Two More Bono Interviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Are there any of our European friends that have heard of these two interviews that took place this week with Bono?

http://www.info.u2france.com/article.php3?id_article=7144

http://www.clarin.com/suplementos/si/ultimo/3-00201.htm

If you are familiar with them (or if anyone would be kind enough to translate the interview in Spanish), PLEASE post here!

I wished that I had heard the interview on French radio with Bono!

I wonder if he spoke in French. :wink:

Any help with these interviews would be greatly appreciated.

YOU GIVE ME SOMETHING I CAN FEEL....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

The one in spanish is something we have already read, just a translation. Can't think of which article it was... I think it is part of the Hotpress interview...

Well, I knew that these interviews would be great!

Here are the links for the Italian interview:

http://www.u2star.com/news/

and to the actual interview on Italian TV:

http://ps1.libero.it/ps1/ps/RMS/pic...nkqLrhUsYqiRiaeWxaZVXLWxsBFhQk15855&tz=GMT+01

(click on the first icon for the interview)

If there are any of our Italian speaking friends out there who would be so kind to translate any more of this interview with the rest of us - that would be excellent!

I knew that this interview was worth searching for - enjoy!

ORIGINAL OF THE SPECIES....:adam: :larry: :edge: :hug: :bono: :love:

I haven't read the Hotpress interview so I don't know if this is a translation so what I'll do is I'll translate a portion of the Spanish interview and if it is indeed the Hotpress interview, please let me know. ;)

It's been a loong time since I took Italian but here's an attempt:

"How do you make good rock and roll? It's like an operation to open your heart." So says Bono the voice of U2 during an exclusive interview with Canale SkyTG24 straight to Emilio Carelli and carried out at the bands recording studio in Dublin. The interview was on the air on December 12th at 10:35am with repeats at 5:34pm and at 11:35pm.
The leader of U2 also says "he's tired of being a rock star" At the center of the interview the new album "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" has been out a few weeks. Between them all, the song that Bono prefers is Miracle Drug inspired by the writer Christopher Nolan who went to the same school and who, thanks to a medicine, improved his paraplegia and succeeded in translating into written words his thoughts that at first he was not able to express.
For U2 the organization of their new tour is revealing itself to be more complex than they had thought. "We are looking to make something new and spectacular," says drummer Larry Mullin - the technology by now is no longer the novelty like Zooropa tour and Pop tour; now everyone uses it. The group doesn't know yet if this will be their best album. "We discover it only when we play it live in front of our audience."
The secret to their long musical union is in not feeling 'at all like professionals' - continues the drummer - ' in us there is a continuing sense of dissatisfaction we are still learning how to be musicians.' Perhaps it is exactly this that works for U2 a band that has existed for thirty years. "By ourselves we are nothing" adds Bono "But when we are four we have something magic; and that's how we have strength(?) to resist the force of gravity." In the end Bono gives his definition of freedom, "It's like the scent of a baby scarcely born: all future, nothing past."

I think that's pretty close to it.

Let's see how far I get, I have nothing better to do:

"I still want to change the world"

The U2 singer and spiritual leader of the rock nation explain his last record, talks about the multinationals and anticipates his plans for the next couple of years...

"If you can't vacume, iron or wash to the tune of a record, it's not worth putting it out", Bono simply says, in the continous living room to their studio in Dublin. Whehter the floors are acoustiquely soundproof or not, it's impossible not to recognize the sound of The Edge's guitar resounding somewhere in the building while he practices. "He's making the amplifiers go to 12 because 11 no longer seems enough for him. Sometimes I think the Edge would've been happier in Metallica. The only problem is the hair... or the lack thereof!"

Bono laughs with his usual mischievious expression and holds his decided stare of a man who is willing to leave the trenches and go out to battle. "The way we rationalize our lives is not making bad albums. We could re-do old themes, but true success is discovering what we are still capable of doing." In that sense, "HTDAAB" won't leave doubts to anyone: U2 has mastered the art of delivering great themes(songs maybe?) To confirm it, listen to "SYCMIOYO" a strong emotional response from Bono to the death of his father Bob in August 2003.

"Writing it was reflex act or did you meditate every word?"

-I never meditate, that's why the lyrics are so disjuncted. The paintings I love are those in which I can see the very first brush stroke.

With that emotional battle in between, recording the album was almost an oddisey: 18 marathonic months. "we spent a long time mixing the ink and very little making the painting", he confesses. But it was also said that Bono misbehaved, he had procrastinated the recording to save the world.

"Did Briran Eno through you a right hand when you broke the 'no cel phones' rule... to attend the Pope?"

-Yes, there were problemas because of the time the campaign to forgive the debt of poor countries took me. But our records are better when my imput is in concentrated doses.

With an open line with the Pope, and taking in consideration U2's past of in defense of human rights, it is suprising that the record does not mention the war in Iraq. "It is worth remembering the days after 9/11. We never thought that such a mass murder could be commited as a terrorist attack. That is no excuse to continue the war in Iraq, but it puts everything in context. I was thinking of addressing the theme, but nevertheless, the oppossite occurred."

When politics and religion are together in the current phase of wold shake-up - and despite the inspied melody - speaking of "Yahweh", it could make Bono be accused of taking sides in the arab-israeli dispute. "The song simply formed in my mouth, as many other songs do. A delegation from the MidEast came to see me to tell me that there were no peace movements there. They asked if I could give them a hand and I said: 'Listen, I am at a point when the world will feel nauseous if I mix my name up with another worthy cause'. In my own country that alone will cue some people to throw me off stage via bricks and bricks and bottles."

"Do you imagine youself saying 'I'm tired of all this politic idiocy and I step down to someone like Chris Martin?"

-Coldplay is extraordinary.You can notice a moral projection in action that makes them attract a lot of audience: you want to see how you can negotiate your celebrity and you begin to compose songs, and your sense that not everything is alright in the world.

"What were you listening to in the studio stereo while you were making the record?"

-The first Interpol album was incredible! We listened to The Thrills, Devins, Queens of the Stone Age. I enjoy The Strokes and it bothers me that these groups are not allowed to grow after a few records.

It's funny. Ten years ago, making fun of U2 was almost a requirement to be an independent band, while now there are groups like Interpol, The Killers and The Rapture quote them with pride. A change that irritates Bono a lot "We could never get a long with a group of middle-class kids who lie to themselves about their ambition. We don't lie. We started a band because we still wanted to change the world and all that megalomania."

"You said AB was your best record. You had 13 years to analize its merits. How long will it be to know what position "How to..." holds?"

-"You know at the moment if it's good music. but you can't know what others will think of it. In the Joshua Tree, there is weak music, but emotionally it's overwhelming, so people connect with it a lot. The matter is not whether my songs are better than other's songs or not; but if it were so, this new album would be the first on the list.

Bono is about to say something more when his nervous assistant reminds himthat 3/4's of the band are awaiting their singer.

"Do you have 15 mins?" Bono asks.

"Maybe...."

"come listen to us rehearse!"

I follow him to the studio where Larry adam and Edge are playing "COBL" The singer approaches the microphone, crosses his hands behind his back and whispers the first verses ("the more you see the less you know/ the less you find out as you go..." Even if he sings it with half of this delivery, it ill run chills off the backs of thousands when they go on tour. Now the only audience he has is one that thinks he died and went up to rock heaven. At this scarce distance, U2 sound celestial.

"What do you think?" - Bono screams.

And I think: is the best band in the world spot still available? I think they got it.

....whoooo that was tiring.

Glad to be of service.

Thanks SO MUCH to everyone who is trying to help everyone else out with all these U2 interviews in all kinds of different languages!

Any thing that anyone can do to help translate these interviews and share them with us is very much appreciated.

Here is a short translation of some of what was said in the interview with Italian TV from U2star:

Yesterday the italian Tgsky24 broadcasted a touching, amazing and unreleased interview to the band. This interview has been recorded earlier this week. The best moments:

Reporter asks to Bono: What's the freedom for you?

Bono: The freedom it's like a baby born, i like his smell. It's the future, not the past. I like the smell of baby born. That's the freedom for me. My preferred song in this album is Miracle and Drug (he explains of how, when he was young he had the chance to meet Cristopher Nolan and his mother)

Larry addiction: what can i say after this philosophical answer given by Bono? I cannot say, for me freedom is "riding my Halrey Davidson through the United States!"

Reporter asks to Bono: how did you create HTDAAB?

Bono explained that the title was originally referred to a story about some young childrens reading on the net how to create a bomb. But it was also dedicated to his father Bob Hewson....Bono made a touching confession at this point to the reporter....

Bono: italians are really good when showing their feelings, they throw up emotions, not keeping them inside. We, irish, we keep everything inside....when i lost my mother we didn't speak about her anymore. We were supposed to be strong men (referring to himself, his brother and father), the same happened with the loss of my father....you keep everything inside yourself and then...after months you start to cry without a reason.

Bono's addiction: when you are a rockstar you cannot make shit music! You must do your best every day, every time you write a new song.

Reporter asks: Are you scared before a show?

Larry: No, i'm not. When you go onstage you have to create a new show/setlist every night....every concert must be different! Different emotions.

Reporter ask to Adam: you were the most rockstar of the group...

Adam: i'm not anymore....Bono and the others are more rockstar than me. When they are still having fun in some pub during the night i'm already @ home. I'm quiet now! (The Edge confirms)

Adam preferred song is Man and a woman....for The Edge it's a revelation (eh, it's your preferred song? Really?)

More revelations in this unbelievable interview: (only italian, but you could be able to hear the band's replies)

Meeting with U2 (Skytg24)

thanks to Aaron for taping this!

Screencaps from Skytg24 Meeting with U2:

This is freedom (Bono)

What's freedom? Uhmmm (Larry)

Riding with my Harley Davidson in the Usa (Larry)

I like man and a woman! The "revelation" for The Edge!!

Again Larry

:wink:

I think the most revealing info in that interview was how, after Bono's mum passed, no one in the house ever talked about her again!

How very sad, but I'm glad that Bono is starting to feel secure enough to begin to share some of his most intimate feelings.:up:

That's healing for him and helps us see him more as a human being and not as some "Rock star".

WITH OR WITHOUT YOU....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Hey you beat me to it! But yes that is exactly what the article says. Great job!!!

Very cool that you are from Honduras. That is where my family is from--San Pedro Sulas. :wave: to a fellow catracho! :)

Last edited:
Great interview's :up: and well done :yes: MissMoo and BrownEyedBoy for the translations.

I saw a interview in French today, and it was something about the new videos, ABOY and SYCMIOYO. If I find it I'll post it for translation.
Thank you too Jamila for starting the thread.:up:

That would be great if you could find out anything on that interview from France, sue4u2! :wink:

Let's try to keep this thread active since it actually contains real news and views from U2.

Maybe Interference would like to put these interviews on the homepage. :yes:

It IS interesting reading about the band.

ORIGINAL OF THE SPECIES....:adam: :larry: :edge: :hug: :bono: :love:

I'm bumping this thread because I think the info from the various U2 interviews contained in this thread is TOO IMPORTANT to allow it to wither away and

because those of us who contributed the info on U2 offered in this thread worked too hard to gather it for our fellow Interferencers and I think we deserve some props!:lol:

Plus I'm trying to get to my 1300th post.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Back
Top Bottom