I mean, I really wish they did because I think they're missing out, but if they don't want to, fine. That pizza anology is actualy a pretty good one.

I don't think U2 disappeared at ALL. But of course, like I said, Popmart was my first live glimpse of them. What they did with some of those POP songs during the tour (like "Please," "Gone," and "Mofo") was incredible...I even found myself missing it a little with Elevation.

That's when I think I REALLY got Pop. When I saw Popmart live.

------------------

Old 04-08-2002, 08:32 AM   #36
*Stormy*

The biggest point I want to get across is that I, along with Salome and and some others, are tired of people insinuating if you 'got it' you'd like it. Well, that's crap. You don't have to 'get' something to like it. I like Sgt. Pepper's by the Beatles, but since I have never done LSD I can never really 'get it' or 'understand where the band was coming from at the time' but that does not hamper my enjoyment of the great music. I 'get' Pop. I know what they were trying to say, but I don't care, I don't like it! I know where they were at the time, it was a place I didn't care for or want to be, but just knowing that and having an understanding of it does not make me enjoy music I do not care for. I just wish people would understand that. Why can't people just accept that?

------------------

Old 04-08-2002, 08:37 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by *Stormy*:
The biggest point I want to get across is that I, along with Salome and and some others, are tired of people insinuating if you 'got it' you'd like it. Well, that's crap. You don't have to 'get' something to like it. I like Sgt. Pepper's by the Beatles, but since I have never done LSD I can never really 'get it' or 'understand where the band was coming from at the time' but that does not hamper my enjoyment of the great music. I 'get' Pop. I know what they were trying to say, but I don't care, I don't like it! I know where they were at the time, it was a place I didn't care for or want to be, but just knowing that and having an understanding of it does not make me enjoy music I do not care for. I just wish people would understand that. Why can't people just accept that?

Point taken. I accept it. It's fine. I was just saying WHY I feel the way I do. You don't have to agree.

In my book, anybody who can appreciate U2 on ANY level rocks!

------------------

Old 04-08-2002, 08:45 AM   #38
*Stormy*

Quote:
Point taken. I accept it. It's fine. I was just saying WHY I feel the way I do. You don't have to agree.

In my book, anybody who can appreciate U2 on ANY level rocks!

Same here on both statements!

------------------

Old 04-08-2002, 10:55 AM   #39
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
Anne-
I was in the Heart both nites in Providence.
That was really really cool what happened to you and your little girl that night..Prov#1.
I bumped into Carter at Prov#2.

Your Friend-
Diamond
Diamond, I was wondering where at Prov 2 did you bump into Carter Alan? In the Heart?
Old 04-08-2002, 11:20 AM   #40
Refugee

Anne-
Yes the Heart.
DB9