Trip Through Your Wires appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
This song is absolutely wonderful. After watching its pre-Joshua Tree performance (with Womanfish), which contained some terrible unfinished lyrics, I've come to really appreciate its gorgeous melody. It's just a simple 3 chord jam, but it succeeds in ways that its more staunch brethren fail; such as in pure fun. God bless the Edge for vetoing the other guys' votes to get it on the record. It was a genius move.

LemonMelon said:

So would've WOWY, but you don't see saying that out loud.

...Oops. :crack:

doctorwho would agree with you there. :wink:

I really don't understand why TTYW made JT and Spanish Eyes didn't, though. TTYW would've been fine as ISHFWILF's b-side.

Though I will admit, there are some pretty enjoyable live performances of TTYW floating around. (Interestingly [to me anyway], TTYW is the only JT song to have not been performed since the end of the JT Tour.)

It's a great song, beautiful melodies and vocals throughout. The Joshua Tree is such an intense album that it's so nice to have this to break up the darknesss, especially just before the "death trilogy".
Love it.
"You, I'm waiting for you...." Beautiful stuff!

Funny, it's the only song I put on my Independence Day mix CD. It's one of U2's few fun, "let er rip" kinda songs.

This song is soo great to play along wi on my bass. Its one of them songs you could just play and play. I wont tolerate any TTYW bashing on here....HEATHENS that they are!:wink:

I've heard it described as being "too twangy". But what's wrong with a little twang now and then? Trip Through Your Wires is an amazingly fun song. Especially to sing along to all of Bono's crazy little yelps: "Woohoo! YEA!" and of course, "No more water in the well, no more water, WATER!"

Canadiens1160 said:
It's great. I don't know why people bash it.
Wankers.

:love: :up:

It's a good song. I honestly don't understand why people don't like it. I've always enjoyed it. It's sorta bluesy-twangy-rock.

Jack In The Box said:
it's awesome live

Agreed. Yesterday, I was listening to one of my favorite U2 concert bootlegs (from Chicago April/1987 - I think it may be called "Rock's Hottest Ticket" or something). Anyway, Trip Through Your Wires is the third song played in the lineup of the show (right after Streets and I Will Follow and before I Still Haven't Found).

So, U2 was obviously giving that song some prominent attention on that tour. The performance of that song, on that bootleg, is outstanding. It is very fired up and the crowd is really into it -- (the crowd was really into the whole show actually). By the way, that bootleg gets my vote for the best audio live performance of Streets.

Gasp! A bad song on The Joshua Tree, which many people consider to be U2's magnum opus? You've got it, fanboy, and it won't be the last time I set foot on this sacred ground. To be sure, Tree has its share of classics, but even in its early prime, U2 wasn't invulnerable, and this song proves it. "Trip Through Your Wires" has sort of a country/western vibe to it, which wouldn't be so bad in itself if there were a degree of inspiration at work here. Sadly, it doesn't feel like there is, and the jangly nature of the guitar through the end of the tune just screams that they had a basic chord progression and felt like they needed to do something to push it over the edge (Edge, get it? Ha!). Anyhoo...it's bad.

http://www.ugo.com/channels/music/features/top11/lamestu2songs/lamestu2songs1.asp

their review of it lol.

TTYW is a good rockin', countryfied song that sounds like U2 letting their hair down. I always appreciated the harmonica solo in it, and I wish Bono would blow on the harp in more songs.

As for why TTYW was on the Joshua Tree and Spanish Eyes was not is simple. Spanish Eyes was not considered finished enough by the time they came to mastering the album so they left it off.

Back
Top Bottom