TOP 10 ALBUMS OF THE YEAR WORLDWIDE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

STING

The year being October/November 2000 to the end of August 2001. I got these totals by combining figures from RIAA(USA) CRIA(Canada) and IFPI(Europe) which represent 75% of the Global music market. The other 25% had to be estimated unless more info was available.

1. Beatles (1) 21 million
2. Limp Bizkit (Chocolate.....) 10.5 million
3. U2 (ATYCLB) 9.76 million
4. Dido (No Angel) 9.7 million
5. Backstreet Boys (Black & Blue) 9.5 million
6. Madonna (Music) 9.3 million
7. Shaggy (Hotshot) 9 million
8. N'Sync (Celebrity) 6.5 million
9. Enya (A Day Without Rain) 6 million
10. Lenny Kravitz (Greatest Hits) 5.5 million

With 3 months to go until December, Limp Bizkit has slumped on most charts world wide and is no longer in the CNN world top 30. Of course U2 is still selling very well and should continue to do so for several more months. Dido is doing even better and will probably overtake U2. Shaggy will be the real winner though as his album is at #1 on the CNN world chart and shows no signs of fading. The bottom half of the top 10 may change in the next 3 months as well, as acts more recently released continue to sell well. The Beatles won the race early in March. U2 will probably be in 4th place at the end of the year with sales close to 11 million. But, #1 ACTIVE Band of the year for worldwide album sales.

I question the N'sync numbers. unless you are talking about the number of albums shipped. Because they have shipped 5 million in the U.S., but have only sold 2.97 million in the U.S. and are now selling fewer than 100,000 copies per week! With their piss poor showing in countries outside the U.S. I find it VERY hard to believe that they have sold 6.5 million to consumers. THis has to be the number shipped right? And I assume since you used RIAA and other agencies like it, that these are number of copies shipped.

Yep,
This is all shipped figures! Over time, most shipment figures fall in line with actual sales, with a few exceptions. The overseas shipment for N'SYNC was 1.5 million. I think most of that was for Canada and Brazil though. Then of course 5 million here in the USA. I think N'SYNC will nab at least 4 million in soundscan sales. The Backstreet Boys are a big question mark. Does anyone have soundscan figures for their latest album? Despite it being shipment figures, I still think it is for the most part accurate with the exception of the Backstreet Boys and maybe N'Sync.

Back
Top Bottom