Travelling with Passengers on a SLUG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
I've been doing a lot of travelling lately and have been listening to Passengers a lot...it is a great travelling companion, except if your tired...but then 'Theme from Let's Go Native' always wakes me back from my hypnotic ride with Passengers.

Anyways, I've always loved 'Slug', just the way the instruments lead into the vocals in the beginning is almost trance-like in sucking you into the mind and heart of Bono. Here is again, the man singing to his lover, singing to his demons, singing to himself in almost convincing fashion.

My favorite lines are "Don't want to clothe the curve, don't want to make you swerve." It seems to tell of Bono's willingness to live on the edge, to not play it safe, but at the same time, not wanting anyone to get hurt by his actions. Also, the beautiful, closing line..."Don't want to stay the same.", which appears to be a contradictory statement to the title of the song...any thoughts?

Chris

Don't want to lose my shirt
Don't want to dig the dirt
Don't want you to get hurt
Can't help it, I'm a flirt

Don't want to take your drugs
Don't want to be your slug
Don't want to overdress
Don't want to make a mess
Don't want you to confess
Not under duress

Don't want to be untrue
I want to be with you

Don't want to lose my nerve
Don't want to clothe the curve
Don't want to make you swerve
Don't want what I deserve
Don't want to change the frame
Don't want to be a pain
Don't want to stay the same

great great song.......I relate to this song a lot...one thing is that I liked it better when I thought the line was "I am dangerous" instead of "Not under duress"....I still sing it that way

"I am dangerous"...would work in Bono's case, but leaves in question as to what level of degree...also, reminds me of the lyric..."Your dangerous, cause your honest"...which even though Bono wrote about a woman in that song, and I feel it can also be applied to Bono, as well as himself in Slug.

Chris

"slug" could be my biography. no joke. thank you.

~Zoo~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

I love Passengers.

ju_gifi1.gif

------------------
Holy Dunc Spacejunk Coming In For The Splash

Sicy's Website

LOVE this song, and the whole CD.

So here's my two cents. The lyrics are a confession by Bono, trying to explain himself to Ali...and/or to everyone else.

He doesn't want her to get hurt, but he knows he's flirtatious...doesn't want to do the drugs that everyone else (in the biz) seems to be into...doesn't want to force Ali (or anyone)into 'confessing'...love? respect? awe? for him...he doesn't want what he deserves (for all that flirting?)...the last two lines really sum it all up, I think.

Don't want to lose my shirt
Don't want to dig the dirt
Don't want you to get hurt
Can't help it, I'm a flirt

Don't want to take your drugs
Don't want to be your slug
Don't want to overdress
Don't want to make a mess
Don't want you to confess
Not under duress

Don't want to be untrue
I want to be with you

Don't want to lose my nerve
Don't want to clothe the curve
Don't want to make you swerve
Don't want what I deserve
Don't want to change the frame
Don't want to be a pain
Don't want to stay the same

As I?ve listened to the song a few more times, it is almost like a lullaby in its approach, leaving the listener reflective to the point of shielding the heaviness of the lyric?the sluggishness is in the musical approach and in Bono?s style which is almost monotone in its approach, and yet done to cover the soul revealing of Bono. I just can?t get enough to the song and the almost biographical nature of not just Bono, but within each of us to some extent.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom