Those with the U2 iPod... how do you protect it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Searcher

The Fly
My GF just got me a U2 iPod (incredibly excited) and I want to keep it in really good condition. But I want to know some ways of preserving it (they're going to stop making this soon...)

Jeannieco said:
I am confused. Does U2 want us to buy their iPod or the RED iPod?:wink:

I'm sure they would rather you buy the Product RED one.... I don't know if the U2 one has any affiliation with RED or a charity.

Yeah but the red one only comes in the teeny tiny nano size doesn't it? I'm sure U2 would like someone who can fill up a proper big boy iPod with good music.

I use the black case I got with it... and it has NO scratches (got it when it came out, a little less than a year ago?)
So if you're just careful with it, it won't scratch :)

just got my new iPod :drool:

normal black one, not the u2 one... the u2 special edition hath been retired. coulda gotten the u2 video one but you had to order it by mail through best buy and i didn't feel like waiting for it and wanted to burn my gift cards right then and there :drool:

so thus then, no u2 one... i'm a sell out, but a happy one... the old one broke every two months :mad:

Actually I'm not a fan of iSkin because it's so hard to get on and off. I also hated the texture and sent mine back.

Instead, I bought the transparent hard case for mine which is perfect for traveling: great protection, no scratches and easy to plug headphones and cord in. But also easy to take apart so I can insert my iPod in my player at home. Much cheaper, too.

I have the u2 video ipod, and got the leather special edition case from incase that goes with it. It has kept my ipod in perfect condition, but it drives me nuts that there's no clip or strap or anyway to attach it to myself for those times when I don't have pockets. Other than that, I love it! It's great that the back is clear so the engraved autographs can be seen. I also love that it matches the HTDAAB packaging.

I use the black case I got with it... and it has NO scratches (got it when it came out, a little less than a year ago?)
Maybe is because you never use your iPod :|, because I had that damn thing with me for about 6 months and it made some serious scratches to my iPod...horrible.

silvrlvr said:
Actually I'm not a fan of iSkin because it's so hard to get on and off. I also hated the texture and sent mine back.

Instead, I bought the transparent hard case for mine which is perfect for traveling: great protection, no scratches and easy to plug headphones and cord in. But also easy to take apart so I can insert my iPod in my player at home. Much cheaper, too.
It's not hard, it's practice :wink:
I used to have a transparent hard case and it was cool while I never put my iPod in my pockets because all the jeans stuff and little dust get in middle of the iPod and the case or if I take it to the beach so the sand get in middle of that tiny space between the iPod and the hard case, scratching it.
So, I had to take it out clean it and again, put it back in the case.
The headphones and cord are easy to put in the iSkin too... never had a problem with it. I obviously don't see a problem with this iSkin thing, it is cool...
-FCA

Last edited:
u2fan628 said:
I use it all the time without any protection! I'm old school.and when it stops working I'll just keep it for show.
You won't be so happy about that when your iPod gets an STD. :no:

fca780 said:

Maybe is because you never use your iPod :|, because I had that damn thing with me for about 6 months and it made some serious scratches to my iPod...horrible.
-FCA

:happy: nope, I never use it......

:wink: about 3 hours a day when it's a regular day... on my way to school, during boring classes, on my way back home....

I've had my original U2 iPod for the whole two years now, and have never had a problem with it.

I use it at least several hours a day (most days) and have a little black leather case for it (it's got a clear plastic thing over the screen, and all that's exposed is the click wheel).

It hasn't got a scratch on it and looks as beautiful as it did the day it came via UPS.

corianderstem said:
I've had my original U2 iPod for the whole two years now, and have never had a problem with it.

I use it at least several hours a day (most days) and have a little black leather case for it (it's got a clear plastic thing over the screen, and all that's exposed is the click wheel).

It hasn't got a scratch on it and looks as beautiful as it did the day it came via UPS.

Me too. Still shines like the first day I unpacked the box :):)
Just always be careful..

fca780 said:
The iSkin Evo is the best protection you'll ever get for an iPod, believe me, I have used millions of brands and this is the best one. The case that comes with the iPod is crap so, don't try to protect it with that thing... http://www.iskin.com/eVo3/index.tpl?cart=11671985651671008 and there's a special edition for the U2 iPod
-FCA

I prefer the case that comes with the iPod. Mine U2 iPod has no scratches at all...

tonyhotland said:

Me too. Still shines like the first day I unpacked the box :):)
Just always be careful..

=========

Eye one better...I have not used it....I expect it to become a rare collectors item.

So I got myself the iPod nano in white which matches my iMac in white which matches the white wireless i-mouse and white wireless i-keyboard but does not match the silver Powerbook Pro...and btw, Steve, where is the i-Printer?

I cannot keep up....as soon as I open an Apple product box, I find on the i-Store a new and revised model of what I just got. Eye am becoming bewildered.....what can i-Do?

and I won't even mention i-Tunes and all the other i-Items there are like i-Chat and i-Life.

yours truly,
Me

:|

Eye take that back...the silver Powerbook Pro does match...now that I look at it.....there is a White translucent Apple in the center of it. Good work, Steve, but please be kind to us and stop updating so fast.

Sorry to get off the subject...no I do not have a case for the iPod nano (but give me time..no doubt I will).

your i-Friend,

Yes, eye see more clearly now.....the iMac has a silver translucent Apple and silver stand which just reverses the Powerbook Pro. Great thinking, Steve.

No wonder I keep searching for that "elusive Eye"....it's all these i-Things which surround me. I am sure your fine iTeam will be creating more iItems.

iTruly,

victor_f said:

I prefer the case that comes with the iPod. Mine U2 iPod has no scratches at all...

Just wait... or at least, if you want to have this U2 collector's item safe I wouldn't use it at all, but if you are going to use it (is an iPod after all...) I always recommend a very good case, been a worker in an Apple Store people always ask me the same thing and suggest me about using the "case" that comes with iPod, but believe me, I've seen horrible cases, it all depends in where and how often you are going to use it...

wizard2c, you need help, u're nuts! :huh:
good case MrBrau1, but still is a very big case, you don't need something that gigant for your iPod, keep it simple...
-FCA

fca780 wrote:

"wizard2c, you need help, u're nuts! "

===========

Thank you for the comment. Just trying to add a bit of humor...sorry! I'll stay within DOL. BTW I have been a Mac person for many a year....some of my programs are Final Cut Pro with broadcast quality Canon video camcorder, Photoshop Pro, & Overture to name a few. Sorry to have deviated from the subject.

Re: Re: Those with the U2 iPod... how do you protect it?

MrBrau1 said:

This is the best Ipod case. I've had it for 3 years. As has my brother.

http://www.contourcase.com/showcase/showcase4g/

I have one, too, & I have to agree. It's perfect for the U2 iPod. The clear face lets you see the whole design, and there's a window in the back to see the "autographs." If you cover all the extra U2 stuff up, what's the point of getting a U2 iPod?

Back
Top Bottom