TTTYAATW connects with younger crowd.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hallucination

Refugee
O.k. so I dj in a club and have been doing so for the last 4 years. I try my best to mix it up but inevitably I need to play to the crowd which 9 times outta ten means playing the standard Justin Timberlake, Gwen Stefani, 50 Cent and Timbaland etc. etc. kinda stuff. One thing I've done as a staple is I rarely, rarely ever play a slow song to end the night. I've learned that contrary to what most dj's do, playing a fast popular song at the end generates a much more positive and lasting impression than playing a slow popular song. Having said that, tonight, somthing in me just wanted a slow song to end things. I didn't want to play anything typical and for some odd reason I had Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World in my head. I played it to end the night and I shit you not I had 8 different people(7 girls, 1 guy) come up to me durring and after the song to ask who it was. That's a huge response in terms of interest. All of them loved it and getting that kind of response at a time of the night when everyone is either leaving or too drunk to care was awesome. Not to mention the fact the age range of the people asking about the song was likley 18-22 at the most. Anywasys it just opened my eyes to how many young people there are out there that don't fully know and or appreciate what U2 is. They hear Pride, SBS, New Year's Day and Vertigo on the radio and that's it. That's their impression. Tonight reafirmed my confidence in the band's ability to appeal to all ages in mass. The kids just gotta hear the material ;-)

That's good to hear the kids appreciating a bit of (semi) old school U2. Most young people I know seem to know only the big hits that have been flogged on radio (Vertigo, Beautiful Day, Elevation) and are completely oblivious to the whole 90's phase.
I never thought TTTYAATW was a great song, but it is quite groovy and just the thing that some intoxicated people might like. That bass line sounds wicked on a good sound system.

Great to see just how extensive a reach some of U2's lesser known songs still possess. Although not a personal favourite, I always liked the imagery Bono managed to get into those initial lyrics.

'Falling off the sidewalk, your lips move but you can't talk'

'Sunrise like a nosebleed, your head hurts and you can't breath'

Oh and the live versions were pretty enjoyable too.

It's a song that makes sense to teenagers lyrically. I've seen fellow classmates publicly intoxicated, and that's the song that pops into my head. Everytime.

I'm curious, Hallucination, what responses did you get when you told the people it was U2?

This song never gets enough credit, and it's a shame it dropped out of the live show, because the extra (or louder) guitar part made it even better.

And of course it was axed from the Sydney tape/DVD, which probably didn't help its legacy.

I'm glad some kids appreciate it. My friends constantly make fun of me for liking U2 and all of my other music claiming it to be "old"
Truthfully none of my friends like U2, and ive tried getting them to listen to their stuff.
rock on to all the cool young U2 fans!

lazarus said:
I'm curious, Hallucination, what responses did you get when you told the people it was U2?

This song never gets enough credit, and it's a shame it dropped out of the live show, because the extra (or louder) guitar part made it even better.

And of course it was axed from the Sydney tape/DVD, which probably didn't help its legacy.

They pretty much all just said "really?" with a funny look on their face. Some asked if it was new. One girl said she "knew it" when I told her it was U2 but she also thought it was a new song. They all pretty much looked slightly confused when I told them it was from Achtung Baby in 1991. Almost as if they were dissapointed that is was U2 because they weren't sure if it was cool to like U2 :laugh: It made me wonder if alot of young people think U2 was an 80's band who reunited in 2000 with ATYCLB.

Anyways I really liked how it went over so I'm thinking of ending with it more often when I decide to slow it down at the end for a change.

Hallucination said:

It made me wonder if alot of young people think U2 was an 80's band who reunited in 2000 with ATYCLB.

Anyways I really liked how it went over so I'm thinking of ending with it more often when I decide to slow it down at the end for a change.

Good call. I sometimes wonder if young people think this as well. Reminds me of being a U2 fan in the late 90s... most people did think they were just going to fade away, or thought they had already.. ATYCLB really deserves more credit than it gets. I doubt people would even remember Pop and Zooropa if it weren't for the U2 of the 00s...

also reminds me of hearing about Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones in the late 80s and early 90s, (when I was a pre-teenager) only they DID break up and re-form...

I love your idea of playing TTTYAATW more at the club..!.. if I were in your shoes I'd rotate that one with Lemon, Do You Feel Loved, Mofo and Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car, but of course that's just me.

:rockon: Hallucination! (nice name, haha)

Out of curiosity, who//what else do you play there?

I'd've thought that Numb or Salome would be good club dancing songs...

But well done! It's good that people don't just think of U2 as "the band what did iPod ads, Vertigo and Beautiful Day"...

Hallucination, if you're thinking of using Tryin' again as a closer, you should give Playboy Mansion a spin sometime as well. It has a similar mellow trip-hop sound, and even if it doesn't have the hangover lyrics of the other song, you might get a good response.

EdgeIsTooSexy said:
I'm glad some kids appreciate it. My friends constantly make fun of me for liking U2 and all of my other music claiming it to be "old"
Truthfully none of my friends like U2, and ive tried getting them to listen to their stuff.
rock on to all the cool young U2 fans!

Hi EdgeIsTooSexy,
Do they like the Stones or Pink Floyd etc? I think part of what draws someone to a certain band or music is not just how it makes them feel, but for some people, how it makes them think about things. And U2's music makes us do both very much.
Maybe that is part of the factor that draws a younger person to their music( do you feel that way?). a sort of consciousness.

And I just noticed the thread in EYKIW, U2 and younger people.
Good comments there.

Last edited:
I love TTTYAATW(I think it should have just typed that, took me just as long to get the acronym right) and I'm 15. But I never thought of it as a drinking song, just relaxing.

I've always thought all the remixed songs at the end of the bsides 90s would be fun club songs. Especially Salome.

I'm 20 and people think it's kind of amusing that I'm this into U2. I request U2 songs at clubs/parties and they think I'm crazy. I did have a blast at a bar/club in Vienna that was doing 80s dj night and played New Year's Day and Streets. I requested I Will Follow and was told they were doing 80s...I told them it came out in 1980 and they played Streets instead... Lastunicorn, if you're reading, this was at Chelsea under the u6 tracks.

WCF, it's definitely about being shitfaced. But as with many U2 songs, like a certain song about a hangover, it can have many meanings.

Great thread. I DJ too and I went to great lengths last year to find Achtung on vinyl, just so I could play that song :) And I've gotten a couple of questions from the trainspotters too ("hey what SONG is that?") so I totally know what you mean.

:wink:

Only problem for me is, that track now skips, whenever I play it!

:mad:

...not that there's a thing wrong w/ the original version, but anyone know if there are any trippy/dub/whatever remixes of TTYYAATW out there? Would love to hear 'em -- seems like that song is just aching to be remixed.

:drool:

Last edited:
You know it´s funny but I you were to ask me I would normally say I hate this song but when I play it I sin along to most of it if not all of it. It´s strange.

blm said:

Hi EdgeIsTooSexy,
Do they like the Stones or Pink Floyd etc? I think part of what draws someone to a certain band or music is not just how it makes them feel, but for some people, how it makes them think about things. And U2's music makes us do both very much.
Maybe that is part of the factor that draws a younger person to their music( do you feel that way?). a sort of consciousness.

And I just noticed the thread in EYKIW, U2 and younger people.
Good comments there.

Nope. None of my friends are into good music
Also I think 'the image' the music gives them is important. I know my sister likes some U2 but she wont admit because shes into the whole emo scene and it would probably make her look bad? Not sure. All I know is that idc what my friends say Im always going to like my music.
Everything about U2 draws me to them. The amazing music, their humor, and I like how they take a stand for what they believe in.

That's really cool that they appreciated the song. I wonder if you could try playing something from Pop, they might like it.

Hallucination said:

Almost as if they were dissapointed that is was U2 because they weren't sure if it was cool to like U2 :laugh:

I like that reaction in poeple too when I tell them :lol:

Back
Top Bottom