tonight... the moon is playing tricks again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carmanah

The Fly
I'm feeling sea sick again...
and the whole world could just dissolve into a glass of water...

Those lyrics were taken from one of the most enchanting U2 songs of all time, and possibly the best and most underrated track from their album, "Pop". That song being, "If You Wear That Velvet Dress".

I used to be such a big U2 fan through my high school years. It started at the age of 12 when I was introduced to Achtung Baby; developped into a full bloom obsession by the age of 13 and slowed down around the age of 15. I was still enthralled by U2 for years later and I openly admit that I still am, but "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" was one of those songs that captivated me one night, almost by accident.

It was the summer of 97, I believe. My parents decided to go on a family evening out to Kitsilano beach. We parked the car by the tennis courts and walked along the sand during the passive sunset. Friends were playing their last rounds of volleyball while couples strolled happily along the walkway. I fondly remember the smell of the salt water air, the coolness of the twilight breeze, and the sight of the first star of the night sky. It was a beautiful moment etched into my memory.

As we returned to the car, I brought out my discman from under the seat and put "Pop" on random. I would usually skip "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" during my normal listening to the album because for the first minute it was so quiet, you couldn't hear it. Listening to the song through headphones was a different experience, and a beautiful one at that. Bono's voice churned out a whisper, growing into a rough yet gentle croon. Edge's acoustic guitar was so simple, yet captivating, and the guitar solo in the bridge was hauntingly beautiful. Everything about that song's so magical in my mind as it brings to life that summer's evening on Kitsilano Beach. The song is the musical equivalence to an illustration of that night. And because of that, I'll always cherish that song.

(Note: This was a random online journal entry I wrote back in March)

That is really cool. I know what you mean about relating a song to an event.

For me it is a little different. Pop pretty much sums up my first year of high school. I lived and breathed Pop. I cut my hair short like Bono I wore shiney shirts and it was the only album I listened to for 3 straight months. At home it did not leave my cd player for 3 straight months and I did not have a cd changer. When I look back that was pretty much my life. I know that is kind of sad but it was the first album I really loved.

Carmanah said:
Edge's acoustic guitar was so simple, yet captivating, and the guitar solo in the bridge was hauntingly beautiful.

That's my favorite part of the song, it just takes me away. One of the best songs, though there are so many!

Carmanah...that was a beautiful post, and beautifully put how the song touched you in a moment when your senses were wide awake to receive the full extent of the song and the mesmorizing beauty it holds within its lyrical and rhythmic interpretation that truly is a gem on Pop.

Chris

Carmanah said:
As we returned to the car, I brought out my discman from under the seat and put "Pop" on random. I would usually skip "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" during my normal listening to the album because for the first minute it was so quiet, you couldn't hear it. Listening to the song through headphones was a different experience, and a beautiful one at that. Bono's voice churned out a whisper, growing into a rough yet gentle croon. Edge's acoustic guitar was so simple, yet captivating, and the guitar solo in the bridge was hauntingly beautiful. Everything about that song's so magical in my mind as it brings to life that summer's evening on Kitsilano Beach. The song is the musical equivalence to an illustration of that night. And because of that, I'll always cherish that song.

Beautifully put Carmanah :up:

Beautiful song, indeed. I love when Bono whispers in Spanish, "vamos", before he starts to sing the first line, pay attention to that bit. Talking about sensuality...:drool:

I know I?m repeating myself, but it?s inevitable after 2 years taking part on this board, LOL

Re: Re: tonight... the moon is playing tricks again...

follower said:

Beautifully put Carmanah :up:

Beautiful song, indeed. I love when Bono whispers in Spanish, "vamos", before he starts to sing the first line, pay attention to that bit. Talking about sensuality...:drool:

I know I?m repeating myself, but it?s inevitable after 2 years taking part on this board, LOL

I never knew that!

*runs to listen again

Thanks Carmanah for bringing up this gorgeous gem of a song!

Re: Re: Re: tonight... the moon is playing tricks again...

oliveu2cm said:

I never knew that!

*runs to listen again

Thanks Carmanah for bringing up this gorgeous gem of a song!

So prepare yourself to :drool: :drool: :drool:

Put your earphones on. Works better. :D

:sexywink:

Wow... thanks for all the feedback everyone! I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who really feels this way about this song...

I'll listen to it right now for the "vamos" part. Call me ignorant, but while I do know French (which sometimes shares the root words with the Spanish language), I don't really know the direct translation of the Spanish word "vamos"... a quick trip to altavista.com translated it to "we go" - although I don't see how that indicates anything sensual, unless that's the wrong translation. I know how languages and translators can be. In French, go is "va"... so the root word is kind of there. But an explanation please? :)

Also, about hidden words in songs... I always find little whispers, coughs and noises here and there... from the obvious "Achtung Baby!" in The Fly, to other sensual things here and there. ;) I wonder if there's a list of such findings?

Last edited:
Nice post Carmanah!! Thx for sharing. That is one of the greatest gifts of music for me--> the ability it has to take you back in time....

But I must say, Kitsilano at sunset no matter what music... is lovely. Add U2 and you got one hell of a moment. ;)

Carmanah said:
I'll listen to it right now for the "vamos" part. Call me ignorant, but while I do know French (which sometimes shares the root words with the Spanish language), I don't really know the direct translation of the Spanish word "vamos"... a quick trip to altavista.com translated it to "we go" - although I don't see how that indicates anything sensual, unless that's the wrong translation. I know how languages and translators can be. In French, go is "va"... so the root word is kind of there. But an explanation please? :)

Also, about hidden words in songs... I always find little whispers, coughs and noises here and there... from the obvious "Achtung Baby!" in The Fly, to other sensual things here and there. ;) I wonder if there's a list of such findings?

Carmanah, I?m not a Spanish speaker for we speak Portuguese in my country, but in this case the word vamos has the same meaning (not so common as you might think ;)). You could translate that as a simple "lets go" BUT...it?s the way he says (not the word itself) what I, and I?m sure other women, find sensual...and the "glimpse" of what comes next. :D I hope you get it this time around. ;)

As for your "other sensual things here and there" list I say you should visit PLEBA more often. I?m confident those nice (and scary, LOL) girls there will help you out. :)

Back
Top Bottom