Top 3 U2 songs that SHOULDN'T have been singles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rafiennes

Refugee
I'm gonna go with:

Last Night On Earth
When Love Comes To Town
Please

all great songs, but I think that

Gone
God Part II
Do You feel Loved

would have been better choices in their place

"Lemon" should not have been a single. A song that is seven minutes long on the album, and cut down to 4 minutes or so should not have happened in my opinion. I think Dirty Day or even Daddy's gonna pay for your Crashed Car would have been better.

Also, I agree. Gone should have been a single.

lemon
numb
if god will send his angels
stuck in a moment

and i think that LNOE is a great single.

1.) "PLEASE": It's a GREAT song, one of my favs. However, I can't help but think that either "Do You Feel Loved?" or "Gone" would've done a LOT better (although, the single version of "Please" is vastly superior to the album version, imo, so I guess I can let this one slide, as I am very thankful for that version).

2.) "STUCK IN A MOMENT...": While this is a great song (definately one of the more powerful songs on "ALTYCLB"), I believe that "Kite" or "In A Little While" would've been better singles (of course, I can't imagine hearing a song as emotional as "Kite" being played next to the most generic American mainstream music).

3.) "LEMON": Once again, another one of my favorite U2 songs. However, as with the songs mentioned above, I think there are plenty of more commercial songs off "Zooropa" than this wacky number (ex. "Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car," "Somedays are Better Than Others"). Then again, maybe that was the whole point (releasing the more obscure and odd tracks as singles). "Zooropa" was a pretty weird album altogether, and perhaps the band just felt like releasing the odd, funky tunes as singles instead of the more commercial ones (as Bono said, somebody needed to "f*%$ up the mainstream").

Okay, I guess that's it. God Bless :)

1. discotehque
2. when love comes to town
3. lemon

should have been:

gone
god part 2
some days are better than others (one of the best summer songs ever!) :yes:

First off, what constitutes a good single?

In my opinion, a good single is a single that does it's job. What is a single's job? To sell the album. I don't really feel anyway about singles. If a song I like happens to be a single, great. But I think that "Stuck in a moment" was a great single, because it was really popular and really pushed the album. All the singles from ATYCLB were very well chosen, and highly successful. Here is my never-should've-been list.

1. Discotheque- Totally killed people's image of U2, and their perception of POP
2. Lemon= Too much like Prince
3. Please- Just not a radio friendly song

REPLACE WITH
1. Gone
2. Some day are better than others
3. Do you feel loved

YEAH

The_acrobat said:

1. Discotheque- Totally killed people's image of U2, and their perception of POP

That did happen. I just didn't want to be the one to say it :reject: LNOE video was scary too :reject: Really, SATS was the only radio friendly song from Pop, the only one I ever remember hearing get airplay. Stay was the best on Zooropa, but Lemon and Numb just didn't work well at the time. On the other hand, Beautiful Day was an awesome launch for ATYCLB, good mood, good song, it got people excited about the album. Brilliant move.:up:

I thought that they didn't release any ATYCLB singles in the US, they were all imports, right? They depended on the album alone and it came through for them big time.

Last edited:
Last Night On Earth is a very great song!!
I think Discotheque should really be replaced... I mean, it?s a great song but I have to agree with you... It killed people?s image about U2... Some people that have never even tried to hear the whole album (POP) continues to say that this a "disco" or a "techno" album. Sorry, but the only "disco song" of POP is Do You Feel Loved and this one, Discotheque. The rest is totally guitar songs.

And, even with that... Dsicotheque is not only a disco song... It?s about drugs and fake love. People should try to understand what the song?s saying instead of only reading the title and ignore the lyrics.

Please, it?s not good to hear on the radio, but U2 was needing a good protest song...

So

Replace Discoteque with Gone!

"Lemon" was a great single. They should've promoted it more.

I never thought that "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" "felt" like a single. "Until the End of the World" or "Ultra Violet" would've been more deserving of the promotion.

Discotheque great song, good single, but HORRIBLE HORRIBLE VIDEO. I think it was a good single though, like I already said.

Lemon shouldn't have been released as a single. The song was just way too arty and I think the song was lost on people.

Please shouldn't have been released as a commercial single. I think it's pretty obvious why it shouldn't have. But then again Sunday Bloody Sunday was released as a single, and that's a pretty serious song.

I like Stuck, but I don't think it was a good single to release. They should have went with more heavier rockin' songs off All That You Can't Blah Blah Blah..

First of all Numb and Lemon were NOT released as singles, not in the UK anyway the only song that was released from "Zooropa" was Stay (Faraway, So Close) which got to No.4 , Also Sunday Bloody Sunday was not a single either. Discotheque in my opinion was a good introduction to "Pop" it gave the band there third No.1 in the UK. Anyway here is my 3 choices.

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Sweetest Thing
Last Night On Earth

necklover said:
First of all Numb and Lemon were NOT released as singles, not in the UK anyway
Well, they got pretty good promotion anyway because of their videos.

my choices:

if god will send his angels
stuck in a moment
numb

songs that would have been better:
gone (everyone's favorite non single)
kite ( it was sorta a single but not really)
dirty day

and i think that last night on earth was a great single. and it so rocks live.

I think this thread is talking mainly about radio/video singles, not the actual single you buy in a store. I know there was never singles for songs like Numb, Lemon or Sunday bloody sunday to buy in the store, but they had sucessful videos and were used to promote the albums. I hear SBS on the classic rock stations at least once a week. It was released to the radio, but just not in any kind of purchasable format. Same thing with Bad.

Please, because I love the song and definitively isn't a song for radio

In God's Country: Running to Stand Still would have been better.

Please: One of my favourite all time U2 songs, but 100% not radio friendly. Do You Feel Loved or Gone, though I think Gone would not have done well (it is also one of my favourite all time U2 songs)

:crazy:Ohh, I am racking my brains for a third but think of any I disagree with.

I think Last Night on Earth is a good single, but I think the album version is better. The single version sounds like Bono is inside a sound proofed phone both.

There is nothing on Zooropa, besides Stay, that could have been a good single except maybe The First Time.

I thought all the ATYCLB singles were great choices. A lot of the album is radio friendly. If they had to choose a fifth, I would choose In a Little While.

Last edited:
1) In God's County---they should have stuck with Red Hill Mining Town, even if it couldn't be sung live.

2) Gone---great song, but it doesn't translate well to radio

3) "Electrical Storm"---looking back I can't believe it got played so much.

Danospano said:
1) In God's County---they should have stuck with Red Hill Mining Town, even if it couldn't be sung live.

2) Gone---great song, but it doesn't translate well to radio

3) "Electrical Storm"---looking back I can't believe it got played so much.

Gone was never released as a single.

I do have to agree about the Electrical Storm, I have always thought that lyrically it is b-side material.

1. When Love Comes To Town - but then this is one of my least favorite U2 songs so I'm a bit biased.

2. Please - I'm like others there in that I love it, but it's not single material. There were so many better choices on Pop.

3. If God Will Send His Angels - Again, this in my opinion is similar to Please; I like the song, but it didn't work well on radio. In fact, I'm not sure I ever heard this one on the radio at all!

Back
Top Bottom