Time to vote! Should Mercy be on the next album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should Mercy be included on the next album?

• Yes, definitely!

Votes: 191 65.2%
  • No, never!

Votes: 29 9.9%
  • No but maybe as a Bonus track!

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • No but maybe as a B-side!

Votes: 46 15.7%

• Total voters
typhoon said:
I would support throwing it on a single as a B-side to get people to STFU about it

The problem is, U2 doesn't read message boards and don't really care what we think. So they don't know there's anything to shut up.

stammer476 said:

The problem is, U2 doesn't read message boards and don't really care what we think. So they don't know there's anything to shut up.

I'm sure U2 knows that the song has leaked. Fans have asked U2 about it before. I think Bono said to someone "It's out there? Uh-oh, I could be in trouble then..." or something to that effect. But I don't know if they realize how popular it is among the U2 fan community.

And U2 should care what we think, we're giving them money :wink:

Call me crazy, but I don't think they clear up their schedules to hang around here.

And yes, they should care what we think, but if the Chicago DVD isn't proof enough, I don't know what is.

EDIT: I'll clarify. Generally, I do think they are greatly concerned with what we think. But as far as specific opinions of the fan community (i.e. Hamish, Mercy, Pop, next album), they are clueless.

Last edited:
How in the hell can Mercy -not- be included on the next album?

I mean, it's just one of those songs that I listen to... and imagine... wow, something this exceptional actually exists.. and I might not have heard it.

Don't even want to think about it not being on the next album.

what he said.

at least this forum's finally got over trying to keep the track to itself! :wink:

Mercy should be an album classic - never released as a single. Rather like Bad it should be there to boost an album as a whole rather than trying to be a superb single track.

There is some weight behind using it as a B-side - as another member put it earlier in the thread there is nothing worse than buying a single with countless shitty remixes as b-sides its U2 selling themselves short - pump out the original material thats what you want in a B-side!!

No, for the same reason that Electrical Storm shouldn't've been on HTDAAB. I'm not its hugest fan, although I agree it's a nice song. The lyrics leave something to be desired. "We're binary code--a one and a zero" :huh: :yuck:

And it's just not interesting enough IMO to be on an album. B-side, definitely, along the lines of Always.

though Always was just an earlier version of 'Beautiful Day' technically.

I actually wouldn't mind them just putting it on the next Best Of, not as a single, as the whole six-seven minute shebang, nice incentive to buy the album since there's not going to be much else worth listening to on it! :|

amerrydeath said:
The lyrics leave something to be desired. "We're binary code--a one and a zero" :huh: :yuck:

I actually really like that line... a simple combination possible of infinite things...

xaviMF22 said:
I like mercy, I just don't like the awful lyrics:yuck:

oh man, I love the lyrics!

What other song in the 00s has such a brilliant opening...

I was drinking some wine and it turned to blood

:mac:

You just can't please some people. It's the same ones who complain about Bono not being poetic enough on their latest album, who also call Mercy's lyrics (Bono's most poetic since Zooropa) shit. :shrug:

Lancemc said:
It's the same ones who complain about Bono not being poetic enough on their latest album, who also call Mercy's lyrics (Bono's most poetic since Zooropa) shit. :shrug:

Aha! I disagree with you there, buddy. :wink:

I definitely think Bono has not nearly been even 50% as poetic in the 00s as he has been in the 80s and 90s. But Mercy, along with TGBHF, Stateless etc. are superb!

Zootlesque said:

What other song in the 00s has such a brilliant opening...

I was drinking some wine and it turned to blood

:mac:

Agreed! Awesome opening line. :yes: Not as crazy about the 'binary code' line, though I know some folks like it.

Lancemc said:
You just can't please some people. It's the same ones who complain about Bono not being poetic enough on their latest album, who also call Mercy's lyrics (Bono's most poetic since Zooropa) shit. :shrug:

Agreed....The Mercy-bashing from this lot has confirmed to me that some people definitely have a bias against almost anything post-2000 U2 despite what they say..and I am one who agrees that some of the lyrics have been a bit clumsy recently.

Utoo said:

Agreed! Awesome opening line. :yes: Not as crazy about the 'binary code' line, though I know some folks like it.

Oh, hey...just re-read my post....Meant to say that the opening line rocks....but not to imply that there aren't any other good 00's openers.

I love the 00's stuff & honestly believe that people who don't are the ones who first got into the band after AB had gotten a ton of airplay, they maaaaybe bought Zooropa, and/or got into U2 during Pop......then maybe went back and listened to pre-AB stuff. :shrug:

Zootlesque said:

Aha! I disagree with you there, buddy. :wink:

I definitely think Bono has not nearly been even 50% as poetic in the 00s as he has been in the 80s and 90s. But Mercy, along with TGBHF...

I hate to be the one that points out that Bono didn´t write the lyrics to The Gound Beneat... :nerd:

for the life of me i don't understand why people would want a song that they've already heard on the album in place of a brand new song that's never been leaked... but hey... that's just me.

even if i liked mercy i wouldn't want it on the new album... i've heard it already. i'd much prefer something new.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
for the life of me i don't understand why people would want a song that they've already heard on the album in place of a brand new song that's never been leaked... but hey... that's just me.

even if i liked mercy i wouldn't want it on the new album... i've heard it already. i'd much prefer something new.

Because knowing U2 and their recent 11 track policy I´m sure they won´t replace Mercy with a new track but with an empty space.

So my question is "for the life of me I don´t see why you´d rather have an empty space than a finished, polished version of Mercy?"

BrownEyedBoy said:

Because knowing U2 and their recent 11 track policy I´m sure they won´t replace Mercy with a new track but with an empty space.

So my question is "for the life of me I don´t see why you´d rather have an empty space than a finished, polished version of Mercy?"

what in the bluest of blue hells are you talking about?

Don't worry, Headache...I'm lost in blue hell, too....:huh:

Are you saying that if U2 wants to put 11 tracks on an album, but doesn't put Mercy on there, it'll be 10 songs and an empty track?? :confused: That makes no sense at all. Unless you were just having fun and trying to be clever....but even then it makes no sense...:scratch:

BrownEyedBoy said:

I hate to be the one that points out that Bono didn´t write the lyrics to The Gound Beneat... :nerd:

Oh yeah... Rushdie did! I knew that, honest! :der:

But what about the other songs? Stateless, Flower Child, Native Son, ABOY (alt) :drool:

I'd like Mercy to be on the next album because its a great song and would strengthen the next record U2 puts out..it'd be a little wasted as standalone fan-only song, in my opinion...If you'd heard With Or Without You ages before JT came out by the same means, would your attitude be the same? that you wouldn't want it on the next album? I mean just because there would be one more new song doesn't mean anything, as that extra tune could be average/crap..we already know (well some of us ;)) that Mercy is quality.

BrownEyedBoy said:
If you're not smart enough to comprehend what I posted then I won't expect you to be smart enough to answer.

thanks slugger.

next time make sense, and perhaps i will be able to answer.

like utoo said... you're either saying something that is just silly, or you're trying to be clever, and failing miserably.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

It's not only you, this is exactly my thought, too. Mercy is a great song, but they've burnt it.......................I would feel no emotion listening to it on the next album, Mercy's time is done

:yes:
I wish Fast cars (totally out of place on the Bomb), along with it, would be the starting point for the band on the next album.

/even though I feel both sound like U2 is borrowing from the 90s era

Back
Top Bottom