Translation (from French) of Belgium review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oceane

Refugee
Found on U2achtung.com. This is from a Belgium newspaper. I don't know what kind of paper it is, as I am not from Belgium...

The first half is about how the 'listening party' occured. Nothing new so I will only translate the part on the album.

"The assembly, very calm, takes place in the rows of chairs in front of a giant screen where we can see parts of the one-hour long DVD to be released: making of, alternate takes... We will remember especially this phrase from Bono: " This album is our first album, and Vertigo is our first single."

We understand quickly, listening religiously to the 12 new songs, what the charismatic Irish singer means. The choice of Steve Lillywhite, producer of the three first U2 albums-- who will celebrate their 25 years of career (without a change in the staff: a record for such a important band!)--, is not innocent. U2 rediscovers, with HTDAAB, the fever, the sparks and the sounds of Boy, War, and even The Unforgettable Fire. The Edge and Bono have even said: this is their first rock n'roll album. And rock is guitars at the forefront. We could add: some slow numbers, some love songs, and a rumbling bass.

The new U2 is pure U2, good U2, that does not innovate but delivers a sort of gathering of all sounds, vocal pirouettes, guitar riffs and synthetic layers which the band has gotten us used to. The list of additional producers is eloquent: Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois, Chris Thomas, Flood, Nellee Hooper and Jacknife Lee. All that for a huge sound which will be a big hit on the 5.1. installations.

But where we were expecting more of an alternative rock sound ( like Vertigo), we are surprised by the important quantity of slower tunes and ballads. The guaranteed hit is SYCMOYO, which will be the second single, with a video (which we have seen) where the band plays the song in a garage. Simply, like in the good old days. We often touch upon the atmospheres of WOWY or Pride ( but without ever reaching them), with a romantic Bono with a voice more angelic than ever.

Fast Cars, the last piece, different from the rest with its political tone and strong melody, will be found only on the limited edition.

An album assured of great success. Prepare you wallet... or you hard drive!"

Thanks.

First mention that SYCMIOYO will be the second single.

I wonder if the 'garage' video is the offical one or just the one that will be included in the album DVD.

I don't know if all the info in that article can be taken as 100% official. Like many other journalist, this one might be interpreting things the wrong way, or repeating rumors. Like the fact that Fast Cars will be on the limited edition... it would make sense but I wouldn't count on that for sure.

I think the 'video' they talked about might just be a shooting of the band playing the song, which doesn't mean it will be THE video.

Hmmm, a slightly disturbing sentence jumped out from that article; that while emulating WoWY & Pride, these new songs don't reach the same heights as their predecessors.
Oh shit, I'm so excited about the prospect of some truly classic, truly U2 songs. Is this a warning that my expectations are too high?

No problem! Always a pleasure.

Kiwilad, don't worry. All these reviews are from people who have heard the album ONCE, in a strange environment. None of them, whether they're all good or all bad, can possibly be valid representations of the album. The reviewers can only rely on first impressions. I'm not saying we should expect the intensity of WOWY or Pride ( I don't even know if that's humanly possible...), but I don't think only one listen of those song ( or any other U2 classic) could tell anyone of their real depth...

Have you ever listed to a U2 record once and thought any of it matched WOWY or Pride? No, you haven't. On the 5th or 6th or 60th listen you realise how great the songs are.

Yes yes yes, of course you are right!

Ahh, faith restored.

But I will say that one sure way to to suck intensity out of a song is to overproduce it. I think Kite is an amazing song that was criminally overproduced. ATYCLB, if it has one major fault, is overproduced IMO. Old U2 songs weren't, and even Achtung Baby retained a raw element. If this album is overdone then I can't see it reaching the heights U2 is capable of.

That said, this is all just speculation of course, there is still 4 weeks to wait before we know for sure. At worst this will be a very good album, and at best ... who can say?

How was Kite overproduced? Everything there fits perfect, acoustic, keys, electric guitar, bass and drums. 2nd electric comes in on the chorus, and Edge vocal, but the song is very sparse.

I think Kite just gets too big too soon, it begins with so much going on that there is not much else to add. Yes, another guitar comes in, and backing vocals etc, but the rhythym section barely changes. The drums and bass start out very strongly for what is essentially a ballad.
Contrast this to say One, and you see what I mean. One begins with no drums or bass, and builds alot more as it goes on. Kite starts far too close to its destination. I'm aware of how popular it is, and I may be the only one with my opinion, and thats fine.
I just hope there are some classic U2 dynamics in this album, reminiscent of Streets, One, One Tree Hill etc.

don't forget, alot of reviews gave Achtung Baby a 7 or an 8 out of 10 when it first came out, so I would let your own ears judge the music and let these reviews simply guide you not decide for you.

People still worried about that portugese "review"? It was just a rehash of what the NME wrote but with some "weak chorus"remarks to be critical. I didn't get Achtung Baby and Zooropa on first listen at all (only The Joshua Tree was for me at first listen magic) so saying thinks like "weak chorus"after just on listen is a bit silly and not to be taken to seriously. I never read anywhere that "miracle drug"has a crappy chorus. Ah those silly portugese. Nice girls though.

Back
Top Bottom