tighter security at concerts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2ITNOL

Acrobat
Venues around the country are tightening security for sporting events and concerts since the terrorist attacks last week. Many arenas are now using hand-held metal detectors, checking all purses and bags, and doing pat-downs. At a Janet Jackson concert in San Antonio Wednesday night, fans had to wait an hour in line to get through the security checkpoint.
I guess this means we won't be allowed to bring in cameras this leg of the tour. Security was so lax during the 1st leg, I never had a problem getting a camera in. And the metal detectors, if they are used, will make it nearly impossible to sneak in DAT and minidisc recorders. It'll suck not being able to take photographs, and not having as many bootlegs available, but I'm all for the extra security if it prevents a terrorist from sneaking in a bomb or weapons. What a frightening new world we live in now...

This I find amazing, on the first leg security was VERY lax-yet i didn't bring anything other than a sign. I wanted to bring my license plate ( Z EDGE ) but I didn't think they would let me take it in, I was wrong. This time around they probably won't let it in either. Yet PoPmart in St. Louis they had tight security as far as metal detectors and pat-downs. I was planning to bring my license plate, lemons, cameras, signs, lightsticks, blow-up dolls, and beach balls to Austin before all this happened.

well, cameras were actually allowed at the concerts on the first leg as long as they were not pro-quality. The official rules stated it that way. So I guess unless they think someone might make a weapon look like a camera we should be able to bring them again. Bono loves the cameras!

[This message has been edited by curehp (edited 09-22-2001).]

I know it's not. What I was saying is that the rules posted outside the fleetcenter in Boston for the U2 concerts stated that cameras were allowed as long as they were not video cameras or pro-quality cameras. I had 2 different cameras right infront of the security guards front row center in the heart and they did not care, they actually asked to see people's cameras and told us we should have brought better ones since we had the chance.

I don't think cameras will be an issue. So long as you don't have removable lenses.

And I've been to concerts where they patted me down, it's not really as "secure" as people think.

Am going to some concerts where usually have had no trouble taping them and taking photos, will post how it goes (before U2's). However, everyone is now being patted down, and a thorough search is being done, as it should be now. Prior to this when they would say "is that a camera" always said "no its binoculars." Don't know if that will work now. And as far as cameras at the first leg, some people even had them taken away and stored to get them after the concert. It strictly depends on the security person you happen to encounter. Anybody who goes to a concert from now until U2, please post if you were able to still get a recorder and/or camera in. Thanks.

I think it's a good idea.

Those of us going to the first few shows will report back.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom