To tour or not to tour? That is the question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angel

Elvis' Naughty Angel
Take it as you will, but the source is very reliable.

--> "Latest is that there may NOT be any tour in Europe this summer.

A decision maybe made this weekend, but after the Irish Music Awards the band are taking time out away from it all. The thinking is U2 do not have to tour Elevation through Europe again. They have a new studio single to deliver in September. Their second Greatest Hits album is released next March (2003). It is considered it would be better to tour then to help promote this, rather than do something this summer."

------------------
I disappeared in you
You disappeared from me
I gave you everything you ever wanted,
It wasn't what you wanted

[This message has been edited by Angel (edited 03-08-2002).]

Well, that certainly is interesting to hear, that's for sure.

I'd have to say that they could tour Europe again this summer.. but probably not America. If they did America again, it probably would cause more than some backlash/negativity. I think they should lay low until the tour, then don't do a lot of promotion like they have lately, and just tour. Perhaps some promotion, just enough to make it known they ARE touring again, but not so blatant.

And that said... I think they should tour. Summer is perfect for touring. I don't know if this will sound odd or not, but I have a feeling there could be some "old geezers" comments going around if they tour for/after the new Best Of.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Originally posted by Arun V:
personally..I wouldn't mind if they held off touring
during which one of the US legs did you come to that realisation?

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I thought that the greatest hits was coming out at Christmas!! I don't want to wait till March!! *Pouts like a baby*

Just kidding!! I feel bad for the Europeans who were really looking forward to their turn this summer. After all, I already got to see them on two different legs of the tour.

I am looking forward to a new single in September. That is a nice surprise
biggrin.gif
!! Do you think that is the Gangs of New York Song???

Originally posted by Arun V:
personally..I wouldn't mind if they held off touring

I agree. I'd rather they spend time with their families and work on the record. Of course I'd also feel bad for the European fans if they didn't tour, but I worry about the band burning out.

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
I agree. I'd rather they spend time with their families and work on the record. Of course I'd also feel bad for the European fans if they didn't tour, but I worry about the band burning out.

Actually.. you're probably right. (Why do I change my mind so often?! I look like an idiot!) I'm torn: I think they should tour and they should spend time with their families and rest up. Perhaps they'd get to do both if they toured after Best Of came out?

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Originally posted by erper:
burn her at the stake!

LMAO erper! I didn't come up with this myself and it's certainly not what I want, but it's such a double edged sword. Europe deserves more shows, but the guys look so tired. I respect them for knowing when they've reached their limit--> this is what they have to decide. They may not have yet and then we'll be hearing of a tour soon, but the reality is, they may decide to take a break.

Again, it's a waiting game.

Originally posted by Angel:
but the guys look so tired
hey, I look tired too
so far my boss doesn't see that as a reason to give me 3 months off

------------------
Salome

Ahhh Salami I love u! Ok, maybe they don't look that tired... One show in Amsterdam, how's that sound??

ahhhhh, what is your source about this shocking news Angel?

i know, its their call, they can do as they wish, their heart is free... but i so wish they dont stop because their shows were way too much of a euphoric experience that i CANT leave them behind now lol.....

and thats what i fear they all hint at with their walk on, all that they cant leave behind, but oh no, be strong you got to leave it behind.... well we can all associate different things with their lyrics, even bono said in whatever book that was that he helped explain his lyrics which was a mistake i agree with the other members of the band... but still

the cover of the cd name "all that you cant leave behind" is them standing in an airport, stuff they've done so much over the years... that like you said are probably getting tired of it, i dont blame them but jesus not now when i just for the first time experienced 2 of their awakenings, i mean shows, this last fall 2001 ugh ugh lol

Originally posted by Angel:
Ahhh Salami I love u! Ok, maybe they don't look that tired... One show in Amsterdam, how's that sound??

I vote for 2 shows in Amsterdam...so I wouldn't feel guilty about being another friggin' American taking up a seat in Europe. I love Amsterdam.

Well they have said they have a great hunger for playing more concerts.
It is good to have a hunger as you know they will give it all they got in the studio and then when they tour again.

But if they continued Elevation or some new mega world tour this year, then....something terrible could happen!!!!

You guys are all nuts
They are not gonna stop
Sure as I am a slut
like outta control spinning top
biggrin.gif

Angel, is this the same reliable source that told Elvis that Propaganda would NOT offer tickets to the N. American Elevation shows both before the first leg and the third leg?

The bottom line is that no tour has been announced so how could it be cancelled?? There are enough publications and organizations out there that would be involved in the tour that have indicated they are planning on touring. You have to remember that U2 plans out what they are going to do about a year in advance. For the logistics involved, staging and tour personnel needed for a stadium tour it would cost them quite a bit of money to simply decide at this point not to tour. Not to mention taking into consideration their touring personnel who they supposedly told to not make any plans for the next year. Now they would have no work. I'am not saying it is impossible for them to change their mind like this (in fact I think it might be a good idea to get a new album out before tour again) but I think it is unlikely with all the people and planning involved.

My "guess", plan on seeing them tour Europe this summer. They definately will NOT be returning to the U.S. this year (Edge even confirmed this) and I think the only other possibility might be S. America this year. Otherwise, plan to see them on the road again Summer/Fall 2003 in support of a new album.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 03-09-2002).]

Originally posted by Blue Room:

The bottom line is that no tour has been announced so how could it be cancelled?? There are enough publications and organizations out there that would be involved in the tour that have indicated they are planning on touring. You have to remember that U2 plans out what they are going to do about a year in advance. For the logistics involved, staging and tour personnel needed for a stadium tour it would cost them quite a bit of money to simply decide at this point not to tour. Not to mention taking into consideration their touring personnel who they supposedly told to not make any plans for the next year. Now they would have not work. I'am not saying it is impossible for them to change their mind like this but I think it is unlikely with all the people and planning involved.

My guess, plan on seeing them tour Europe this summer. They definately will NOT be returning to the U.S. this year (Edge even confirmed this) and I think the only other possibility might be S. America this year. Otherwise, plan to see them on the road again Summer/Fall 2003 in support of a new album.

I know Angel, everything is rumor at this point and I understand where you are coming from with this information and there may be some hesitation by the band to do this now. As I said in my post I'am not saying it is impossible for U2 to decide not to tour all of a sudden. I was just pointing out that ALOT of people that work for the band would be effected in a negative way if they pulled back all of a sudden which makes me think they will go ahead with the tour.

Actually I hope they dont tour this summer (Sorry Euro fans). I would rather they spend the time working on the album and touring again when they have a new album of songs to play live. I remember reading an interview with Edge regarding recording the Joshua Tree album. He indicated they were in a very good groove/vibe and then all of a sudden had to pick up and rehearse to go on the Amnesty tour in 86. He said that they didnt want to stop recording but they had committed to the tour already. Edge stated that when they got back it was like they had to start all over again. So maybe things are going so well in the studio they dont want to screw that up by having to rehearse and go back on tour. If they dont tour this summer, I would guess the reason is something along those lines.

Originally posted by Blue Room:
Actually I hope they dont tour this summer (Sorry Euro fans). I would rather they spend the time working on the album and touring again when they have a new album of songs to play live.
actually I agree with you
I'd also prefer a new album + new tour

but reasons such as "too much media coverage" and "they look tired" don't rhyme with me

perhaps they did have too much media coverage in the US, but frankly they're hardly in the (music) news over here and I expect the same to be true for Australia, South America, Asia and Africa

if they do fear the US might start to get U2-tired then perhaps they shouldn't have played 75% off all Elevation shows (+95% of all other public appearences) over there

if they are tired and need a rest then I also got to wonder why they did have the energy to have 3 legs in the US?

------------------
Salome

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 03-10-2002).]

Supposedly Willie emailed an Interfencer (I cant remember who) and said that U2 were planning to tour this summer. I think what Angel is saying is that a tour was planned but they are having second thoughts now. So even if Willie said this that would neither confirm nor deny this new rumor.

Its all rumor folks. Most of the reliable and semi reliable information out there says they will be touring Europe this summer. I guess we will all just have to wait and see.

Salome, I agree with you. I dont think U2 have been over exposed in Europe. Some areas of Europe were grossly underplayed. I think it was done on purpose because they were planning to do a stadium tour this summer. They did the same thing with Zoo TV. The Euro indoor leg of Zoo TV was very minimal and didnt even come close to meeting demand. They knew tentatively they would be back later in the tour. I think we are looking at the same thing with this tour.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 03-09-2002).]

Blue Room, I hear what you are saying and I see your point, but this news isn't from my mouth. I am just passing along what I have been told.
It is from a very reliable source, yes, and no, it's not the same guy who told Elvis blah, blah, blah.
Bottom line, we are all going to believe what we want to believe. This new news just states that there is a possiblity that the summer tour may not go ahead as scheduled. The guys are getting together to figure things out. It's fairly logical, and not too short of notice to change their minds if they choose to. I am not saying they have, it is just apparent that things are up in the air still with regards to a summer tour.

Originally posted by Salome:
Originally posted by
b]
during which one of the US legs did you come to that realisation?

the 19th one...after they played a rousing setlist in the starbucks down teh street

[This message has been edited by Arun V (edited 03-09-2002).]

I guess we'll just have to wait and see till it's officially announced.
So far, i think the tour in Europe is still on.

to suggest that they would tour in support of a Best Of... is silly. You don't tour for this kind of product, soley. I hope they don't tour summer, recharge, record the new album and then do a full scale stadium tour to support the new album. summer/fall 2003 stadium tour would be cool.

I think the Best Of... is due in Oct./Nov. Would make the most sense.

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
Overexposure sometimes is to a band's detriment.
the only continent suffering from overexposure so far is North America

------------------
Salome

Back
Top Bottom