Tracks 1 - 6 HTDAAB v AB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matt76

Acrobat
hmmm, surely there is no contest, should be AB, or should it...

Zoo station v Vertigo = Zoo Station (1-0)
Even Better v MD = tough!! draw (1-0)
One v SYCMIOYO = for me and I'm gonna get panned for this = draw (1-0)
Until the end v LAPOE = Until the end (2-0)
Who's gonna v City of... = draw (2-0)
Your so cruel v ABOY = Your so cruel (3-0)

So AB wins easily I think....even with my crazy scoring system!

1. Vertigo does it for me Zoostation is one of the weaker tracks on Achtung Baby
2. Draw...both amazing songs cant chose between them
3. Draw....both classics cant chose between them
4. Until The End Of The World...amazing album and live track one of my all time favourites
5. City Of Blinding Lights is better then the album version of Horses...if it was the temple bar mix it would be a lot tougher choice.
6. So Cruel....most under rated song on Achtung Baby and just a brilliant track

So therefore I have it as a dead even draw....pretty amazing considering I didnt think anything could ever beat Achtung Baby for me.

I can see the post comparing HTDAAB to ATYCLB because U2 is in this sort of "phase" right now, but I find no way to compare different phases. How can you compare HTDAAB where U2 is going back to the basics to an album where U2 wanted to destroy the basic things that made them great? They're too different IMO to compare this way.

Your joking right.......1-6 Achtung Baby pisses all over the new stuff! Jesus even the b-sides from 91-92 (satellite of love, Salome, Where did it all go wrong) pisses all over the new stuff!:huh:

rjhbonovox said:
Your joking right.......1-6 Achtung Baby pisses all over the new stuff! Jesus even the b-sides from 91-92 (satellite of love, Salome, Where did it all go wrong) pisses all over the new stuff!:huh:

I would have thought the same, well maybe not "pisses all over" but certainly better as it is my favorite album of all time. But when I rate the songs from the first half of both albums, they end up about the same. Second half of AB is better and the album flows better overall, so I still go with AB (then JT).

rjhbonovox said:

Wrong!

Vertigo
Even Better
Tied at end of regulation, One squeaks out in OT
Until the End of the World
City of Blinding (though i agree about Who's Going to Ride Temple Bar)
All Because of You

you didn't ask, but 7-11/12
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
One Step Closer (easy! over trying to through your arms)
Draw (Original of the Species and Ultraviolet are just totally different beasts)
Acrobat (I'm giving this a "bye week" so i can match album closers
Yahweh (Love is blindness is great, but yahweh is such a beautiful prayer).

Achtung Baby does kick HTDAAB's ass.
It's a tie between Zoo Station and Vertigo.
Miracle Drug
One
Until the End of the World
City of Blinding Lights
All Because of You
The Fly
Crumbs From Your Table
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around the World
Ultra Violet(Light My Way)
Acrobat
Love is Blindness

rjhbonovox said:

If only U2 could continue to write songs as great as:

Zoo Station,
WGRYWH,
Mysterious Ways,
TTTYAATW,
Ultra Violet.

Unlike the current radio friendly dross...

I fear those days are gone forever. :sad: :sad:

1. Zoo Station vs Ipod jingle = ZOO
2. EBTTRT vs MD = MD
3. One vs Sometimes... = ha ha
4. UTEOTW vs LAPOE = UTEOTW (close one here)
5. WGRYWH vs COBL = COBL
6. So Cruel vs ABOY = So Cruel (another close one)

Hey, I like Achtung! twice as much as HTDAAB. (4-2) I thought it might turn out this way

It's hard, we haven't seen any live show of HTDAAB..... the song develop something else live..... but just the album version:

1. Vertigo

2. MD

3. One

4. Until the end.....

5. WGRYWH

6. So Cruel

7. The Fly

8. Mysterious ways

9. TTTYAATW

10. Ultra violet

11. Acrobat

12. Love is blindness....

10-2 damn.... AB is my favourite album ever, but i didn't think HTDAAB would get killed!!!!

I like it though......

"Take this mouth, give it a kiss..."

Achtung vs Sgt Peppers is more fair although i think HTDAAB is class

people will create anything.... just to get abit more negativity about the new album,

Oh, these vs. threads are SO much fun.

1. Vertigo beats ZS handily. It's a much more complete song
2. MD defeats EBTTRT. I like it's songwriting and gorgeousness better.
3. One defeats SYCMIOYO barely. Both very moving songs, but One goes a little deeper into the heart of humanity.
4. UTEOTW beats LAPOE. This is a close call, too. 'World' just comes together a little better IMO.
5. COBL takes down WGRYWH. It's a helluva alot more timeless sounding and Edge's ascending guitar figure behind the chorus is better than any of his support work on 'Horses'. Although the intro to 'Horses' is outstanding it's not a substantive part of the song.
6. SC beats ABOY barely. SC is a masterwork of bitterness. I'm not sure ABOY is a masterwork of anything. It's a strong song , nonetheless.

3-3 is the final score! Guess I'm gonna need some sort of tiebreaker.

- Vertigo
- MD
- One
- UTEOTW
- WGRYWH
- So Cruel
- The Fly
- Crumbs
- OSC
- Original
- Yahweh

HTDAAB wins 6-5 (thought I would never say this!!!!)

Layton said:

3. One defeats SYCMIOYO barely. Both very moving songs, but One goes a little deeper into the heart of humanity.
4. UTEOTW beats LAPOE. This is a close call, too. 'World' just comes together a little better IMO.
5. COBL takes down WGRYWH. It's a helluva alot more timeless sounding and Edge's ascending guitar figure behind the chorus is better than any of his support work on 'Horses'. Although the intro to 'Horses' is outstanding it's not a substantive part of the song.
6. SC beats ABOY barely. SC is a masterwork of bitterness. I'm not sure ABOY is a masterwork of anything. It's a strong song , nonetheless.

Hehehe for a mnute I thought you might be serious. Good joke Vertigo beats Zoo Station hehehe and then Miracle Drug Beats Even better than the real thing hehehe, but what finally made me twig to your MADDDDDDDD sense of humour was COBL(the mono mix) beating Who's gonna ride your wild horses. You guys on here are so humorous, you kill me you really do.:wink:

whasjoewahn said:
- Vertigo
- MD
- One
- UTEOTW
- WGRYWH
- So Cruel
- The Fly
- Crumbs
- OSC
- Original
- Yahweh

Jesus you have an EVEN BIGGER sense of humour!:huh:

whasjoewahn said:
- Vertigo
- MD
- One
- UTEOTW
- WGRYWH
- So Cruel
- The Fly
- Crumbs
- OSC
- Original
- Yahweh

Sorry, forgot to mention Acrobat:huh:
So, including Fast Cars it would be a tie

not only does this guy (rjhbonovox) bash htdaab, but also insults others for posting their OPINIONS! what an ass!

back on topic: ab>htdaab

I LOVE AB. since i heard it first time but i have to say it now when i putt booth cd in my stereo i pass some songs on AB and i don't do it with the new one. have any meaning?

joaoricardo said:
I LOVE AB. since i heard it first time but i have to say it now when i putt booth cd in my stereo i pass some songs on AB and i don't do it with the new one. have any meaning?

Yep you have lousy musical taste!:wink:

Yep you have lousy musical taste!

i laugh with that one.
but anyway i think you need some education about respecting other ideas and tastes, but i am shore you just a kid so it will come with age. now serious AB have some really genius songs but as a all i think this one is stronger.

the sad thing is, he is probalby older than you think, but he sure doesn't act like it here. it's one thing to disagree with another fan and be respectful, but to go out of your way to disrespect them for liking one album over another is just sad. rjhbonovox is a clear example of this.

i just think we have to understand and suport this poor guys, it seems they don´t have a life, they spend their time putting here the most absurd Threads, they just have us, we have to be more friendly, i say i confess, i am guilty for make fun of most threads here and for not give any importance to them, i was wrong these need us, we have to help them even if there threads are bulls.

Layton said:

:yes:

TCUFrog said:
the sad thing is, he is probalby older than you think, but he sure doesn't act like it here. it's one thing to disagree with another fan and be respectful, but to go out of your way to disrespect them for liking one album over another is just sad. rjhbonovox is a clear example of this.

By the way I am 35 but my sense of humour is obviously to much for you guys. I just feel that this whole thread is ridiculous. How in the hell you can compare probably one of the greatest albums ever made(AB) to their latest effort is beyond me. But I suppose if you lived thru the time when that album was being made and released (1991) you would understand where I am coming from.

The band that made that album has definetly different views now, than back then. They are virtually 2 different bands. When they went in to make Achtung Baby they couldn't give a fuc# about being the biggest band in the world, and now it seems that is all there obsessed with. A quote from 1991 about "The Fly" when it was released, Bono "To me it sounds like 4 guys chopping down the Joshua Tree", which had made them the biggest band in the world and they just wanted rid of that label. The Fly was the furthest you could get from being a commercial single and that was why it was released. Now fast forward to what happened a year ago when they met to discuss the Chris Thomas material. The first thing that was said is "We don't have a first big hit single". What does that tell you about the mindset of U2 now. They are making music not for themselves but to please the chart buying public, to keep them the biggest band in the world. An obession that is slowly turning them into a parody of themselves, and a band that is slowly losing its way.

That is why I can't help mocking this thread.

Back
Top Bottom