Thoughts On Atomic Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The problem with the album cover, really, is that THEY'RE SITTING DOWN!!! These guys are trying to sound youthful and ready to take on all the young rock bands, and they can't even stand up for a photograph? It just looks lazy. Adam looks like he's on some commuter train and doesn't want to be touching the guy next to him, Larry looks like he's about to shrink into the background, and Bono has his leg crossed! That's not rock and roll? At least Edge has the right idea looking like a gang member, but he's the only one! The contrast on Bono & Larry renders them barely visible which is just sloppy on Corbjin's part.

I'm a huge Anton fan, but this is just the all time worst cover. There were much better photos taken from these sessions that were on the calendar. ATYCLB ran circles around it, and looked a hell of a lot less "posed". They look like they're at the airport. Or on JT, in the desert. Here they look like they're sitting near someone's pool in Beverly Hills.

The whole booklet sucks, with all the still frames taken from the video footage. It looks cheap. I love the red and black and the diagonal lines, but I've always felt like the real creativity was saved for the special edition book, which is awesome.

Go back and look at the AB or POP booklet, and then have another look at HTDAAB. Then have a good cry.

I totally admit this may just be me… but because I'm a young U2 fan the only album release I remember tin ATYCLB… as such I feel all the albums are great, but all for different reasons. I love U2 because there are the songs you instantly love, and there are those songs which you only appreciate after you have listened to then 500 times… once again, this may just be me. I understand how HTDAAB can be dissatisfying… but remember, we have all had years to grow to love there other albums, and expecting one thing and getting another can be instantly off-putting. I love the album, but perhaps for different reasons why I love some of the other albums…. Meh, just my thoughts… not sure if I'm even coherent…

Hmm, I can see Lazarus's point regarding the bizarre looking slumped poses of some of the lads on the HTDAAB cover, but I don't think the liner notes and overall design are that bad, although it's certainly not their best effort. That honour belongs to Zoorapa I feel.

U2DMfan said:

Overall I like the red and black scheme quite a bit, maybe a singular image of some kind would have been interesting, other than a band photo, I mean.

Agreed, I think the red and black scheme works quite well.

Overall, not their best album cover design but I think it beats the three earliest albums hands down (as it should)

i like the image of a boy, on the ablbum of "Boy", and the continuity of the war torn boy on war to me shows solidarity and forsight

I think the album art is fine, not their worst. My favorite album art is from Achtung Baby. I know the cover is a little "busy" or whatever, but some of the images, like the graveyard in the middle of paradise, are just awesome.

My favorite album cover has always been The Unforgettable Fire. It's so dated, yes, but also so surreal, just like the very best parts of the album.

On the subject of HTDAAB's album art, I actually LIKE the cover. It's cool in U2's very "We're cool because we're uncool" way.

For an album where the band should be jumping and standing like badasses, they are sitting on their asses. I dare not call it 'ironic' but it's clever. I like it. :shrug:

Lancemc said:

On the subject of HTDAAB's album art, I actually LIKE the cover. It's cool in U2's very "We're cool because we're uncool" way.

For an album where the band should be jumping and standing like badasses, they are sitting on their asses. I dare not call it 'ironic' but it's clever. I like it. :shrug:

I agree...It's similar to the Best of the 90's artwork, where they're standing around looking all badass, and they're such losers but it's cool. :cool:

The cover art isn't too bad, but when I compare it to ATYCLB, it just doesn't do anything for me.

Actually, that's not true. The cover makes me laugh a little, just because of their facial expressions.
Larry looks like he's just been told his dog is dead.
Bono looks as though he finds this quite funny, but doesn't want to laugh.
Edge seems to have fallen asleep.
Adam looks as if he's sat on something ouchy.

Back
Top Bottom