Two Mind-Blowing Definitive Live Performances...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
1.Bad - 12 November 1984, Birmingham, England - This is the performance used for Wide Awake In America. I listened to this tonight and I had forgotten how good it is. In fact, listening to the R&H movie version right afterwards, I don't think JT/Lovetown was the pinnacle of live Bad anymore. I think it peaked on its first tour, UF Tour. This is a fucking incredible performance.

2.One - 12 September 1995, Modena, Italy - This is the 'War Child' performance of One, with the full orchestra, used on the Miss Sarajevo single. I listened to this tonight and, simply put, it reveals how tired and uninspired the current performances of One really are. This is the most incredibly gorgeous rendition of One I have ever, ever, ever, ever heard. It kicks the shit out of any other live version and is the only version I think is better than the studio version.

:drool:

The Wide Awake In America version is a relatively succinct and restrained "Bad"; that's part of the reason I like it. Maybe not the best performance I've ever heard, but it has a different feel and it works. I like the slight reverb on the vocals. "Come on down..."

The "One" performance is great too, although too different for my mind to consider it definitive (gotta go with one of the ZooTV versions for that). It's funny to compare the video of it to Bono playing the same song in Modena in 2003. He's so effortlessly cool in the 1995 performance, standing calmly throughout the song (in that very smooth millionaire cab driver look he had), only moving to do a stylish little kneel along with the falsetto at the end. In 2003, he's got the shades, the long, slicked hair, and a guitar, and he's bouncing around like a clown the whole song, oversinging everything, overemphasizing his facial expressions for the "important" parts. You've gotta admire his energy, but you sometimes just want to tell him to chill the fuck out.

Last edited:
Gone from Sarajevo 9/23/97.

In the bridge Bono sings a very muscular "I'll Be UUUUUUPPPPPPP with the sun" which winds up blowing his voice for the rest of the show.

Awesome.

MrBrau1 said:

In the bridge Bono sings a very muscular "I'll Be UUUUUUPPPPPPP with the sun" which winds up blowing his voice for the rest of the show.

Awesome.

I love that version too! Where The Streets Have No Name is pretty awesome too! A lot of soul there from the B-Man. That whole show is fucking fantastic!! :up:

TheBrazilianFly said:

I love that version too! Where The Streets Have No Name is pretty awesome too! A lot of soul there from the B-Man. That whole show is fucking fantastic!! :up:

You're allright. I don't care what they say. :wink:

namkcuR said:
[B

2.One - 12 September 1995, Modena, Italy - This is the 'War Child' performance of One, with the full orchestra, used on the Miss Sarajevo single. I listened to this tonight and, simply put, it reveals how tired and uninspired the current performances of One really are. This is the most incredibly gorgeous rendition of One I have ever, ever, ever, ever heard. It kicks the shit out of any other live version and is the only version I think is better than the studio version.

:drool: [/B]

and bono's voice, nam..............have you ever heard a better voice???

MrBrau1 said:

Awesome.

yeah, with that i'll be uuuuuuuuup he spit out 1 and a half of his lungs on the pavement! but actually he was voiceless already at the beginning of the show. in fact he justified himself at the end of the concert

My two favorites have to be

The Fly - Elevation Boston
and
With or Without You - Rattle and Hum

I just zone out of w/e I'm doing at that moment I listen to these two, and get lost in the music...:drool: :drool: :drool:

Back
Top Bottom