Trailer for a Christian Rock documentary uses U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacemaker

Refugee
Bleed Into One

Ok, so I'll make this brief, if anyone cares. I'll stay away from how I feel about this movie (Do I feel good about? Does it piss me off? You'll never know!).

The filmmakers are pretty blatantly using (and promoting their movie with) U2, specifically Bono and the Edge (from their interview on Dave Stewart's show, I think?) within the context of Christian Rock. This angers me, since U2 are not a Christian Rock band. They are a band of four individuals, some of whom happen to be, or have been, Christians. Even during the October era, I doubt U2 would have wanted to be associated with or branded as Christian Rock.

It's fairly infuriating to me that, much like movie reviews, the snippets from the interview featuring Bono and the Edge are taken completely out of context, while another musician/artist/somebody is talking about Bono performing live and getting teary eyed at the thought of him giving himself to God during a performance (<- which is a paraphrase and assumption based on the editing of this trailer, which may not make me any better than the filmmakers).

Anyway, I just wanted to open a discussion about this, if anyone's interested. Forgive me if I posted in the wrong section, I pretty much only visit here and Where The Album... Also forgive me if this is a lockable thread.

Well no U2 are not a "Christian Rock band" in the normal vein of that subgenre, they don't write blatant religious songs or headline Christian events, but there is a lot of Christian influence over their music throughout the years, thematically and lyrically (but Bono is much more subtle than "Christian rockers", whether that is consciously shying away from it as a means to stay mainstream or being able to artistically write songs that can mean more to different people) and that is a very openly seen fact about them. The values they stand for and promote also are in line with Christianity, but are also used as more universal calls for human rights.

To get angry over that is a bit silly to me. Christianity is a prevailing theme in their music. Hell, even Vertigo has the whole Jesus/temptation thing in it.

Bono recited a psalm before Streets during Elevation tour and during the SB XXXVI performance.

They are as close as a mainstream act gets to Christian Rock without actually being Christian rock.

Ok, I'll weigh in here. If you are telling the story of christian rock then like it or not U2 are part of the story. Not in the sense that they are a christian rock band but through not only their rejection of the subculture and its rejection of them but in the fact that whether the powers that be in christian rock liked it or not a very large majority of christian rock acts look to U2 as their main influences and look up to them as heroes of a sort for having the courage to stay out of the christian music ghetto. A good majority of the christian bands that have crossed over to the mainstream are heavily inspired by U2 and I'm not just talking about musically but in the way they have lived their faith without apology in the heart of mainstream music industry. You may not realize it but Bono is very close to a good number of christian artists and especially since 2002 has been specifically reaching out more and more to the church culture for his activism and that was kicked off by him reaching out to the christian music community. He met with several christian artists in Nashville before he did the Heart of America tour with Ashley Judd and others and he recorded a video message that was broadcast at many christian music festivals that year.

While it is true that the specific clips of Bono from "Off the Record" are taken out of context I can see why they used them. They may not have been able to find or get rights to use other sources in which Bono was actually talking about christian music but the way the clips are used actually is pretty in line with comments that Bono has made about christian music and some christian musicians. In other words, wrong source but legitmate idea.

The first mention of Bono and U2 is obviously that artists reaction to Bono's performance and is perfectly legitimate as that is how he interpreted what he was seeing. He is not far off anyway because Bono says quite openly that all U2 songs are prayers in his mind, even the angry ones. He has also talked about that first school performance where he sang Peter Frampton's "Show Me the Way" and said that he sang that song as a prayer because he was going through some really intense stuff and feeling like he had no direction. You could say that the performance of that song "showed him the way" and he hasn't looked back since.

So like it or not U2 is a part of the christian rock story and leaving them out of a movie about that story would be like almost like leaving Elvis out of the story of Rock and Roll.

Dana

I don't understand why you'd be so infuriated by it. U2 have been a huge influence in the Christian rock scene. There is no doubt that their faith plays a big part in their music, but it's one of many facets to their work, and when they do bring it up they're usually not as overt about is as your stereotypical "Christian Rock" band.

Just because they're not exclusively a "Christian Rock" band shouldn't make them off limits to those wishing to discuss Christian Rock. :shrug:

I don't understand why you'd be so infuriated by it. U2 have been a huge influence in the Christian rock scene. There is no doubt that their faith plays a big part in their music, but it's one of many facets to their work, and when they do bring it up they're usually not as overt about is as your stereotypical "Christian Rock" band.

Just because they're not exclusively a "Christian Rock" band shouldn't make them off limits to those wishing to discuss Christian Rock. :shrug:

Agreed. I work at a small Christian college and U2 are HUGE here. Everyone listens to U2, Caedmons Call, U2, Newsboys, Jars of Clay, U2....you get the picture. U2 are big part of the Christian music scene whether they intended to be or not.

As a Christian who listens to all kinds of music, I would say that it is practically impossible to have any kind of discussion about Christian music and not include U2. So much of the stuff that comes out of the Christian bands is heavily influenced by U2 that it's incredible.

As well, I daresay that most of U2's songs are more... spiritual than that of a huge majority of Christian artists. Songs like 40, Gloria and Wake Up Dead Man are much closer to the heart of true Christianity than a lot of the stuff that's out there.

Admittedly, the quotes from Off the Record are taken out of context, but that being said, as rihannsu said earlier they are pretty much in line with what the band has said in the past. And, of course, Bono reciting psalms before Streets comes to mind.

Also, did anyone else find it funny that of all pictures to use of U2, they used the bogan/homeless one from the Joshua Tree?

u2 didn't start out as a christian rock band but we're grafted in by default.

i don't think it a coincidence that death metal band fans usually are not u2 fans.

u2 comes from a place of goodness, barbaric music comes from elsewhere.

dbs

On another note, hardcore christian rock fans are a funny breed... There are those(and believe me I've had the debates) that claim U2 sold out after R&H. Then there are those(even in this forum) that claim U2 aren't really christians, yet they describe their music as sounding too much like christian rock these days in order to insult the last two albums... :shrug: Go figure...

i don't think it a coincidence that death metal band fans usually are not u2 fans.

I'm not sure what you meant by this... Of course hardcore "death metal" fans wouldn't be attracted to U2's music, but to suggest that all "death metal" fans aren't christian is false. "Death Metal" is just a label(like all music labels), there are christian bands that some would place under the "death metal" label...

Um...

I think you made yourself pretty clear how you feel about it... :lol:

You always think you're a clever one. But you're wrong. I never made any suggestions as to how I feel about the movie. My original post explains how the heavy and manipulative use of U2 in the trailer for this movie makes me mad.

Everyone seems to be kind of missing the point of my post and thus, the source of my anger. I understand that U2 and Christian Rock sometimes run in the same circles. And while I have my opinions on Christian Rock, I've disregarded them here. I was pointing out the fact that the trailer is misleading and uses quotes taken out of context, to fit the overall message of the trailer, and possibly the movie. I know, I know. Every movie trailer stitches scenes together, completely disregarding context. I was merely conveying that, to me, it looks as though the filmmakers are exploiting footage of Bono and the Edge to fit the message of their movie, and that is what upset me, and that's what I was opening up for potential conversation.

I apologize for not being completely clear. I did not intend for this thread to become a "Are U2 Christian Rock Or Not?" thread. Because the simple answer is, "No. They aren't." I also have to admit that I was fairly upset after seeing this trailer, and for whatever reason was compelled to make a new post about it (something I rarely do around here).

Well, sure they sing about their religion but not in that pathetic way that all those real christian band does. Bono does it via hidden messages just like Marley did about drugs.
Sometimes it might be a bit distrbing on shows like on the Boston dvd on the beginning on the streets. But I can live with that, that show is still from a country who have the brainwashed sign on the dollar note "in god we trust".

I watched this trailer. What I found really annoying was that, while all the other people were obviously talking directly about Christianity and religion in music, the Bono comments from the HBO interview were totally taken out of context. At least they should have made it clear that he was in fact making fun of those who say "God is using me this or that way". It becomes very clear by the way he's saying it, still they edited it in a way that looks like HE is saying it about himself. Man, I don't like that. And somehow I'm not sure U2 would be very happy about being included in this documentary. Seems like the filmmakers were looking for some really big names to draw attention to this film.

You always think you're a clever one. But you're wrong. I never made any suggestions as to how I feel about the movie. My original post explains how the heavy and manipulative use of U2 in the trailer for this movie makes me mad.

Everyone seems to be kind of missing the point of my post and thus, the source of my anger. I understand that U2 and Christian Rock sometimes run in the same circles. And while I have my opinions on Christian Rock, I've disregarded them here. I was pointing out the fact that the trailer is misleading and uses quotes taken out of context, to fit the overall message of the trailer, and possibly the movie. I know, I know. Every movie trailer stitches scenes together, completely disregarding context. I was merely conveying that, to me, it looks as though the filmmakers are exploiting footage of Bono and the Edge to fit the message of their movie, and that is what upset me, and that's what I was opening up for potential conversation.

I apologize for not being completely clear. I did not intend for this thread to become a "Are U2 Christian Rock Or Not?" thread. Because the simple answer is, "No. They aren't." I also have to admit that I was fairly upset after seeing this trailer, and for whatever reason was compelled to make a new post about it (something I rarely do around here).

Well, I still think you're kind of overreacting a little. Overall there is really very little of Bono and U2 in the trailer and the way it is interspersed with everything else makes it barely noticeble to people who aren't major U2 nuts. I was actually kind of puzzled at your impression of them using U2 to promote their film because I've seen much more blatant heavyhanded uses of U2 and Bono mentions to promote things. I don't see what's in there as out of line considering the major influence that U2 has on Christian Rock.

Dana

i've thought a couple of times U2 are probably the biggest Christian Rock band in the world. Not in the crazy "OH MY GOD JESUS I LOVE YOU SO MUCH" slow power ballads that last 10 minutes while everyone in the arena holds their hands aloft and whispers to themselves with their eyes shut kind of way. But a song like Vertigo reaching number 1 and a lot of U2's lyrics, especially October makes me think they are.

Bono has regularly had taped messages played at Christian music festivals like Cornerstone and Creation. They aren't the typical Christian Rock Band, but then again neither is switchfoot. But they both play songs that are Christian in nature and are fantastic as well. I don't think you can honestly read U2 lyrics, interviews or books and not see that they (3/4 at least) are pretty much o.k. with making Christian themed music in their own way. The fact that they aren't stuck in the nashville rut is what makes them more accessible. They are the C.S. Lewis of music.

Bono does it via hidden messages just like Marley did about drugs.

I waited patiently for the Lord
He inclined and heard my cry
He lifted me up out of the pit
Out of the miry clay
I will sing, sing a new song

--

I try to speak up
But only in you
I'm complete

Gloria, in te domine
Gloria, exultate
Oh Lord, if I had anything
Anything at all
I'd give it to you

--

Jesus, Jesus help me
I'm alone in this world
And a fucked up world it is too

--

Take this city
If it be your will
What no man can own
No man can take
Take this heart
and make it break.

--

Yes, totally hidden messages. :wink:

"Your not making christianty better YOUR MAKING ROCK WORSE!"

HAHAHAHAHA!

That sums it up!

I waited patiently for the Lord
He inclined and heard my cry
He lifted me up out of the pit
Out of the miry clay
I will sing, sing a new song

--

I try to speak up
But only in you
I'm complete

Gloria, in te domine
Gloria, exultate
Oh Lord, if I had anything
Anything at all
I'd give it to you

--

Jesus, Jesus help me
I'm alone in this world
And a fucked up world it is too

--

Take this city
If it be your will
What no man can own
No man can take
Take this heart
and make it break.

--

Yes, totally hidden messages. :wink:

Even Bono can exaggerate :)

This looks pretty interesting in my opinion. I think in the small clips Bono comes off looking pretty cool. I've always got the sense that the guys in U2 find the idea of Christian Rock and to an extent organized religion as a joke. Bono seems to be mocking the idea of what a Christian Rock band is "supposed to be" in that one clip. If that's the case I think he's right. If as a Chrsitian rock band you're of the opinion that your sole purpose is to glorify God than your music is empty and souless before it's even writen in my opinion. Nothing is worse than people making music they think they have to make. The people who condem a "Christian band" for not glorifying God in all their songs are idiots. The one guy's comment about the JPM's was hilarious and I like the other guy's comment about not needing anymore Christians singing about Christian things but singing about all kinds of things. "Christian Rock" comes of as robotic and fake. A band of Chrsitians can make good music.

Back
Top Bottom