Top 10 Tours for 2001 so far....!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

STING

This is for the first 6 months of 2001!

1. U2 69.6 million
2. Billy Joel and Elton John 57.2 million
3. Backstreet Boys 51.6 million
4. N'Sync 38.7 million
5. Dave Matthews Band 37.7 million
6. AC/DC 18.9 million
7. Eric Clapton 15.3 million
8. Matchbox Twenty 15 million
9. Jimmy Buffet 13.5 million
10.Sting 10.6 million

These figure's are only for North American shows.

You know what is nice to see, yet also very frustrating is that 'nsync and BSB and Dave Matthews aren't selling out ANY of their shows, yet they get NO bad press or backlash. The shit was HEAPED upon U2 during Popmart. And the funny thing is that when you look at the numbers, they are probably doing worse than U2 was.

I think I have seen one sellout for 'nsync for the whole tour. U2 had about 75% sellout on their first leg. 'nsync is traveling with not one but several other "hot" teen groups for their tour. U2 traveled with one, usually not so hot group on Popmart.
smile.gif
And as I've stated earlier, there are probably about 15 to 25% of the tickets at the 'nsync concert going to parents of the people who actually want to see the concert.

The story is even worse for the Backstreet Boys. They aren't even selling out arenas and they Shaggy opening for them.

DMB is doing pretty well, but not anywhere close to their past tours.

I don't see why they are free to go on tour and play to empty seats, but U2 is put through the coals for it.

Your right about N'SYNCH an DAVE womenfish. These Two tours will most likely not match POPMART. Dave definitely will not unless he adds more shows in the fall. But this will be offset by U2s own fall tour. N'SYNCH has a slight chance, but the weaker selling shows are coming up in August so I doubt it. Again, a U2 fall tour will prevent N'SYNCH from getting to the top.
Another interesting thing will be to watch the first week numbers for N'SYNCHs new album. Sure the number will still be huge, but I think it will only be a fraction of the 2.4 million they sold last year. I'm thinking more like 600,000 for the new one. Just more of a sign that we may see the end of this boy band era soon.
With a return to North American Arena's this fall, U2s Elevation tour will become the 4th highest Grossing tour ever in North American History. It will also be the highest Grossing Arena tour ever!

Originally posted by STING:

With a return to North American Arena's this fall, U2s Elevation tour will become the 4th highest Grossing tour ever in North American History. It will also be the highest Grossing Arena tour ever!

which are the first three?

Here are the top 3 Grossing tours ever in North America:

1. Rolling Stones: Bridges To Babylon 1997,1998,1999 Don't have the full Gross for this one but know they hit 120 million in 1998. They came back for an Arena tour in early 1999 selling out arena's with some tix priced at $300.

2. Eagles: Reunion Tour 1994,1995,1996 They played well over 100 shows and GROSSED 140 million!

3. Rolling Stones Vodoo Lounge Tour 1994
GROSSED 120 million

Right now #4 belongs to Pink Floyd with 103.5 million GROSSED from 59 Stadium shows in 1994. I think U2 will easily pass this mark this year if they play at least 25 arena shows this fall! U2 ELEVATION has so far GROSSED 69,910,000 in North America from 50 shows.

Back
Top Bottom