To what was Paul McGuiness referring to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfwill23

War Child
On June 11th, the life-long manager of U2 was asked about the release of the new album and replied, "I am just reminding everyone that we must learn from past mistakes and not release it before it is finished."

What mistakes was Mr. McGuiness referring to? I think it was Pop, but I'm not sure.

Pop is the best guess anyone can offer I agree. It was the only album they really had problems with, with the release of it.

...Although, didn't they think AB was rushed as well with studio time running out etc? I could be imagining things or mixing up something else...But I still agree with Pop.

They did not finish Pop.

They have stated this many times.

They did not even have enough time to rehearse for the tour and that is whay many of the first shows were, uh, sub-par

(as far as band performance goes.)

I think they are always rushed as usually the record company always dictates the release date.

I think the band is finally able to dictate when they will release their records and they can then plan ahead...

it was their own fault for rushing through pop. why on earth they would lay out the ground work for one of the biggest tours of all time before finishing the album they were going to use to support is beyond me.

but its a mistake, and those happen.

if i remember correctly, they had to rush through war as well. i remember reading somewhere that they had 40 minutes to make one more song and so bono recited a psalm and out came the song 40.

ouizy said:
They did not finish Pop.

They have stated this many times.

They did not even have enough time to rehearse for the tour and that is whay many of the first shows were, uh, sub-par

(as far as band performance goes.)
i agree. while i think the album sounds great, as far as the first leg of the tour, the proof is in the pudding. it's not a good thing to have to start over on a song, but not before two band members argue over how a song should sound. that shit should've been agreed on before the tour even started. they even had to start over staring at the sun at the concert i went to, which was a month into the tour. that just goes to show what rehearsals can do for a tour.

I think it's interesting that whereas Pop was "unfinished," the reworked versions of the Pop songs on the Best Of disc sound more unfinished than the originals.

But maybe that's just me.

the reworked versions sound more like the live versions to me

they are good, but don't really thrill me

I think Paul McGuiness was referring to the re-recording One and Stay for the Best of 1990-2000. U2 didnt had enough time to record "substantial" new mixes (in more generic terms a al live version) of these songs.

If that's true, hopefully they'll run out of time more often. Those are two songs that shouldn't be tampered with.

Red Ships of Scalla-Festa said:

if i remember correctly, they had to rush through war as well. i remember reading somewhere that they had 40 minutes to make one more song and so bono recited a psalm and out came the song 40.

What i dont get is sometimes one's best work/art comes out when theyre rushed..
I think we Westerners didnt care for Pop but the Euros loved it.:)

DB9

Last edited:
"bells and whistles"

"we want typical guitar rock that sounds exactly like everything theyve ever done in the 80's"

"we dont want them to be inspired and make songs weve never heard before"

diamond said:
I think we Westerners didnt care for Pop but the Euros loved it.:)DB9
:wink: spot on

Red Ships of Scalla-Festa said:
"bells and whistles"

"we want typical guitar rock that sounds exactly like everything theyve ever done in the 80's"

"we dont want them to be inspired and make songs weve never heard before"

here's another one:

"we prefer doing the ronald"

it is not a question o fliking or not liking Pop.

it is a known fact that the band has stated that they ran out of production time on the record because they had to rush through rehearsals for the tour that were already set.

ouizy said:
it is not a question o fliking or not liking Pop.

it is a known fact that the band has stated that they ran out of production time on the record because they had to rush through rehearsals for the tour that were already set.

Totally true Ouizy! :up: Now, could everyone please refrain from making a judgement about the album. We've had enough of those discussions.

C ya!

Marty (does not want to have another Pop flame war)

Since when did us 'Euros' stop becoming Westeners ? Don't want to spark up a 'free your mind' discussion, just thought it spoke volumes...

*flames*
no just kidding
well I like POP (but only aftre the 6th hearing... dunno why it took so long.. bu now I love it)

whatever he was refrerring to (though I also think McGuiness referred to that particulare album) he is right I think :)

t is certainly also way more relaxter for the guys to really finish and rehears their stuff
I don't think they have the desire to do the "POP-hurdle run" again :wink:

Back
Top Bottom