Timing of HTDAAB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starsgoblue

Blue Crack Addict
We know that a huge theme was implicitly and explicitly given in All That You Can't Leave Behind, and that theme was love. Love on all its different aspects from personal to spiritual and its significance along the way. There is alot of concepts bubbling underneath the surface of All That You Can't Leave Behind that I am predicting will explode onto How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. Does anyone else share similar thoughts?

In what way do you mean explode? :wink:

To me, Vertigo feels a lot heavier, possibly even a little darker than anything U2 has done to date. The literal meaning of the title, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, implies a schematic diagram or instruction booklet that, were it neccessary to follow, would make me feel quite uneasy. I would question myself at each subsequent step and say my prayers in the hopes to not make a mistake, lol.

Perhaps that is the intended result. For one to find Faith in God, one's own abilities, and courage to face the uncertain.

Hey, maybe this album is U2's musical interpretation of the Bible. We'll all know soon enough.

See the more and more I examine Vertigo the more I see it as a starting point. I most definetly see a central character arising from the song and it seems the conflict the character has is dealing with his spirituality. I think the sense of vertigo is from the flurry of man-made concepts of God that one sees everywhere. What is real? What is truth? The concept of grace is something that even believers find very very hard to believe; it seems almost too good to be true but one will never feel complete until their "God-shaped hole" is properly filled instead of continuously being patched over with God-substitutes. (Maybe the end track of Grace on ATYCLB ties right into Vertigo?) I almost feel like the verse that speaks of not being able to stand the beats symbolizes a sense of disgust in the constant barage and a feeling of suffocation is driving the character to try and hide and then he sees the girl with Jesus around her neck. The Bible says that God made us in his image...and in both man and woman is His image. Jesus (God) + Woman (love) = wholeness. These seems to help explain other track titles as well....

The Achtung Baby LP deals with a character exploring the nature of love in earthly forms. Perhaps How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb addresses the heavenly expression of love?

Last edited:
:hug: youtwohearts :hug:

Basically I think the song Vertigo is about a character who is questioning his own spirituality or belief in a higher power. One thing that has always stuck with me is something Bono once said before playing Please, he said "Man can take God who is awe inspiring and immense and recreate Him in thier own images, which are tiny and pathetic." So many things that are unwell with the world these days has a basis of truth in this thought. There are so many things done "in the name of God" that I am sure He would be horrified to be attributed to. For example, there are people declaring holy wars. Holy war--what an oxymoron that is.

So given that background, what is someone supposed to do? Is there an absolute truth hidden among all the illusions? Even to be an atheist isn't cut and dry...that's a belief that seems to belie any definite and categorical truth. It's dizzying to try and fully comphrehend the nature of God---hence the title Vertigo.

Try listening to Vertigo and reading the lyrics with that thought in mind... The song begins with a sense of confusion ("the jungle is your head") and finally a confrontation where the character has to choose his direction ("the girl with Jesus round her neck"--dancing and carefree) and a conclusion of hope ("your love is teaching me"). The repitition of "Hello hello, I'm in a place called Vertigo" is almost like a crying out to God...a pleading for a response.

Does that help?

Last edited:
what you originally posted was just terribly exciting, i couldn't really express it words other than that. but seriously, HTDAAB does seem to be a final chapter in this sort of emotional album series, AB, ATYCLB, and now this one. AB set up the themes of lost love and pain, ATYCLB explored what can be done after this, and HTDAAB could be like a renewed love or faith, i revival or sorts both lyrically, musically and philisophocally

Well I think Vertigo is probably an introduction of sorts.

The 'vertigo' in Vertigo is an emotional/mental one. It's in the first verse. He's caught in between his head which is telling him one thing, and heart which is telling him another, and thats where the vertigo comes from.

The opening verse is kinda confusing, like you don't know which one won; the head or the heart.

The jungle is your head, but it can't rule your heart, which is really strong, and your soul (heart) can't be bought, BUT remember that your mind CAN wander... See, I'm confused, I'm at a place called vertigo (Dond' esta = Where is it?) It's everything I wish I didn't know (head), but you give me something I can feel (heart).

What the argument is between his head and heart I don't know. It could be temptation. It could be a spiritual argument. It could be the life Bono's lived over the years since ATYCLB.

Remember at the time of recording ATYCLB Bono was involved with the Drop The Debt campaign, and ATYCLB was influenced by the themes in that campaign, fresh start, optimism for the future etc. It (Drop The Debt) was a very forward looking, happy campaign. Since then there's been the massive Elevation tour, death of his father, 9/11, Iraq, and his much, much larger campaigning, lobbying etc for Africa. The current African campaign is different. It's based on mass tragedy. It involves from Bono a lot more in regard to lobbying, fighting, deal making, and I think he probably has a very strong sense of the importance of his position in this campaign, like he says, he's "working for the African people", he's the face, heart and soul of the campaign. That would weigh very heavy. What if he fucks it up? What if it all succeeds?

I think he's probably seen more of the 'real' political world as well. What lobbying involves. Attitudes towards Africa. Obscene amounts of money being allocated for trivial things, and war, but not this issue. Despite all his 'non-partisan' talk, he's definitely playing the political game. This may not sit comfortably. All of these things may create an argument between his head, and his heart.

I dunno, it's Bono so it's multi-layered and it may be one or all of these things. And thats why I see it as an introduction. Basically, Vertigo = "A lot of shit has been going on. It's a spin. I'm not sure what to think about it all." And then, on the other 10 tracks he'll go further into exactly what it is that is going on in his head and heart.

Back
Top Bottom