Time to be controversial - City of Blinding Lights is CR@P

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

Classic - City Of Blinding Lights
Great - Miracle Drug, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Love And Peace Or Else, Crumbs From Your Table, One Step Closer, Original Of The Species, Yahweh
Good - Vertigo, All Because Of You
Mediocre - None
Disaster - None

The only U2 song that could possibly fall into the disaster section is Red Light.

You forgot A Man And A Woman and Fast Cars...

namkcuR said:

You forgot A Man And A Woman and Fast Cars...

Ha, I did too.

Good - A Man And A Woman, Fast Cars.

Fast Cars really belongs in some middle ground between Good and Great.

classic in terms of sound, but the attempt to put all the 'traditional u2 elements' into an uninspired song is a failled one. looks like any other band trying hard to sound like u2. therefore, classic but far from great.

COBL is definitely my least favorite song on the album--I like the ending of the song but that cheesy piano glissando at the beginning really ruins the song for me...

I think it would be treated with more respect had it been written and recorded in the 80's.

It isn't exactly groundbreaking U2 music, because it sounds so much like a U2-like song, yet it still is of an extremely high quality.

3rd favourite from The BomB for me

intedomine said:
I think it would be treated with more respect had it been written and recorded in the 80's.

Nah, nineties. Anything recorded in the nineties is treated as pure gold regardless of its actual quality by the people here.

Disaster or Close-to disaster U2 songs for me are

In a Little While
If God will send his angels
Love Rescue Me
Hallelujah (Here she comes)
Trip Through Your Wires
God Part 2
Red Light

Axver said:

Nah, nineties. Anything recorded in the nineties is treated as pure gold regardless of its actual quality by the people here.

Ha good point...

One example of this IMO is people preferring One over Streets. I have never been able to understand this.

intedomine said:

Ha good point...

One example of this IMO is people preferring One over Streets. I have never been able to understand this.

A lot of people prefer One over Streets. Including the band.

Marr said:

A lot of people prefer One over Streets. Including the band.

Got a quote to back that up?

Live, they are on record as saying Streets is the ultimate, untouchable song.

intedomine said:

Neither. Streets, to me, is the ultimate song, the perfection of what music should be. Only Bad could ever dream of touching this brilliance. Oh, and the awe-inspiring 26 December 1989 performance of One Tree Hill. All three of those are leagues above One in my view.

I've heard it hundred times when they said it's their best song. That no band deserves to write that kind of a song. And Edge said that they call it One couse they knew it'll be their number one song...
I think it was when Q or another magazine, voted One the best song ever written. I'm sure U2 called One their best songs.

Axver said:

Got a quote to back that up?

Live, they are on record as saying Streets is the ultimate, untouchable song.

Don't know where you read this but only last year, just before the album was released, Bono said that he wasn't that pleased with the lyrics to Streets when looking back now. He said the couplets of "I wanna run and I wanna hide" weren't that good in his view.

rjhbonovox said:

Don't know where you read this but only last year, just before the album was released, Bono said that he wasn't that pleased with the lyrics to Streets when looking back now. He said the couplets of "I wanna run and I wanna hide" weren't that good in his view.

I remember reading that.

intedomine said:

In a Little While
Love Rescue Me
Trip Through Your Wires
God Part 2
Red Light

After this you have all my attention!

intedomine said:

In a Little While
Love Rescue Me
Trip Through Your Wires
God Part 2
Red Light

I wouldn't list neither God Part II or 40 on that list. Both songs are great, I'd like to hear them live on the upcoming tour (especially 40 which sound wonderful when sang by the crowd...)
If God Will Send His Angels and Trip Through Your wires are also good songs, not classic but good enough. With the rest i agree.

rjhbonovox said:

He said the line was bad, but he was discussing how the overall song is the ultimate live. And if he wants to talk about crap lines, "one love, one life" is even worse. It's not about individual lines, it's about the overall song - which is, if I remember correctly, what Bono was getting at.

Back
Top Bottom