Tribute To Heroes Thing: let me get on my soapbox!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS IS TOTALLY BULLSHIT!
that's what im saying

when i watched this on saturday morning (here in Australia), someone on the other side of the house blurted out to me that this concert was a complete and utter waste of time

and someone further backed it up by saying that this was for the wrong intention

and in many ways it came across to me that america IS the richest country in the world. they have the nickname 'the land of opportunity' just because someone bombed a landmark, doesnt mean that they are suddenly palestine

that these celebrities were giving an hour of their time to this cause was also hypocritical as well because as much as each person could have donated, one but couldnt help the fact that a day's work for these so-called 'stars' would have been able to amass whatever 'people worldwide' could do

i mean when dave matthews was performing, someone said that this was very similar to someone on the side of the street singing with a guitar begging for money, and money which isnt used for any good reason

which leads me to another point, that what on earth was going to happen with this money? are they going to like use this to just kill more people, just as 'innocent' as those killed at the wtc attack?
i mean they say they are going to compensate victims of the attack, but hasnt anyone heard of a thing called 'insurance'? ok sure this is a terrorist attack and stuff like this isnt covered surely fucked up insurance companies should have some heart and give some compensation

i mean i was just thinking in the case of the former american basketball player manute bol, when he finished his basketball career he gave his 10s of millions he got from his mediocre play to support a civil war. and now he's bankrupt. well.. der! its no wonder someone deserves to be bankrupt after contributing to a fucked up cause like that hey?

and this so called telethon is in the same vein as the case of manute, people using their hard earned, just because they want to release blind vengeance on people just as innocent on the other side of the fence

i mean they are going to be comparing this thing to something like live aid organised by bob geldof all those years ago and to a lesser extent netaid a couple of years ago. but bob had his heart in the right place, that those people were unjustly trapped in a world they clearly never had any control over when they were born. this tribute to heroes thing is rubbish because we are just giving compensation to those who may be feeling grief right now, but will end up feeling like they won lotto, ok, you might have lost someone close to you, but youre still alive right? you can still walk, you are still breathing therefore there is absolutely nothing wrong with you. ok the terrorists may have taken your close one's life, yet this world is still a free place just as the same as having the right to choose to be sad, we still have the right to choose to be happy.
and for those who lost their jobs when the WTC came down, well those are some of the smartest, most cunning people in the world, as if they need compensation, they will find jobs and possibly a better life

if anything, a charity for the poor people in afghanistan suffering because of that oppressive taliban regime should have been more in the order

all i can say is: this world is completely and utterly fucked

*i shall step off my soapbox*

i really think you suck for making this thread

all i have to say to you is fuck off

the only legitimate point you made is about the hypocritical celebrities who use it as good publicity and won't part just a little bit of their riches and instead ask people to give who don't have a fraction of their money

but other than that, you really pissed me off with this thread, especially the part about the people who lost jobs because of the WTC attacks... and what the fuck do you think is happening to these family members of people who were killed?!?!

oh christ, how pleasant this thread is, real nice

i'm sure you're actually a decent person, but what the fuck are you thinking about?!?!

and another thing, if a body is not identified and you don't have valid conformation that the person died, you cannot collect insurance, and if you've been following the news, you'll know that most of the "missing" people have not and will not be identified

Shit...you're going to get hammered for that one...

I thought it was very very good and done very very well. Except Celine Dion makes me sick and Fred Durst can't sing, but then there would have been alot of kiddies watching who wouldn't know who Neil Young is but worship Durst.
But yeah, I think it was done for all the right reasons, and it was something that easily could have come across as ultra tacky and cheesy, but was done with alot of class. (Little things like not announcing in any way who the artists were..)
Plus U2 were incredible. Sent a shiver down my spine, esp the POE start and the bit at the start of Walk On when he does the Whoooaaah thingys and he turns the last one into that catastrophic scream, and the Hallelujah's at the end, and 'whatever it means' but the yelling "I'm coming home" and Natalie Imbruglia is a babe.

Crashedcardriver, do you think you can be a little more insensative????????

You sound like you've never lost a loved one!! And I'll bet you'd feel differently if something like that happened in YOUR country (and God I hope it DOESN'T!!!!!!!)

Perhaps those performers DID donate out of their pockets and we don't know about it. Who knows. And that was a good point made somewhere above, that survivors might not be able to collect insurance. This was such a catastrophic event that it wouldn't surprise me if some insurance companies go belly-up.

Well that's all I have to say, for now.....

Oh my...this topic had over 40 replies before the server change.

Now we get to hear them all over again...

Melon

------------------
How long must we sing this song?!

Here's a scenario for you.

Crashedcardriver says, "Blah, blah, blah, America sucks, get over it, it's only 7000 dead Americans."

America does not kill these animals (not the whole country of Afganistan, just the Taliban, the terrorists responsible and those who aided them).

Austrilia is attacked.

Crashedcardriver will then say, "Uh, hi, America? Could you please help us over here?" And you know what else? Your country wouldn't have a telethon for the victims like that because nobody would give a dime to a bunch of Aussie "celebrities" that nobody has ever heard of before. I felt proud that those celebrities all came together for this cause. Celebrities are who we look up to (as fucked as that may be), but if it gets people to donate to a cause such as this one, then I'm all for it.

Before I leave you be in your rotten existence, let me ask you one thing; what the fuck good has Austrilia done for the world? If you can name 5 world-wide, life-changing positive effects Austrilia has contributed to the world, I will be shocked. I know America is far from perfect and has done a lot of bad, but the good this country has spread across the world outweighs it 10 fold.

ps-If your ever in NY and you're in need for a good asswhipping, look me up.

pss-How was U2 this tour? Oh, you didn't get to see them in your great country. You did get to watch them on the telethon though. See you at the concert asshole.

Originally posted by wolfwill23:

Crashedcardriver says, "Blah, blah, blah, America sucks, get over it, it's only 7000 dead Americans."

America does not kill these animals (not the whole country of Afganistan, just the Taliban, the terrorists responsible and those who aided them).

Austrilia is attacked.

Crashedcardriver will then say, "Uh, hi, America? Could you please help us over here?" And you know what else? Your country wouldn't have a telethon for the victims like that because nobody would give a dime to a bunch of Aussie "celebrities" that nobody has ever heard of before. I felt proud that those celebrities all came together for this cause. Celebrities are who we look up to (as fucked as that may be), but if it gets people to donate to a cause such as this one, then I'm all for it.

Before I leave you be in your rotten existence, let me ask you one thing; what the fuck good has Austrilia done for the world? If you can name 5 world-wide, life-changing positive effects Austrilia has contributed to the world, I will be shocked. I know America is far from perfect and has done a lot of bad, but the good this country has spread across the world outweighs it 10 fold.

pss-How was U2 this tour? Oh, you didn't get to see them in your great country. You did get to watch them on the telethon though. See you at the concert asshole.

*Stay calm....breathe....count to 10...don't react...bites tongue....punches screen...walks away*

*Will say one thing*

One achievement of Australias worth noting...
NO Australian has ever died fighting for or defending Australia - we've never picked a fight or had one picked against us.

But thousands and thousands of Australians have died defending and fighting for many countries including the British, French and... the USA on many many occasions.

Slag CrashedCarDriver all you want, he's obviously a fuckhead, but slagging a whole country that has never done anything to you except help you out....

[This message has been edited by TylerDurden (edited 09-24-2001).]

Originally posted by melon:
Now we get to hear them all over again...
I hope not, if there is a repeat of all that Aussie bashing I WILL get mad

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

You won't find me bashing Australia! I have pals there and It's one of my dreams to visit there. I just hope I don't run into Crashed while I'm there. I'd have to give him a taste of my Aries side! LOL!

Posts have disappeared. Thread still sucks!

------------------
Alcohol is your friend!

Originally posted by CrashedCarDriver:
THIS IS TOTALLY BULLSHIT!
that's what im saying

when i watched this on saturday morning (here in Australia), someone on the other side of the house blurted out to me that this concert was a complete and utter waste of time

and someone further backed it up by saying that this was for the wrong intention

Gee, it only raised 150M toward disaster relief. Isn't that sum equal to Australia's GNP??

that these celebrities were giving an hour of their time to this cause was also hypocritical as well because as much as each person could have donated, one but couldnt help the fact that a day's work for these so-called 'stars' would have been able to amass whatever 'people worldwide' could do

Many did donate. I believe Julia Roberts gave something like 2M....

which leads me to another point, that what on earth was going to happen with this money? are they going to like use this to just kill more people, just as 'innocent' as those killed at the wtc attack?
i mean they say they are going to compensate victims of the attack, but hasnt anyone heard of a thing called 'insurance'?

insurance isn't enough

this tribute to heroes thing is rubbish because we are just giving compensation to those who may be feeling grief right now, but will end up feeling like they won lotto, ok, you might have lost someone close to you, but youre still alive right? you can still walk, you are still breathing therefore there is absolutely nothing wrong with you. ok the terrorists may have taken your close one's life, yet this world is still a free place just as the same as having the right to choose to be sad, we still have the right to choose to be happy.

Too stupid to reply to.

if anything, a charity for the poor people in afghanistan suffering because of that oppressive taliban regime should have been more in the order.

If you bothered to investigate, the USA is the biggest giver of aid to Afghanistan, and probably will give even more once we kick the Taliban out.

all i can say is: this world is completely and utterly fucked

If for no other reason than your existence on it.

CCD, you are completely fucked in the head. If this is truly how you feel, put on a turban and join the Taliban. You'll look good with cross hairs on your sorry ass.

------------------
Sometimes the most powerful thing you can do for someone is to just tell them to fuck off. I am told to fuck off rather a lot by these three gentlemen.

Originally posted by TylerDurden:
*Will say one thing*

One achievement of Australias worth noting...
NO Australian has ever died fighting for or defending Australia - we've never picked a fight or had one picked against us.

But thousands and thousands of Australians have died defending and fighting for many countries including the British, French and... the USA on many many occasions.

Tyler, were you sick the day they taught history in history class? The only reason the above is even remotely true is because of a little thing called the Battle of Midway. Had the US lost that one to the Japs, your ass would be eating rice and raw fish every night.

------------------
Sometimes the most powerful thing you can do for someone is to just tell them to fuck off. I am told to fuck off rather a lot by these three gentlemen.

Maybe, maybe not. At the time no-one had any idea, but looking back on what we now know, the Japanese had no intentions of coming near Australia. Too big, too sparse, no threat. The only thing that attracted them here was to attack the US bases at Darwin and Sydney. Of course we are forever grateful that the US were there then, even though the direct threat never happened, and have since fought for you in Korea, Vietnam, the Gulf and now this.
I was not in anyway having a dig at the US, I'm not even sure why you raised that point, and I in no way (along with about 96% of the Australian population) agree with CrashedCar's attitude, I was just pointing out to wolfwill that the country he decided to (lamely, cheaply and ignorantly) tear apart is one of only 3 or 4 countries that always always give the US their unconditional support, even way before it's asked for, and that seemed a little unfair.

[This message has been edited by TylerDurden (edited 09-25-2001).]

I can't be bothered to retype my post from yesterday, but to the ignorant people bashing Australia: how very very sad you are! Can't you feel good about yourselves without slagging others off? If you think that just because one Aussie has ridiculous opinions, that gives you the right to piss all over the entire country, you're dead wrong, and you're a symptom of everything that's wrong with the world at the moment. I hope your leaders have more sense!

Did I "piss all over Austrilia?" I've met many Aussies and I've liked them all. Sure they may be in need of visiting a dentist, but they are really cool and great partiers. Now, what did I write in my post that was not true? How did I destroy your whole country. Just the facts please.

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
i really think you suck for making this thread

all i have to say to you is fuck off

the only legitimate point you made is about the hypocritical celebrities who use it as good publicity and won't part just a little bit of their riches and instead ask people to give who don't have a fraction of their money

but other than that, you really pissed me off with this thread, especially the part about the people who lost jobs because of the WTC attacks... and what the fuck do you think is happening to these family members of people who were killed?!?!

oh christ, how pleasant this thread is, real nice

i'm sure you're actually a decent person, but what the fuck are you thinking about?!?!

all im saying is that not everything is as it seems ok?

i do not condone these acts of terrorism but i just have this view that when america is attacked it seems like armageddon has arrived

but when israel is attacked, kosovo, bosnia, central african countries? does anyone give a shit?

there is absolutely NO balance whatsoever

Austrilia is attacked.

yeh but there has to be a line drawn here doesnt it?
i mean what entitles americans to 'love'?
just because they are americans? there are other nations in the world where generations more people die in terrorism, yet nobody gives a shit about what happens, thinking that, 'ok it happens'

even if this even happened in england there wouldnt be something like this telethon happen

i can see the concept of 'big guns' happening right there. like what gives the americans the right to be king of entertainment? to have all the known actors?

This post is so laughable ...no one should take this seriously. No human person is so hard hearted as this person makes themselves out to be...he obviously doesn't know the effect of lost wages on a family in the US...especially in a family that may have no medical insurance...lost their home...lost their primary source of income. I have no problem helping the kids of a fallen firefighter get through college...
I'm sure these people will not feel like they have won the lottery...they will get what they need and no more...if asked I'm sure they would all rather give the money back...and have the loved one back alive.

And let's not bash Australia...I think that's what he wants..

He's not bashing America...he seems to have something against our telethons...which can be forgiven. He may not know they are part of our culture. Of course they wouldn't have one in England...its not part of their culture...its an American thing. Something happens...we have a telethon. We have a huge one every labor day to help find a cure for mucular dystrophy...with celebs and everything. If he doesnt' like them...that's his perogative...but its not going to effect whether we keep having them or not.

He may not know a lot of these celebs have already given chunks of money..

ANd the idea of the money going to the military is so laughable...with our bloated military budget we can assure you...they don't need a telethon..(that one had me going off in peals of laughter. I even shared it with other people and got the same response) They may conduct charity work in secret in Australia...but here the records are open and subject to audit and review...if the money doesn't go where they say...well..they don't remain a charity very long.

He doesn't like our actors and entertainers...well..he doesn't have to...he doesn't have to watch their movies or listen to their records or have anything to do with them at all...he can ignore them completely and he'll be very happy I'm sure....

Its pure culture clash I'm sure...so we educate him...and he eithe accepts it or rejects it...but either way we all move on...

Oh...and I think giving aid to the Afghan refugees a good idea...but its going to be hard...what with the Taliban seizing the food to apparently feed their own troops...

dream wanderer

CrashedCar - Americans don't demand any right to have "all the known actors" - that is the most inane things I have seen on this site. First of all, U2, Sting, Enrique Inglesias, Celine Dion - none of these telethon participants are Americans. Second, just for the record (and the irony here is grand), an Australian won the Oscar last year for Best Actor.

And to reply to you statement that no one cares when things happen in other countries: Israel gets the most foreign aid (not loans, aid) from the US, we got involved in Kosovo and Bosnia, and while our record in central Africa is shameful, we have recently forgiven debt to the poorest nations. Additionally, Americans started the Peace Corps, which sends more workers to Africa than any other region in the world.

If you don't like the idea of helping out others, then don't. But don't knock others.

Did I "piss all over Austrilia?" I've met many Aussies and I've liked them all. Sure they may be in need of visiting a dentist, but they are really cool and great partiers. Now, what did I write in my post that was not true? How did I destroy your whole country. Just the facts please.

Don't worry Wolfwill!

Klodomir doesn't use facts. He just attacks people personally.

------------------
Alcohol is your friend!

Originally posted by CrashedCarDriver:
all im saying is that not everything is as it seems ok?

i do not condone these acts of terrorism but i just have this view that when america is attacked it seems like armageddon has arrived

but when israel is attacked, kosovo, bosnia, central african countries? does anyone give a shit?

there is absolutely NO balance whatsoever

I'm too tired to repeat my post in the thread that got deleted in the changeover, but I'll just make some points.

This is not your typical terrorist attack! NO country has ever had a terrorist attack on this big of a scale. 6000 people have died because of one terrorist attack. So of course people are going to make a big deal out of it, because it is a very big deal. If this same attack took place in England, France, Germany, Australia, or any other place where an attack this large would be plausible, people would be making just as big of a deal out of it.

And as far as anyone giving a shit, the US gives more in aid to these countries than all other countries combined. For Kosovo, we sent our own troops there to try and help out. We sent our own troops to Somalia to try and give aid. We are very active in encouraging Israel and Palestine to engage in the peace process.

So it's quite obvious that you have very little if any knowledge of what's really going on in this world. You just think it sounds nice to say "does anyone care when this happens?" Americans do give a shit, which is why we give a larger percentage of our GNP to foreign aid than any other country. But apparently facts don't interest you much.

Your credibility on this subject is hovering between very low and nothing. So keep you misinformed, ignorant and callous remarks to yourself. You only make yourself look like a bigger fool.

Originally posted by mikal:
no she doesn't
but I do you ignorant piece of shit

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I'm glad I didn't see this thread before the server switch... *shakes head and walks away*

Before I go, I just have to re-emphasize the amount of stupidity present in a remark suggesting that anyone affected by this terrorist attack will come out feeling as if they have "won the lottery"... still don't understand or care to understand how you could draw that conclusion. These people will only receive enough to where they can begin to put the pieces back together. Rather than discouraging people from donating towards that, I'd be encouraging it, because one day it could be you who is in need of a helping hand... you never know when the things you say or do will turn on you.

Ugh. Fucking stupid thread from the start.
CrashedCarDriver you are a complete fucking dumbarse.
And I'm sorry this got into a slinging match involving countries.

[This message has been edited by TylerDurden (edited 09-25-2001).]

I hope I dont piss anybody off but................CrashedCarDriver can lick my balls! Again Im sorry but I feel I had to write that.....okay I didnt have to but I wanted to!

So it's wrong for US "AMERICANS" to band together when "AMERICA" suffers from a terrible act of terrorism? So it's wrong for us to hold a telethon to raise money to aid in our getting back on our feet?

So a lot of bad things happen in other countries yet no one gives a shit? Maybe if other countries weren't so fucked up then maybe you would see a total banding together of a nations people during the time of crisis. We can't help it if most other countries are being controlled by asshole militant leaders that believe it's okay to die for God because in God's eyes dying is not failure.

So why do you see something like a telethon held in America instead of other countries? We are a strong proud nation that is capable of pulling together enough resources, we aren't ruled by an asshole leader that denies our country money and resources. We believe in freedom and strength and most of all unity.

So maybe you are mind boggled at such a feat, but hey I guess you need to be American, and need to live here to understand what's going on.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by Salome:
Originally posted by mikal:
no she doesn't
but I do you ignorant piece of shit

Obviously you didn't see her post directed at me.

And if you're gonna be a dick like that, why don't you just "shake it" the hell out of here!

------------------
Alcohol is your friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom