Trailer for a Christian Rock documentary uses U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The people who condem a "Christian band" for not glorifying God in all their songs are idiots. The one guy's comment about the JPM's was hilarious and I like the other guy's comment about not needing anymore Christians singing about Christian things but singing about all kinds of things. "Christian Rock" comes of as robotic and fake. A band of Chrsitians can make good music.

I fight this battle all the time with Christian friends. I have grown up in the church, and been around christian music my entire life. I can count the "christian" cd's i own on one hand. To wrap it up into a neat little christian cliche, "all truth is God's truth." it doesn't have to be a straight from the bible song, to be christian. I find lots of songs that have nothing to do with blatant spiritual themes, by many different artists (most who are not Christian) to be the music that I see God in more than many others. Or maybe its I just see almost all songs as having a spiritual message.

I find Radiohead's "fitter happier" interlude, to be like the prophet Isaiah talking directly to this generation. Or the song "inside of love" by nada surf to be the longing for what we were created for. Or Tool's "Wings for Marie" to be the questioning of suffering, and to be quite moving to me. I am probably greatly in the minority here, but God is talking to me through all kinds of music and most of its not "christian".

I don't really understand the (highjacked) debate about U2 being "Christian Rock" (whatever that is) or not. It's like arguing if Bob Dylan was "folk-rock" in 1965, or if my dad could beat up yours. U2 are U2; end of story -- what label someone wants to slap on them is completely irrelevant.

As for Bono and Edge's comments being co-opted in the trailer, I can understand where the original poster is coming from, but... I dunno, is it anything new? Every single time we see Bono on VH1/MTV/MuchMusic/BBC/CNN et al, his image and persona are being edited and broadcast. It's not really any different to me.

(Does Adam have any say in U2 being "Christian-Rock" since he's always been in the band and has never been a Christian?)

Well, sure they sing about their religion but not in that pathetic way that all those real christian band does. Bono does it via hidden messages just like Marley did about drugs.
Sometimes it might be a bit distrbing on shows like on the Boston dvd on the beginning on the streets. But I can live with that, that show is still from a country who have the brainwashed sign on the dollar note "in god we trust".

There's hope for us all, it only took Sweden 500 years to break the ties between Church and State.

I don't think U2 ever called themselves a Christian Rock band or felt they were part of that group but it's undoubt that at least 3 of them, certainly Bono, are men of faith and of a certain level of spirituality. Bono flat out says that he's a believer, a man of faith in God and all of that, he also says he doesn't really believe in religion much I think and that he feels it gets on the way to God. Still I think U2 fits on that documentary wether they call themselves a Christaian Rock band or not simply because they are believers. The documentary actually seems interesting and honest. I doubt that they are using Bono's image with his permission.

Back
Top Bottom