"To Michael Jackson, I don't believe you're bad ..."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
These were Bono's words to introduce Bad and immortalized in perhaps the most popular U2 bootleg of all-time, the Zooropa Tour Dublin Concert of August 28, 1993.

This concert had Naomi Campbell go to the b-stage taking videos of Clayton. No less than Sir Paul McCartney was in the audience. It was a concert that was broadcast to all of Europe.

It is also arguable that one of U2's best live songs ever is Bad. This is one of the songs the audience really looks forward to and pays a lot of attention to.

But as the sequencer to the song began playing, Bono immediately said that it was for Michael Jackson.

"To Michael Jackson, I don't believe you're bad. Guilty before you've been given a chance."

This was during a time when the first ever child molestation rumors and charges against Jackson surface.

Now the question arises: Was Bono just taking a knock at the media for slamming Jackson even before he was given a chance to air his side? Or was Bono already declaring Michael Jackson's innocence?

I think the statement is clear "I don't believe you're bad." There is no room for interpretation there. To Bono's own belief, he was in Jackson's side. It should also be noteworthy that in POP, Bono continued with his fascination for Jackson by including his name in the lyrics of The Playboy Mansion.

But let us always take this into context. During that time, Bono had no little boys yet, just little girls (Eve and Jordan if I got the names correct). I think Ali gave birth to boys around `98 and `01.

So now that Bono already has little boys, perhaps he has changed his world view. I'd like to ask what you guys think: If Bono were to pass judgement on Michael Jackson now, would he still say he doesn't believe Michael Jackson is bad? Would he consider letting his little boys visit Jackson's Neverland Ranch now?

While this is an old topic (from a 1993 Bono statement), I feel it is relevant nowadays considering: (1) Michael Jackson is in the headlnes; and, (2) Bono already has two boys.

Let me know your opinions.

Cheers,

J

Yeah, I remember that concert well, and that intro to Bad.

At that time, there was only one set of allegations against Jackson.

Now we have a whole different set of allegations. So it's most unlikely that Bono would make a similar statement today.

Jick, if memory serves correctly the exact quote was

"Michael Jackson, if you're out there, I don't believe you're bad. Proven guilty before you'd been given a chance."

Admittedly there's very little difference between that and the way you've quoted it!

I think the allegations against Jackson and the media hype have to be considered. I wasn't old enough at the time to know, but it would seem from what I know now that Bono - who didn't know all the facts - was criticising the media - who ALSO didn't know all the facts - for declaring Jackson guilty when he hadn't been given a chance.

Yeah i dunno

but if you read the book "u2 at the end of the world" there is a part where jackson is discussed. He has an intrest in U2 to such an extent that he wanted to send a camera team to thier studio to film them while they worked slept and ate.

He also tried to tape them when u2 went backstage at one of his concerts, u2 were pretty freaked out by all this as you could imagine.

It also says in the book that jackson was at a record store when boy was first out and was inquireing about getting hold of the huge promotional cutout of the front cover when the store had finihed with it. And we all know that the front cover has that intence looking half naked young boy on it...weird

Last edited:
I think Bono was probably just empathising somewhat with Jacko. Back in '93 the whole affair had become a media circus. Jackson is well known to be a bit of a Peter Pan type figure. He experienced tremendous fame from an early age and missed out on a proper childhood which he has been trying to reclaim ever since. Now I am no psychologist but Jackson is to my mind a sad figure who has little or no experience of reality as the mass population understand it. At the time of Bono's statement there were rumours of Jackson contemplating suicide, I think Bono was just reaching out to the guy a bit without condoning his alleged behaviour but with condemnation for the hounds of the press.

and what about MacPhisto's speech which was supposed to say 'goodbye Michael, I hope you get a new penis' :eek: and the look on his face when he read the teleprompter in ZOOTV, and how he just left it as 'goodbye Michael..' But the story behind it sounded like he and Gavin had been making fun of Jacko.

And even so, it's a different story now. I doubt Eli and John will be spending any time at Neverland :reject:

Pero said:
But why does he say in Playboy mansion "Michael Jackson history"

There are many interpretations here. First, Jackson released a best of type album called "History". Second, Jackson certainly has a rather juicy history - from early childhood fame, to stratospheric stardom, to problems with his controlling father, to his idolation of Diana Ross, to his Neverland ranch, and to his troubles with the law. That's more history than most of us will ever have. And third, it could mean that Jackson, due to the media and his condemnations, is now a figure of the past - he will never regain the glory he had from 1982-1988. And this third view relates a bit with the Playboy Mansion as it too is a thing of the past - a type of debauchery and extravagance that people decades ago strived to achieve but that his frowned on today.

I don't think we should be wasting thread space on the human waste that is Michael Jackson. He's an average songwriter, an average singer, and a great dancer. Big deal. The guy made better music at 5 than he did at 30.

He should be shot out into space so the planet that he comes from can claim him back. This is what happens when people with messed up childhoods have too much money and time on their hands. I think if Bono knew that Jackson has books of nude child photography he would be a bit more skeptical of his innocence.

Good riddance, freak.

laz

Pero said:
But why does he say in Playboy mansion "Michael Jackson history"

You should read it in context:

If coke is a mystery
and Michael Jackson history
If beauty is truth
surgery the fountain of youth

Coke is not a mystery. Beauty is not truth. Surgery is not the fountain of youth. Therefore, Bono meant that Michael Jackson is not history.

When someone has a career on the decline, you always say "you're history now." So Bono actually means, that as of 1997 - even if people already thought Jackson was history - Bono didn't think so. So even up to that point, Bono still believed in Jackson

But then again, his two little boys weren't born yet. So I guess Bono might have changed his opinion on Michael Jackson now.

Cheers,

J

Axver said:
I think the allegations against Jackson and the media hype have to be considered. I wasn't old enough at the time to know, but it would seem from what I know now that Bono - who didn't know all the facts - was criticising the media - who ALSO didn't know all the facts - for declaring Jackson guilty when he hadn't been given a chance.

Well if this is your take on the statement then I guess Bono would still make a similar statement now.

After all, formal judgement has not been passed on Jackson yet. His trial hasn't ended. So right now, he is still being given a chance and we don't yet his side. A court decision will be the only thing that will satisfy us. Right now all we have are the media pimps and prostitutes.

So if you interpret it that way, then Bono may still think he doesn't believe Michael Jackson is bad.

Cheers,

J

well...

If coke is a mystery
and Michael Jackson history
If beauty is truth
surgery the fountain of youth

he was stating the attitude of the general public, the people who BELIEVED that coke is a mystery, that beauty is truth and that surgery is the fountain of youth, the same people who think michael jackson IS history.

and eventually what matters in pop culture is the public perception. if all these people think MJ is history, they wont buy his records, and he will effectively be history. its a self fulfilling prophecy. as seen in jackson's 'invincible' campaign which ended up selling 2 million copies WORLDWIDE..

yes, MJ is history.

I believe Michael Jackson is guilty. I was never his fan and never really enjoyed his songs, but at that time I was so shocked that I didn’t want to believe it too, at first.

I don’t know Michael Jackson that well but I remember watching the interview he allowed to give in Neverland. I think he lives in a world of his own, a world of fantasy, and he really believes in it. I don’t think he is naïf and I also don’t think he is bad. I think he’s a dangerous person with a bizarre, extremely damaged personality (I think any pedophile has a damaged personality). It may be so damaged that he doesn't grasp how different he is from the rest of society, nor right from wrong.

Maybe this was what Bono meant. Maybe he was just stating that it was unfair that society was already condemning him before trial and he should be given a chance to explain himself. Maybe he really believed in Michael Jackson’s innocence. I don’t know.

I think Bono is a good man.

Last edited:
Whatever, people, i still think that Jacko Wacko has few hits:
Thriller, Billie Jean, beat it, Smooth Criminal(that's what i have come up now) and no other.
I think, after reading your explanations, that Jacko is history and never will be popular and good as he was.
Same thing is with u2, climacs was Jt-AB period and nothing will beat it(I sure hope that something will but let's be realistic, it won't)
Thank you for listening.

Steak said: "He has an intrest in U2 to such an extent that he wanted to send a camera team to thier studio to film them while they worked slept and ate."

Get real, so would half the freaks on this messageboard if they had the 'power' like Jacko.

Also, IMO Jacko is innocent and they will have to have some pretty hardcore evidence to convict him other than kids saying he touched them....

Also he has tons of great songs, as many as U2..... my personal faves :)

Billie Jean, Beat It, Smooth Criminal, You are not alone, Black or White, Give in to me, Thriller, Dont stop til you get enough, Wanna be startin, The way you make me feel, Dirty Diana, Another part of me, Will you be there, Earth Song, Speechless, We are the world

and my 2 personal faves - Heal the world, Man in the mirror.

all_i_want said:
well...
its a self fulfilling prophecy. as seen in jackson's 'invincible' campaign which ended up selling 2 million copies WORLDWIDE..

yes, MJ is history.

Actually, "Invincible" went 2x Platinum in the U.S. alone (which means 2 million copies sold in the U.S. - check the RIAA database). And despite his problems in the U.S., Jackson is still adored abroad. So I do believe your sales info. is wrong. :wave:

Last edited:
i believe that the line "Michael Jackson, History" is more about the album by him with the same name [History], that is most likely what i was thinking about when i first heard it back in may 2001.

as for the verdict. i think HE DID IT.:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

doctorwho said:

Actually, "Invincible" went 2x Platinum in the U.S. alone (which means 2 million copies sold in the U.S. - check the RIAA database). And despite his problems in the U.S., Jackson is still adored abroad. So I do believe your sales info. is wrong. :wave:

yes it sold 2 million, ONLY 2 million, WHICH, to MJ, is rather a disappointment. he blames they record company for not promoting the album well enough, which i agree on that.

That album had quite a few goos songs, i loved SPEECHLESS, awesome song written by Jacko himself.

Sony wouldn't even let himrelease WHAT MORE CAN I GIVE - a charity single after Sept 11.

I think he released the Number Ones album to get out his contract with Sony.... altho it dont seem like he will be making anymore music anytime soon...

the coke is a mystery line is about the coke formula and how it is supposedly a mystery or something.

the mj is history line is just a play or a pun on his album title as well as the idea that in 1996 when the song was written mj was pretty much done with anyway.

I dont believe you're

BAD.jpg

perhaps meaning, you're not the badass that you think you are?

And even if Bono believed MJ was innocent some 10+ years ago... what does it matter now? :|

I hate being sucked into pointless threads...

Bad Miroslava, Bad!

Take it for what it is- All he was saying is that Micheal is not guilty until proven guilty- and thats it.

macphisto23 said:
Take it for what it is- All he was saying is that Micheal is not guilty until proven guilty- and thats it.

Then he should have said "To Michael Jackson, I won't pass judgement on your until proven guilty".

Instead, Bono said "I don't believe you're bad." That statement is clear enough - he believes in Jacko's innocence.

Cheers,

J

learn2kneel said:
I think I accidentally started this from a post in the Michael Hutchence thread, Jick said he'd start a post on the matter and he did

Yes you did. Should I give you credit for this?

Anyway, since I admitted it - then your should be properly credited and recognized by now.

Cheers,

J

What do you think?
COULD JACKO WACKO RAPE YOU WHEN YOU WERE 13????
I would moonwalk up and down his ass!!!
He couldn't rape me ever, because he's pussy and weak, i would kick his ass

Back
Top Bottom