Thoughts On Atomic Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I am well aware that I have been hard on HTDAAB and have been one of its more vocal naysayers on this forum. But today I felt like listening to it, did so all the way through, and for once am able to share some positive thoughts about the record. Listening to it today, I enjoyed probably more than I have since Christmas Time when the record was still brand spanking new. I still think it's overrated on these forums and I still think saying it's the third best U2 record is silly, but I do think it's quite an enjoyable record. I think a lot of us, myself included, tend to want to categorize records as either 'masterpiece' or 'crap', and sort of forget about the middle ground sometimes. In my view, Bomb is on the top end of that middle ground. It's good, even great at times, but it's not a masterpiece imo.

Every song here is very enjoyable, except for maybe Yahweh, which I find to be nothing special at all. Vertigo is great for what it is, it really is, but it shouldn't be compared to The Fly or UTEOTW or Bullet etc etc when talking about U2's great rock tracks. Miracle Drug is a song U2 could do in their sleep but it's enjoyable nontheless if I'm in the right mood. The final minute and a half or so, the bridge/solo/edge singing/final chorus, is great regardless of mood. Sometimes is a great ballad, but I don't think it's in the same league as WOWY or One or Stay. LAPOE is my favorite song on the record, I think it kicks ass. COBL is very overrated on these forums but it is still quite good. ABOY is a bit boring but is enjoyable nontheless if you just stop longing for it to be something it's not. AMAAW is one of record's best tracks, a lovely ballad. Crumbs is one of the record's stronger tracks and it is a pity that it hasn't been played live yet. OSC is a very enjoyable ambient piece with underrated lyrics, but I think something like 'The First Time' is better. OOTS is a very good song in and of itself but I have always felt and still feel that the album version is just a little too cluttered, it needed to subtract an instrument or two. Hopefully the rumored upcoming single version does this. I think Yahweh would've been much better had it been like the live acoustic versions. Fast Cars should have been on the record. There was enough space on the CD, and the theme of the song's lyrics fits with several of the other songs(Sometimes, OSC, etc), in that it is about Bono's father, so I don't see any valid reason for it being only included on international versions of the record.

All in all, it's a strong record, but, like many of the songs it parents, I think to say it's the same league as established classics(like UF or JT or AB) is to overrate it. Just my opinion.

Finally, I'd like to address what I think is the weakest aspect of the record: Its front cover art. It seems a little lazy to just take a photo of the band, especially where they don't seem to have much facial expression, and call it the front cover art.

I have this idea for what it could have been, and I think it would have worked very well. Since the record, including its title, is very much about the death of Bono's father and how Bono has dealt/is dealing with it, I was thinking that the cover art could just be Bono standing in front of a mirror on a black background, but the reflection in the mirror, instead of being Bono, would be Bob Hewson - to go along with the lyric, 'it's you when I look in the mirror'. Perhaps in the bottom corner of the front cover, there could be a small dedication: "For Bob Hewson". Just an idea.

Thank you for reading.

I agree with most of what you said, but too tired to go on with what i disagree with, but I agree it is no masterpiece, no TUF,TJT,AB, but it is still great.

I was listening to Metamorphosis One by Philip Glass yesterday, and happened to switch directly to A Man and a Woman. It surprised me- I actually got into the acoustic guitar. I think the problem was that it was right after ABOY, and poor tracklisting put me in the wrong mood for the song.

Now I rank it with OOTS as having the foundation of a great song.

I'd have to agree with namkcuR's analysis, although I think I like the album slightly more than he does. I also think that Yahweh is a great song.

Also namkcuR, ahve you ever heard COBL live? It is a fantastic song live, although I admit that the album version is a bit sterile and over produced. It's still good though.

I disagree with almost everything except:

Finally, I'd like to address what I think is the weakest aspect of the record: Its front cover art. It seems a little lazy to just take a photo of the band, especially where they don't seem to have much facial expression, and call it the front cover art.

And I still think the album is too overrated here. Unfortunately...

marik said:
fast cars about bono's dad????:eyebrow:

"All I want is a picture of you
All I want is to get right next to you
All I want is your face in a locket
Your picture in my pocket
Can I take a pill to stop it. . . "

My Take on The Good, The Bad and The Ugly of HTDAAB, 9 months in:

Vertigo-
Good:One of Edge's best moments on the whole album, Bono sounds really strong vocally
Bad: Bono, besides belting out the vocals very well, is disposable to me lyrically
Ugly: Native Son is just a stronger idea and better overall song.

Miracle Drug-
Good: Edge singing a verse, the first half of the chorus is great
Bad: Just auto-pilot IMO. This song doesn't move me at all.
Ugly: Probably wold have benefitted from more studio time on this one

Sometimes-
Good: Well, Bono hits a fabulous note in a sweet crescendo
Bad: after the 1,000th listen that falsetto bit grates on my ears
Ugly: Overall a good song, pushed into the realm of being too calculated for me

Love and Peace or Else
Good: well, sonically it's tbe most interesting thing on the album
Bad: Bono lyrically does nothing for me
Ugly: Overall a good song, Bono is less than inspiring for me

All Because of You-
Good: the solo, the "I'm alive" bit is the best part of the whole album
Bad: Bono again, on the verses singing as if he's lying in bed on an all out rock tune
Ugly: The alternate version devastates the album version, musically and Bono

City of Blinding Lights-
Good: Edge is great in the chorus, overall the song flows well
Bad: The sound of the album cut is really messed up
Ugly: A good song live, a worse song on the album, overall it's a pretty good one

A Man and a Woman-
Good: U2 doing good Sting pretty well, at the very least unique to U2
Bad: Just not my cup of tea
Ugly: Other than not being my style, it's not a bad track at all I guess

Crumbs From Your Table-
Good: Edge, Edge, Edge, really sweet verse guitars, Bono's best moment on the album
Bad: I guess the production could have been better
Ugly: I think for a song that was supposedly "B-side" material, it's a winner

One Step Closer-
Good: Nice sentiment, nice touches sonically, Bono holding up his end
Bad: Just boring. Not because it's soft, because it doesn't go anywhere at any point
Ugly: Really despite the sentiment for Bob, this is a throwaway track, especially in light of Mercy

Original of the Species-
Good: Really one of U2's best all-out tunes/melodies. Edge in a great moment
Bad: A good tune/melody is not always a great song. too much in places
Ugly: Overall it is a good song, which should have been scaled back a bit at the first. Petty gripes really.

Yahweh-
Good: The intro is pretty cool, and the "ocean" bit is pretty sweet
Bad: just the ABOY disease on this one, Bono singing on a sofa, writing half asleep
Ugly: The alternate version is far superior, sonically and Bono sounds stronger

Fast Cars-
Good: well, by far the most intersting lyrics, fun verses, pretty cool guitar
Bad: the chorus is lazy, the music is almost novelty
Ugly: Xanax shits all over this song, both of them are album worthy nonetheless

How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb-
Good: better than ATYCLB, which is always progress. In moments, it is really good
Bad: Hit and miss, might be Bono's worst album, In moments, it is pedestrian
Ugly: overall, it's a good effort and a lot of bands should be proud of this kind of album, IMO for a band like U2, they can do much better doing something different, but for doing what they choose to do, right now, they can't do Beatlesy U2 better than this.
I say Beatlesy for lack of a better term.

so, I still basically see it as a 3 1/2 star album on my scale.
For perspective, I'd give R&H and Pop 4 stars and ATYCLB and Boy 3 stars. Probably my 8th favorite U2 record.

I basically see 5 U2 albums as untouchable and fully acknowledge nothing short of channeling Jesus on the record would make it hard for me to put it ahead of those 5. AB, JT, Zoo, UF, and War. So I just realistically hope and pray for a #6. Pop didn't do it for me, half-brilliant, half-filler. ATYCLB was half-pretty good, half-filler. HTDAAB is somewhere in the middle, I guess. The biggest distinction I could make might be that POP as brilliance amon it's flaws and I see no brilliance on HTDAAB. Competence abounds, but nothing that blows me away.

If I reviewed my favorite 11 track HTDAAB era album, added ABOY alt, Yahweh alt, Native Son, Smile and Mercy. and took out my least favorite tracks, I'd be willing to say I think it's
a stronger album than POP and possibly even Rattle and Hum. and I think it would be a much much stronger effort for me personally. Honestly, among those songs left off are 4 of my 5 favorite songs from this whole period.

It could have been #6, possibly. After all this time,
I think that's all I really want. Something great enough to add to my favorites and realistic enough to know that in all likelihood, I'll never like anything as much as I like those other 5 albums.

My last hope is that this album stands the test of time. My first inclination is that it won't because it's too pop-oriented and that over time it will be like skipping over Angel of Harlem and Mysterious Ways for the 8,000th time. I hope I am just being pessimistic. I have grown more affectionate towards COBL and OOTS lately, which is a good sign.

U2DMfan said:

Love and Peace or Else
Good: well, sonically it's tbe most interesting thing on the album
Bad: Bono lyrically does nothing for me

All Because of You-
Ugly: The alternate version devastates the album version, musically and Bono
:up: :up: :up: Good post!

U2DMfan said:

Pop didn't do it for me, half-brilliant, half-filler.

whaaaat...??? :shocked:

Thought you were a 90s nut like namkcuR and I!

In retrospect I think that HTDAAB is a very good record. I loved it initially and have put it aside recently. Which unlike Achtung Baby which I listened to for a year straight and that's no lie.

Once the tour hits Stateside again it'll find its way back into my CD player and/or my iPod playlist...sooner than later.

I am a 90's nut, no more than I am an 80's nut.

Anyhow, I don't get into the whole "decade fan" debate.
I think it's silly and often an easy defense to a legitimate criticism that a person takes offense to.

I think a lot of us like the whole catalog to a certain extent, some songs more than others, some albums more than others.

U2DMfan said:

I think it's silly and often an easy defense to a legitimate criticism that a person takes offense to.

I think a lot of us like the whole catalog to a certain extent, some songs more than others, some albums more than others.

Amen.

U2DMfan said:
All Because of You-

That's true. I think from Bono's "Heeeyaaaah" parts, through Edge's part, into the scream and "I'm alive" onwards is the best part of the album by far. By a mile. It's the only part that gives me a jump really. It's a shame the first two minutes are one of the extreme low points. I hear this last part of All Because of You, I hear Native Son, I hear Xanax & Wine and I think "Good lord, they rock".... I think that's the '4 guys in a room' sound that I want to hear. Not 4 guys in a room.... next door to a room that is filled by 20 producers and $15million worth of sonic equipment... 4 guys knocking out some blistering rock.

Last edited:
Earnie Shavers said:

That's true. I think from Bono's "Heeeyaaaah" parts, through Edge's part, into the scream and "I'm alive" onwards is the best part of the album by far. By a mile. It's the only part that gives me a jump really.

Probably my favorite rock moment by any artist since Nirvana's heyday over 10 yrs ago.

U2DMfan said:

Well... I'm not saying I'm a 90s nut as in I don't care for the 80s! I love a lot of their material from the 80s! I mean... JT, War, UF, Boy.. c'mon! But the truth is I really got into them only in 1992 and grew up with Achtung, Zooropa and Pop. The songs, the images, the attitude... if I HAD to choose, the 90s win hands down!

Earnie Shavers said:

That's true. I think from Bono's "Heeeyaaaah" parts, through Edge's part, into the scream and "I'm alive" onwards is the best part of the album by far. By a mile. It's the only part that gives me a jump really. It's a shame the first two minutes are one of the extreme low points. I hear this last part of All Because of You, I hear Native Son, I hear Xanax & Wine and I think "Good lord, they rock".... I think that's the '4 guys in a room' sound that I want to hear. Not 4 guys in a room.... next door to a room that is filled by 20 producers and $15million worth of sonic equipment... 4 guys knocking out some blistering rock.

:up:

I love that part in ABOY. Probably my fav moment in the album too... apart from the Edge solo in Miracle Drug and the verse guitar of Crumbs!

Zootlesque said:

:up:

I love that part in ABOY. Probably my fav moment in the album too... apart from the Edge solo in Miracle Drug and the verse guitar of Crumbs!

My favorite moments on the record:

Towards the end of the second verse of Vertigo, around 'swinging to the music', Edge starts playing a repetition of notes that sound very UF-era-like, and I love it.

Edge's solo/singing in Miracle Drug.

The intro to LAPOE, Edge's solo in LAPOE. Hell, the entirety of LAPOE.

COBL - 'time won't leave me as I am/but time won't take the boy out of this man'

AMAAW - midway through the song, there is a moment when Edge sings 'oh - oh oh oh oh' soaring behind Bono's vocal. Also, shortly after this, there are few lines of lyrics that are sung in a falsetto and are double-layered. Either Bono has to vocals on top of each other or he and Edge are singing at the same time. Either way, I love it.

Crumbs - the outro.

One Step Closer - whenever, after Bono sings 'to knowing', Edge sings a falstto-ish 'know-ow'. Beautiful.

Yahweh - I think the song is bland but at the end when Edge starts singing 'oh - oh oh - oh oh - oh oh - oh oh', that IS a really good moment.

Fast Cars - the 'don't you worry 'bout your mind' verse. The alternating singing between Bono and Edge is :drool:

namkcuR said:

Towards the end of the second verse of Vertigo, around 'swinging to the music', Edge starts playing a repetition of notes that sound very UF-era-like, and I love it.

Keeping positive along those lines:

Vertigo-right after "checkmated, hours of fun etc. ", that Edge riff is pretty killer, probably my second favorite part of the whole album. That is my idea of great "vintage" Edge. Also, the chorus guitar on COBL would fall into that category. The "time won't leave me as I am" bit is cool too. The Sometimes bit right before the big note "I'm sick of it all", I think that was really well done.

I also really love the acoustic/electric riff mix on Crumbs verses, that sounds outstanding. Love and Peace or Else towards the end (solo, if you want), Edge has that almost Rattle and Hum moment, damn cool. I really like the Edge bit "beneath the noise" of Miracle Drug, I wish that lasted one more verse.
Edge during the "everywhere you go" part of OOTS is cool too.
There is a moment on A Man and a Woman I really like, can't pinpoint it off the top of my head. Yahweh "sun comes up on the ocean" best part of that song by far.

And yeah, I agree with namckur about the Fast Cars "bridge" or whatever you want to call it, I just think it's done better on Xanax. Bono really belts out the last "MIND!!!!" Edge shines on that whole fucking song. The riff is quirky but me likes.

Edge has his great moments, he always does.

namkcuR said:
I have this idea for what it could have been, and I think it would have worked very well. Since the record, including its title, is very much about the death of Bono's father and how Bono has dealt/is dealing with it, I was thinking that the cover art could just be Bono standing in front of a mirror on a black background, but the reflection in the mirror, instead of being Bono, would be Bob Hewson - to go along with the lyric, 'it's you when I look in the mirror'. Perhaps in the bottom corner of the front cover, there could be a small dedication: "For Bob Hewson". Just an idea.

I liked my own idea so much that I decided to try to put something together in Photoshop to show you all what I'm thinking:

bombmirror4li.jpg

Thoughts?

Interesting idea but it seems too personal and a little too obvious, I doubt they'd ever do something like that.

I don't quarrel with their artwork much, I think Anton Corbijn is a bad ass.

Overall I like the red and black scheme quite a bit, maybe a singular image of some kind would have been interesting, other than a band photo, I mean.

I like the picture of them in the desert quite a bit.

http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/view.shtml?images/alb019-32.jpg

Last edited:
I like the general character of the 8mm footage screen grabs they put in the album booklet. Maybe one of those would have worked better on the front.

namkcuR said:

My favorite moments on the record:

Edge's solo/singing in Miracle Drug.

The intro to LAPOE, Edge's solo in LAPOE. Hell, the entirety of LAPOE.

COBL - 'time won't leave me as I am/but time won't take the boy out of this man'

AMAAW - midway through the song, there is a moment when Edge sings 'oh - oh oh oh oh' soaring behind Bono's vocal. Also, shortly after this, there are few lines of lyrics that are sung in a falsetto and are double-layered. Either Bono has to vocals on top of each other or he and Edge are singing at the same time. Either way, I love it.

Crumbs - the outro.

One Step Closer - whenever, after Bono sings 'to knowing', Edge sings a falstto-ish 'know-ow'. Beautiful.

Yahweh - I think the song is bland but at the end when Edge starts singing 'oh - oh oh - oh oh - oh oh - oh oh', that IS a really good moment.

Fast Cars - the 'don't you worry 'bout your mind' verse. The alternating singing between Bono and Edge is :drool:
according to the booklet its adam doing backing vocals on one step closer

Re: Re: Thoughts On Atomic Bomb

namkcuR said:

I liked my own idea so much that I decided to try to put something together in Photoshop to show you all what I'm thinking:

bombmirror4li.jpg

Thoughts?

Oh dear, how subtle....lol

Nice attempt there namkcuR.. but as someone said, it would probably have to be more subtle than that! And Bono's pose sucks. Many of his poses these days seem to look dumb. :tsk:

Zootlesque said:
Nice attempt there namkcuR.. but as someone said, it would probably have to be more subtle than that! And Bono's pose sucks. Many of his poses these days seem to look dumb. :tsk:

There are no bloody pics of the man in his current state with his back to the camera. That is the only one I could find :wink:

Back
Top Bottom