Tomorrow live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liamcool

Blue Crack Addict
deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trau
Me and a certain Mr. Lovetown Addict* have been arguing about something for a long time, and finally, we've decided to take our argument into the public.

When Tomorrow was played live, did The Edge play the pipes or was a person on stage to play the pipes while Edge fiddled with his guitar?

EDIT: I say that a pipist was on-stage, and Mr Lovetown Addict* says Edge played the pipes.

(* = Mr. Axver.)

Last edited:
I know it was played live, at least twice....
Off the top of my head (aka my mp3s on the hard drive)
I know it was played on Febuary 28th 1983 in Edinburgh

Dunno about "the pipes"

bono_man2002 said:
I know it was played live, at least twice....
Off the top of my head (aka my mp3s on the hard drive)
I know it was played on Febuary 28th 1983 in Edinburgh

Dunno about "the pipes"

We know it was played 32 times; twice on the October Tour and thirty times on the War Tour.

I was always under the impression that Edge played the pipes, and when the objection was raised - well, they played Tomorrow for all of the first leg of War (England) and for the April portion of the second leg (US), and I haven't heard of U2 having a fifth musician travelling with them. I don't know if they could've even afforded one - especially to drop them just a a week into the US leg. I also find it hard to believe they'd have a new pipist arranged for every town.

So I'm very interested to hear about what really happened.

Axver said:

We know it was played 32 times; twice on the October Tour and thirty times on the War Tour.

I was always under the impression that Edge played the pipes, and when the objection was raised - well, they played Tomorrow for all of the first leg of War (England) and for the April portion of the second leg (US), and I haven't heard of U2 having a fifth musician travelling with them. I don't know if they could've even afforded one - especially to drop them just a a week into the US leg. I also find it hard to believe they'd have a new pipist arranged for every town.

So I'm very interested to hear about what really happened.

I am sure that a guy named Vincent Killduff plaed with them a couple of times in Dublin during the concerts...not quit sure about the rest of the tour could be pre recorded...i don't see bono or edge play this and what's the use of bringing the guy on stage for a couple of nights if they could play it themselves...pre recorded that's my guess

Scrabble

My understanding is that the first time they ever used sequencers was on the Unforgettable Fire tour for "Bad". (and it took them a long time to get used to the technology, according to interviews of the time).

My guess is that they used guitar effects live.

(non techie poster)
:wink:

I always thought it was Edge. I've heard a few versions of the song live and there's no guitar while the pipe is being played. Once it stops, there's guitar again.

At least he looks like he knows how to play it -

edge_whistle_mag.jpg

Edgette said:
I always thought it was Edge. I've heard a few versions of the song live and there's no guitar while the pipe is being played. Once it stops, there's guitar again.

At least he looks like he knows how to play it -

edge_whistle_mag.jpg

:wink:

mmm...surprissed surprissed...I know they learned how to use the sequencers but the could have used a tape...

you are right about the guitar part/pipe part not being simultaniously...still not sure..it sounds very very good..(at least we know it can not be Bono lol)

Here are some excerpts from U2 Live: A Concert Documentary. First, the song's live debut (26 January 1982 in Dublin):
Tomorrow is performed for the very first time, accompanied by Vincent Kilfuff on uillean pipes, who also plays on the album.

Then, the second time the song's performed (and only other time on the October Tour, 17 March 1982, New York):
Adam's dark, ominous bass lines introduce Tomorrow. It is only the second live performance of the song. Edge plays the intro on tin whistle.

Finally, there's a mention of the first concert of the War Tour, 26 February 1983, Dundee:
October serves as a breather in the set, the piano delicately played by Edge alone in the spotlight. Larry caresses the cymbals for Tomorrow, Adam produces dark and grim bass sounds, while Edge plays the intro melody on tin whistle. The song has been performed on just two occasions, but has a fixed spot in the set. It is vocally demanding for Bono but he finds a way of delivering it with emotion without straining his voice too much.

So it seems that Edge performed the into to Tomorrow most of the times, though he never played the pipes. It was a tin whistle. :wink:

Popmartijn said:
Then, the second time the song's performed (and only other time on the October Tour, 17 March 1982, New York):

Actually, it was played the next night too. I didn't realise it had been played in January, as we don't have a setlist for that show.

Thanks for the quotes!

blahblahblah said:

to sound like uillean pipes???? :wink:

lol...so the mystery seems to have been solved...damn i wish they would play this again...instead of the ocean or ELEVATION :wink:

Back
Top Bottom