Turn on your TV - I don't know what to say!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Report on radio is that United Airlines jet that was hijacked and heading towards DC has crashed near Camp david, not confirmed if it was shot down or not.

I don't even know what to think. This is the sickest thing I've ever seen.

May God have mercy on the souls of those who did this. Because I know no one else will.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Rage takes over:

Who the fuck do these mother fuckers think they are they're gonna bomb our buildings we're gonna blow up their goddamn fucking country till there's nothing left but dust motherfuckers who did this all deserve to fucking die!

I'm sorry, but that's kind of the way I feel. Maybe it's not reasonable and maybe I'm not thinking straight.

------------------

I cant even work right now. This is too much. I cant find much about it on the net either and I didnt watch the news this morning.

Armageddon is near.
frown.gif

I say a prayer for everyone in New York and DC right now.

------------------
The Chairs Are All Stacked
The Swinging's Stopped Swinging

Sicy's Website

Originally posted by Foxxern:
Rage takes over:

Who the fuck do these mother fuckers think they are they're gonna bomb our buildings we're gonna blow up their goddamn fucking country till there's nothing left but dust motherfuckers who did this all deserve to fucking die!

I'm sorry, but that's kind of the way I feel. Maybe it's not reasonable and maybe I'm not thinking straight.

Blow up their country and kill innocent people?

No...

------------------
Trust In God...But Lock Your Doors

From London....

Just mind-numbingly shocked!

Im shaking thinking of all those people in World Trade Center and Pentagon.....God, I saw TV pictures of how one WTC tower collapsed which left me absolutely speechless!

Just heard reports that Canary Wharf tower in London is evacuated just in case....reports that flights in UK may be grounded too!

Cant carry on typing right now.....

dougal
frown.gif

Originally posted by Bonochick:
Blow up their country and kill innocent people?

No...

I know, I know. It's just the rage. I know I couldn't think logically right now if I was making decisions.

------------------

My entire class is following this news through this site (we can't access others!)...please continue with the accurate updates...

------------------

Originally posted by Foxxern:
I know, I know. It's just the rage. I know I couldn't think logically right now if I was making decisions.

I know...I understand...*hug*

Just trying to get you to think logically.

------------------

My entire class is following this news through this site (we can't access others!)...please continue with the accurate updates...

What do you guys need to know ?? What do you know already ?? We'll keep you updated..

aaron

OMG!
frown.gif
This is so unreal....

When will there be peace on earth?........
frown.gif

------------------
~*Everybody's talkin' about POP Musik!*~

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica* .???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Originally posted by the_rehearsal:
What do you guys need to know ?? What do you know already ?? We'll keep you updated..

aaron

Just any and all new news...I'm following this to keep the class updated...

------------------

American Airlines is now saying that two of their planes are down. Both were orignally heading to LA. One had about 85 people in it, the other around 60.

Originally posted by TheU2:
Awful, Awful. I'm in Manhatten and its awful.

Are your loved ones okay????? Do you know???

*praying*

------------------

Update: There's one flight left in the air somewhere above the U.S.--United Flight 175 I believe. They don't know where it is. This could get even worse...

------------------

Originally posted by tkramer:
State dept. was not bombed, however, the plane crash outside of pittsburg is for real...
State dept. was bombed. I work nites and have been watching TV since 9:30 AM. For those of you unable to access TV, here is what I know. Around 9:00 AM, a plane crashed into one of the WTC buildings. 18 minutes later a 767 (AA flight 11) out of Logan airport in Boston crashed into the other WTC building. Around 10:30 one of the buildings collapsed. Then word of a plane crash into the Pentagon, then word of a car bomb exploding outside of the State Dept. in Washington. Then the 2nd WTC building collasped. They are both gone. People were seen falling out of the windows (my God, this is the worst thing I've seen in my lifetime). NYC is covered in smoke and dust. FAA has grounded all flights in the US. Boston and other major cities have evacuated all tall buildings. All Federal offices have been closed and evacuated. We don't even know where Bush is going right now. He is currently on Air Force One. Was going to fly back to Washington, but is not now because of the threat there. I am saddened, mad, God, I don't even know what to feel right now. I pray for all......
(Also, a United 747 crashed into a building in Somerset, PA)

[This message has been edited by ZOOTB (edited 09-11-2001).]

Just any and all new news...I'm following this to keep the class updated...

Here is what i can find for you..

White House Evacuated After Threat

WASHINGTON (AP) - The White House was evacuated today after the Secret Service received credible threat of a terrorist act against the presidential mansion and residence, The Associated Press has learned. The State Department was evacuated today due to a possible explosion or fire amid a rash of explosions in New York and Washington. Full Story

World Trade Center Collapses

NEW YORK (AP) - In a horrific sequence of destruction, terrorists crashed two planes into the World Trade Center and the twin 110-story towers collapsed this morning. Explosions also rocked the Pentagon and the State Department and spread fear across the nation. The fate of those in the skyscrapers was not immediately known. Authorities had been trying to evacuate the 50,000 people who work in the twin towers, but many were thought to be trapped. ``This is perhaps the most audacious terrorist attack that's ever taken place in the world,'' said Chris Yates, an aviation expert at Jane's Transport in London. Full Story News Photo

FAA Shuts Down Aircraft Takeoffs

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Federal Aviation Administration has shut down all aircraft takeoffs nationwide. Full Story

Bush: Crashes Could Be Terrorism

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush said today that two plane crashes into the World Trade Center were ``an apparent terrorist attack on our country.'' The FBI is investigating two plane crashes into the World Trade Center Tuesday as a possible terrorist act, The Associated Press has learned. A senior government official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the agency is pursuing reports that one or both of the planes were hijacked and that the crashes may have been the result of a suicide mission. Full Story

Aircraft Crashes Near Pentagon

WASHINGTON (AP) - An aircraft crashed near the Pentagon and the West Wing of the White House was evacuated amid threats of terrorism. Full Story

Plane Crashes South of Pittsburgh

PITTSBURGH (AP) - A large plane crashed this morning just north of the Somerset County Airport, airport and county emergency officials said. The plane, believed to be a 747 jumbo jet, crashed about 10 a.m. about eight miles east of Jennerstown, according to county 911 dispatchers, WPXI-TV in Pittsburgh reported. Officials weren't saying what airline was involved. It was unclear if the crash was related to the terrorist attacks in New York City and Washington. Full Story

MORE NEWS:

Updates: American Airlines says it ''lost'' two aircraft carrying 156 people.
Mayor Guiliani says: ''I have a sense it's a horrendous number of lives lost.'' United Airlines Confirms Flight 93 Crashes Near Pittsburgh.

from skynews.com

U.S Under Attack

The World Trade Centre in New York has been destroyed by two hijacked passenger planes. The Pentagon was also hit by an aircraft and several other planes are "unaccounted for".

Watch Sky News live - click here.
For recorded video clips - click here.

The New York landmark collapsed after two aircraft were flown deliberately at the 1,360-ft towers. More than 50,000 people work in the complex. An unknown number of people have been killed.

There are also reports of an explosion at Capitol Hill and of another hijacked aircraft heading towards Washington. Fighter aircraft have been scrambled and are patrolling the skies over the US capital.

Sky's Washington Correspondent Keith Graves said "There can be no doubt that any aircraft flying over Washington now will be shot down."

A separate fire forced the evacuation of the White House.

Hijack

American Airlines says both planes which smashed into the World Trade Centre were theirs. One had 81 people on board, the second was carrying 58 passengers.

A third commercial plane slammed into the Pentagon just outside Washington DC. A 60-ft section of the complex collapsed after fire engulfed the building. Much of the complex is still in flames.

United Airlines say another one of their flights, UA flight 93 en route to San Francisco, crashed in Pittsburgh after being hijacked.

The airline is "deeply concerned" about another of its aircraft, a Boeing 757, travelling from Boston to Los Angeles.

Gaping hole

The first plane smashed into the top stories of one of the Trade Centre's towers, leaving two gaping holes in the side.

Minutes later another aircraft approached, turned in the air and crashed into the lower storeys of the second tower - the footage was seen live on TV stations around the world.

The second explosion engulfed several floors.

A person who answered the phone on the trading floor at interdealer-broker Cantor Fitzgerald, located near the top of the World Trade Center, said: "We're f***ing dying," then hung up. There was screaming and yelling in the background. A follow up call was not answered.

"This has got to be one of the most horrendous terrorist attacks perhaps ever perpetrated," terrorism expert Chris Yates told Sky News.

Flights grounded

All flights to the US have been diverted to Canada. All flights in the US have been grounded. Telephone lines to New York are all down.

President Bush was in Florida at the time of the attacks but is now returning to Washington.

Thanks to everybody, especially rehearsal and brettig...I appreciate this...

This is truly tragic...I'm in shock still...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bonochick (edited 09-11-2001).]

Sorry if things are being repeated but I am posting AP stories as i find them:

Apparent Terrorist Attack Hits NYC, D.C.

.c The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (Sept. 11) - NEW YORK (AP) - In a horrific sequence of destruction, terrorists crashed two planes into the World Trade Center, and the twin 110-story towers collapsed Tuesday morning. An aircraft also crashed at the Pentagon in apparent coordinated series of attacks that spread fear across the nation.

''I have a sense it's a horrendous number of lives lost,'' Mayor Rudolph Giuliani said. ''I don't know yet. Right now we have to focus on saving as many lives as possible.''

Authorities had been trying to evacuate those who work in the twin towers, but many were thought to have been trapped. About 50,000 people work at the Trade Center.

''This is perhaps the most audacious terrorist attack that's ever taken place in the world,'' said Chris Yates, an aviation expert at Jane's Transport in London. ''It takes a logistics operation from the terror group involved that is second to none. Only a very small handful of terror groups is on that list. ... I would name at the top of the list Osama bin Laden.''

President Bush ordered a full-scale investigation to ''hunt down the folks who committed this act.''

Within the hour, an aircraft crashed on a helicopter landing pad near the Pentagon, and the White House, the Pentagon and the Capitol were evacuated.

One of the planes that crashed into the Trade Center was American Airlines Flight 11, hijacked after takeoff from Boston en route to Los Angeles, the airline said. American Airlines issued a statement saying it had ''lost'' two aircraft - Flight 11, with 92 people aboard, and Flight 77 from Washington to Los Angeles, carrying 64 people.

In Pennsylvania, United Airlines Flight 93, a Boeing 757 en route from Newark, N.J., to San Francisco, crashed about 80 miles southeast of Pittsburgh. The fate of those aboard was not immediately known and it was not clear if the crash was related to the disasters elsewhere. In a statement, the airline also said it was deeply concerned about another plane, Flight 175, a Boeing 767 bound from Boston to Los Angeles.

Authorities went on alert from coast to coast, halting all air traffic, evacuating high-profile buildings and tightening security at strategic installations. The Situation Room at the White House was in full operation.

At the World Trade Center, ''everyone was screaming, crying, running, cops, people, firefighters, everyone,'' said Mike Smith, a fire marshal. ''It's like a war zone.''

''I just saw the building I work in come down,'' said businessman Gabriel Ioan, shaking in shock outside City Hall, a cloud of smoke and ash from the World Trade Center behind him. ''I just saw the top of Trade Two come down.''

Nearby a crowd mobbed a man on a pay phone, screaming at him to get off the phone so that they could call relatives. Dust and dirt flew everywhere. Ash was 2 to 3 inches deep in places. People wandered dazed and terrified.

Evacuations were ordered at the United Nations in New York and at the Sears Tower in Chicago. Los Angeles mobilized its anti-terrorism division, and security was intensified around the naval facilities in Hampton Roads, Va.

The planes blasted fiery, gaping holes in the upper floors of the twin towers. A witness said he saw bodies falling and people jumping out. About an hour later, the southern tower collapsed with a roar and a huge cloud of smoke; the other tower fell about a half-hour after that, covering lower Manhattan in heaps of gray rubble and broken glass. Firefighters trapped in the rubble radioed for help.

''Today we've had a national tragedy,'' Bush said in Sarasota, Fla. ''Two airplanes have crashed into the World Trade Center in an apparent terrorist attack on our country.'' He said he would be returning immediately to Washington.

The crashes at the World Trade Center happened minutes apart, beginning just before 9 a.m.

Heavy black smoke billowed into the sky above one of New York City's most famous landmarks, and debris rained down on the street, one of the city's busiest work areas. When the second plane hit, a fireball of flame and smoke erupted, leaving a huge hole in the glass and steel tower.

John Axisa, who was getting off a commuter train to the World Trade Center, said he saw ''bodies falling out'' of the building. He said he ran outside, and watched people jump out of the first building. Then there was a second explosion, and he felt heat on the back of neck.

WCBS-TV, citing an FBI agent, said five or six people jumped out of the windows. Witnesses on the street screamed every time another person leaped.

People ran down the stairs in panic and fled the building. Thousands of pieces of what appeared to be office paper drifted over Brooklyn, about three miles away.

Several subway lines were immediately shut down. Trading on Wall Street was suspended. New York's mayoral primary election was postponed. All bridges and tunnels into Manhattan were closed down.

David Reck was handing out literature for a candidate for public advocate a few blocks away when he saw a jet come in ''very low, and then it made a slight twist and dove into the building.''

Terrorist bombers struck the World Trade Center in February 1993, killing six people and injuring more than 1,000 others.

''A second occurrence is just beyond belief,'' said Ira Furber, former National Transportation Safety Board spokesman.

''It's just sick. It just shows how vulnerable we really are,'' Keith Meyers, 39, said in Columbus, Ohio. ''It kind of makes you want to go home and spend time with your family. It puts everything in perspective,'' Meyers said. He said he called to check in with his wife. They have two young children.

In New York, ''we heard a large boom and then we saw all this debris just falling,'' said Harriet Grimm, who was inside a bookstore on the World Trade Center's first floor when the first explosion rocked the building.

''The plane was coming in low and ... it looked like it hit at a slight angle,'' said Sean Murtagh, a CNN vice president, the network reported.

In 1945, an Army Air Corps B-25, a twin-engine bomber, crashed into the 79th floor of the Empire State Building in dense fog.

In Florida, Bush was reading to children in a classroom at 9:05 a.m. when his chief of staff, Andrew Card, whispered into his ear. The president briefly turned somber before he resumed reading. He addressed the tragedy about a half-hour later.

This affects all aspects of our country:

The Nasdaq Stock Market will not open today. Emergency market conditions in effect. All Nasdaq and OTC
trading suspended.

This goes for Dow Jones and all other trading markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom