Too much of a good thing: How to get back on the path of righteousness (db reference)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jesseu2

Refugee
when i saw the word 'righteousness' in yesterdays paper, guess what popped in my head? Diamond. yep.

Too much of a good thing: How to get back on the path of righteousness

Saturday, December 29, 2001

By D. PARVAZ
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

Seattle-PI

This story isn't for the virtuous, who live by that "everything in moderation" motto.

This is for the sinners; those who greet January with extra pounds, heavy debt and vows to never, ever, drink again (they swear).

To err is human, but to keep erring is just plain dumb. Because we love you and want you to repent, or at the very least, get your acts together, we asked three experts to help put you back on the path of right and righteousness in the new year.

Hey, puddin' butt

You enjoyed the holidays, and the waddle in your walk and under your chin stand as proof.

A humble Alka-Seltzer can only do so much, so registered dietitian L. Kathleen Mahan advises that you get to work, lickety-split.

She says you should be using this time before New Year's to start getting back into shape -- even if it means walking just 30 minutes a day. By our count, you've got three days left, so get moving. Getting started now is key: By the time the holidays are truly over, you've already started to make amends, says Mahan, who regularly dispenses advice at Nutrition by Design (www.nutritiondesign.com).

"And don't make any excuses," she says pointedly.

"But," you might whine, "It's the holidays and there's shopping and house guests and all that!"

Again, Mahan shows no mercy.

Wendy Wahman/P-I
"A lot of that has stopped. The gifts have already been unwrapped, Christmas dinner is done and most of the guests are gone. That's when you can get back on track," says Mahan.

Given that New Year's Eve is still in the works, you should know that a drink is a drink is a drink. Don't think you're being good by drinking three glasses of wine instead of a gin and tonic because caloriewise (and alcoholwise), a glass of wine and a mixed drink are pretty much equal.

A drink can be more like a dessert if you mix yours with choice creamy or sugary mixers, so stick with spritzers and diet mixes.

Now, if the food festivities are still in full swing for you, Mahan says there are ways to keep things under control. Sorry dolls, there are no magic fixes here, just common sense.

Tip #1: Watch those portions.

"Don't say no to grandma's fudge because my God, it only comes once a year! Just don't eat half the box," says Mahan. Remember, the first four bites taste better that the 12th bite.

Tip #2: Water, water, water.

"People tend to drink less water because they're too busy to pay attention. They also end up drinking more caffeine than they would've otherwise," she says. She recommends three quarts of water a day.

Tip #3: Eat your vegetables.

"Vegetables take the edge off your appetite and don't have very many calories," says Mahan.

Be merry, not pukey

OK, the obvious answer to how to avoid a hangover is, "Don't drink."

Realistically, that's not going to happen for many adults -- we like feeling no pain when ringing in the New Year. Of course, we have sweet friends as designated drivers who certainly feel everything, especially our gratitude for getting us home safely. Anyway, back to drinking.

Chances are, you've already knocked back one too many, so in the interest of minimizing the damage you plan on unleashing unto your body, we'd like to offer you some advice.

"A good meal before you go out to enjoy some cocktails is always a good idea," says Tim Craft, bartender at the Mecca. "I always laugh when my friends say this, but 'build a good foundation.'"

He's certainly no nutritionist (Mahan, for the record, recommends loads of water), but having tended bar in various Seattle-area establishments since 1980, Craft knows a thing or two about the pain of tying one on.

Craft believes the main thing to do is to avoid those sweet, sugary drinks. And anything that looks curdled.

"Yeah, the younger people are the ones who usually order those drinks, like, the Cement Mixer," says Craft. A Cement Mixer is a shot of Bailey's Irish Cream and Rose's Lime.

"Here," he says, mixing one up.

Almost instantly, the Bailey's curdles and congeals into a chunky, slimy-looking mix.

It looks like what one might belch up while hung over. A similarly foul combination is the Pernod (a licorice liquor) and Pepsi.

"It looks like prune juice," says Craft, wrinkling his nose in disgust.

He never tries to dissuade fools from inflicting serious hangovers on themselves with these drinks.

"I'm not here to guide anyone's drinking experience," he says matter-of-factly. He does, however, recommend drinks upon request.

Craft says that sticking to a certain type of drink is best, but even that, in excess, can be disastrous.

If you overindulge anyway, don't take painkillers. According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, taking aspirin or Tylenol while you're drunk can damage your liver (which clearly has enough to deal with already).

For more information and reasons why you shouldn't drink so dang much, go to www.all-about-hangovers.com

Merry fiscal bleakness!

All right, now you need to sit your broke self down and juggle some numbers.

Jessica Greenway, a Seattle-based personal financial consultant, says that if you have an amount of debt to pay off that is reasonable for your level income, you've got it made.

"The first thing you do is stop accumulating more debt," says Greenway. Then start a disciplined program to pay off your debts. And while you're at it, start a savings account, no matter how little you have left over after paying your bills.

"Make the reasonable payments in on your debts, and save the rest. Your first goal is to reach $500, and then $1,000. Those numbers sound so big for someone who saves just $25 a month, but once you get there, you realize you can do it."

Greenway says most people should have (brace yourselves) $10,000 in a savings or similarly liquid, accessible account.

"From there, you're allowed to go on and make investment decisions, which really involve longer-term commitments," she says.

Those who can't comfortably pay their debts should seek help with a non-profit, credit-counseling agency, such as the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (301-589-5600 or www.nfcc.org/) or Consumer Credit Consultants (800-710-5397 or www.cccusa.org/).

"They might be able to get credit-card payments reduced and maybe help figure out a payment plan," says Greenway.

If you've heard those ads on the radio promising a debt-free life through debt consolidation, know that unless you own a home, they can't help you.

"Those ads that you're hearing are advertising home-equity loans. ... It's a loan against the equity in your home," explains Greenway.

But that doesn't mean you can't do anything about your credit-card bills. First, see if you can transfer the debt from your high-interest credit cards to low-interest ones. If that's not possible, focus on paying off the higher-interest loans first.

If you're also dealing with student loans, take advantage of the lowered interest rates and see if you can consolidate them (contact the U.S. Department of Education at 800-848-0979 or check www.loanconsolidation.ed.gov/ to see if you're eligible). This should lower your monthly payments significantly.

All this might seem impossible, but you can do it. Just don't repeat the same mistakes next year.

"Once all the wrapping paper is put away and it's all over, people tend to think 'Oh, that wasn't really worth it. I just spent too much and now I'm in debt,'" says Greenway. So be sensible and you'll do so much better in the long run.

"There's so much power and satisfaction in being in control of your finances. That's so much more rewarding."

Living within your means equals having the power to spend money on the things that really matter in your life, and that, as the credit-card commercial says, is priceless.

I think the key to righteousness is drinking until you feel righteous. Or surround yourself with HOT (i mean HOT) chicks. Hotties always make you feel right.

bros_banner_med.jpg

Righteous%20Rags%20Golf%20entrance.gif

Originally posted by z edge:
I think the key to righteousness is drinking until you feel righteous. Or surround yourself with HOT (i mean HOT) chicks. Hotties always make you feel right.

that's right man, me too(on the feelin right with hotties surroundin ya).

Vn71720.jpg

biggrin.gif

Jesse this reminds me of a resturaunt/bar/grill that I like to frequent named 'HOOTERS'!
Dude I would have trouble keeping my um "composure" in a situation like that
wink.gif

I may have to go on and call that little 18 year old when my guests leave tonight
eek.gif

l
a
t
e

Z-E69

------------------
U2Oklahoma&
Z
-
E
D